Dr. Verduin is the Associate Dean for Students and a Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Central Florida College of Medicine (UCF COM). She graduated from the University of Florida College of Medicine and completed her residency training and addiction psychiatry fellowship at the Medical University of South Carolina. She is a Fellow of the American College of Psychiatrists and a Distinguished Fellow of the APA. Her clinical work is currently based at UCF Health, where she provides consultative services on an outpatient basis; she previously worked with Orlando’s veteran population in a residential rehabilitation unit at the Orlando VAMC. In 2007, Dr. Verduin became the first psychiatry faculty member at UCF’s new medical school, where she played an integral role in developing the overarching undergraduate medical education curriculum, establishing policies and procedures, hiring faculty and staff, and securing LCME accreditation.
After demonstrating her skills as a highly valuable faculty member at UCF, Dr. Verduin gained increasing leadership responsibilities as the Associate Dean for Students. In this role, she has spent the past decade growing the Student Affairs Office into a robust unit that oversees the areas of Admissions, Student Academic Support, Student Financial Services, Student Records, Student Services, and Student Counseling and Wellness. Her work in developing a strong career advising program for medical students gained national recognition as the sole recipient of the 2015 AAMC Excellence in Medical Student Career Advising Program Award.
In addition to her roles at UCF COM, Dr. Verduin serves as the Vice Chair for the ABPN’s Addiction Psychiatry Article-Based Assessment Committee, as a member of the ACGME Addiction Psychiatry Milestones 2.0 Work Group, and as the Book Editor for the Journal of Psychiatric Practice. Additionally, Dr. Verduin is currently serving as the AAMC’s Group on Student Affairs (GSA) representative to the NBME’s Advisory Committee for Medical School Programs, as the Chair of the Southern GSA, and as a member of the AAMC’s Careers in Medicine Advisory Committee. She is a Past President of the Association of Academic Psychiatry and has served as a member of the Board of Regents for the American College of Psychiatrists. Dr. Verduin has been honored for her work as a founding faculty member at UCF’s medical school with the UCF Women Making History award.
- Hernandez C, Daly K, Mehta A, Verduin M. A pilot study examining biofeedback and structured napping to promote medical student wellbeing. AMEE MedEdPublish, 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15694/mep.2019.000110.1
- Green EP, Dallaghan GL, O’Hearn DJ, Verduin ML, Zehle CH. Establishing fair and ethical medical student promotions committees. Med Sci Educ 2018;28:561-7.
- Cendan JC, Castiglioni A, Johnson TR, Eakins M, Verduin ML, Asmar A, Metcalf D, Hernandez C. Quantitative and qualitative analysis of the impact of adoption of a mobile application for the assessment of professionalism in medical trainees. Acad Med 2017;92:S33-S42.
- Verduin ML. Improving the recruitment of medical students into psychiatry. Acad Psychiatry 2017;41(2):207-12.
- Verduin ML. Commentary on 2 cases of takotsubo cardiomyopathy involving psychotropic medication. J Psychiatr Pract, 2016;22(3):239-40.
- Dube B, Verduin M. A brief examination of integrated care in undergraduate medical education. Acad Psychiatry 2015;39(4):457-60.
- Verduin M, Balon R, Coverdale J, Louie A, Beresin E, Roberts L. The rising cost of medical education and its significance for (not only) psychiatry. Acad Psychiatry 2014;38(3):305-8.
- Verduin ML. Design and implementation of a novel behavioral sciences course for first year medical students. Acad Psychiatry 2014;38(1):96-9.
- Verduin M, Boland RJ, Guthrie TM. New directions in medical education related to psychiatry. Int Rev Psychiatry 2013;25(3):338-46.
- Verduin ML, LaRowe SD, Myrick H, Cannon-Bowers J, Bowers C. Computer simulation games as an adjunct for treatment in male veterans with alcohol use disorder. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 2013;44:316-22.
- Bowers C, Procci K, Joyce R, Verduin M, LaRowe S, Cannon-Bowers JA, Smith, P. Serious games for therapy: a training perspective. Journal of Cybertherapy and Rehabilitation 2011;4(4):447.
- Gao K, Chan PK, Verduin ML, Kemp DE, Tolliver BK, Ganocy SJ, Bilali S, Brady KT, Findling RL, Calabrese JR. Independent predictors for lifetime and recent substance use disorders in patients with rapid-cycling bipolar disorder: focus on anxiety disorders. Am J Addict 2010;19:440-9.
- Joyce R, Verduin M, LaRowe S, Bowers C, Cannon-Bowers J. Lessons learned: adult learners and serious game design. Journal of Instruction Delivery Systems 2009;23(3):6-16.
- McRae-Clark AL, Verduin ML, Tolliver BK, Carter RE, Wahlquist AE, Brady KT, Cluver JS, Anderson S. An open-label trial of aripiprazole treatment in dual diagnosis individuals: safety and efficacy. J Dual Diagn 2009;5(1):83-96.
- Abulseoud OA, Hellmann G, Calabrese JR, Verduin ML, Chirichigno JW, McKowen J, Gitlin MJ, Altshuler LL, Frye MA. Sex and Bipolar Subtype Association with Self-Reported Hazardous Alcohol Consumption in Bipolar Depression. J Dual Diagn 2008;4(3):291-302.
- Gao K, Tolliver B, Kemp DE, Verduin ML, Ganocy SJ, Bilali S, Brady K, Shim SS, Findling R, Calabrese JR. Differential interactions between comorbid anxiety disorders and substance use disorder in rapid cycling bipolar I or II disorder. J Affect Disord 2008;110(1-2):167-73.
- Tolliver BK, McRae AL, Verduin ML, Anderson SJ, Brady KT. Reversible elevation of triglycerides in dual diagnosis patients taking aripiprazole: a case series. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2008;28(4):464-7.
- Gao K, Verduin ML, Kemp DE, Tolliver B, Ganocy SJ, Elhaj O, Brady K, Findling RL, Calabrese JR. Clinical correlates of patients with rapid cycling bipolar disorder and a recent history of substance use disorder: a subtype comparison from baseline data of 2 randomized, placebo-controlled trials. J Clin Psychiatry 2008;69(7):1057-63.
- Brady KT, Verduin ML, Tolliver BK. Treatment of patients comorbid for addiction and other psychiatric disorders. Curr Psychiatry Rep 2007;9(5):374-80.
- Verduin ML, Payne RA, McRae AL, Back SE, Simpson SA, Sarang RY, Brady KT. Assessment of club drug use in a treatment-seeking sample of individuals with marijuana dependence. Am J Addict 2007;16:1-4.
- Verduin ML, Upadhyaya H. Beating nicotine: medication algorithm helps teens quit. Current Psychiatry 2007;6(10):65-74.
- Verduin ML, McKay S, Brady KT. Gabapentin in comorbid anxiety and substance use. Am J Addict 2007;16:1-2.
- Waldrop AE, Back SE, Verduin ML, Brady KT. Triggers for cocaine and alcohol use in the presence and absence of posttraumatic stress disorder. Addict Behav 2007;32:634-9.
- Brady KT, Tolliver BK, Verduin ML. Alcohol use and anxiety: diagnostic and management issues. Am J Psychiatry 2007;164:217-21.
- Back SE, Brady KT, Sonne SC, Verduin ML. Symptom improvement in co-occurring PTSD and alcohol dependence. J Nerv Ment Dis 2006;194(9):690-6.
- Verduin ML, Carter RE, Brady KT, Myrick H, Timmerman M. Health service use among persons with comorbid bipolar and substance use disorders. Psychiatr Serv 2005; 56(4):475-80.
- Brady KT, Verduin ML. Pharmacotherapy of co-morbid mood, anxiety, and substance use disorders. Subst Use Misuse 2005; 40:2021-41.
- Verduin ML, Labbate LA. Psychosis and delirium following Metabolife use. Psychopharmacol Bull 2002 Summer; 36(3):42-5.
- Shapira NA, Verduin ML, DeGraw JD. Treatment of refractory major depression with tramadol monotherapy. J Clin Psychiatry 2001 Mar; 62(3):205-6.
- Recognized by Orlando Magazine as one of Orlando’s Best Doctors, 2019
- Recognized by Orlando Magazine as one of Orlando’s Top Doctors, 2017 – 2018
- AAMC Careers in Medicine Excellence in Medical Student Career Advising Program Award, Presented to the UCF College of Medicine Physician Advising & Support System (COMPASS) Program, 2015
- Elevated to Fellow status, The American College of Psychiatrists, 2015
- Elevated to Distinguished Fellow status, American Psychiatric Association, 2014
- Excellence in Teaching Award for teaching in the M1 year, University of Central Florida College of Medicine, 2011
- Recipient, 19th Annual Nancy C.A. Roeske, M.D., Certificate of Recognition for Excellence in Medical School Education, American Psychiatric Association, 2011
- Elevated to Fellow status, American Psychiatric Association, 2011
- First Place, Poster Competition, Association for Academic Psychiatry Annual Meeting, Pasadena, CA, September 2010
- Recipient, Women Making History Award 2010 – Faculty Women of Prominence Project, University of Central Florida, 2010
- Scholar, Alcohol Medical Scholars Program, 2009 – 2011
- Early Career Investigator Award, College on Problems of Drug Dependence, 2007
- Golden Apple Award – Outstanding Faculty Lecturer in the Third Year Psychiatry Clerkship, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, 2007, 2006
- Golden Apple Award – Outstanding Resident Lecturer in the Third Year Psychiatry Clerkship, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001