The Health Affairs Legal Department provides a variety of functions, including Legal and Compliance; Strategic Initiatives and Partnerships; and Healthcare Transformation. The department is overseen by the Senior Associate Vice President for Health Affairs and Deputy General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer for the College of Medicine, Jeanette Schreiber.
Each member of the Health Affairs Legal Department is committed to helping Administrators, Faculty and Staff across all missions and divisions address issues, solve problems and advance the work of the College of Medicine, the Academic Health Sciences Center and UCF. If you need assistance with legal or strategic support for health interests of the university, please contact one of the Health Affairs Legal Department Team Members.
The Health Affairs Legal Department is located at the College of Medicine on the Lake Nona Health Sciences campus and operates as a branch of the University Office of General Counsel. The Department provides legal oversight and management for all College of Medicine departments, units and related entities, including Central Florida Clinical Practice Organization, Inc. (CFCPO); UCF Academic Health, Inc. (UCFAH); and the UCF COM Self Insurance Program (SIP), and supports health-related legal needs of the UCF’s Academic Health Sciences Center and other health units.
Areas of legal and related services include:
· Counseling on legal and regulatory questions and concerns
· Contracts review, drafting, negotiation, approval and management
· Compliance, ethics, and conflicts of interest (in concert with UCF Compliance, Ethics and Risk)
· HIPAA and other health privacy and security including policy development, compliance, and training
· Federal Stark and Anti-kickback and similar Florida laws and requirements
· Industry Relations including policy development, compliance, and training
· Development and implementation of business initiatives, joint ventures, partnerships and affiliations
· Medicare and Medicaid certifications
· Student and Resident affairs, Graduate Medical Education
· Licensing and certifications
· Liability, risk management and the UCF College of Medicine Self Insurance Program
· University approvals, regulations and policies
· Audits and investigations
· Liaison with UCF Government Relations
· Coordination with other General Counsel attorneys on matters such as employment, intellectual property, research oversight and compliance
The Department is also home to HealthARCH, a multidisciplinary College of Medicine program that serves community physicians and providers and health care networks across Florida in implementing best practices in quality of care, operations and transforming healthcare payment and delivery.
The Health Affairs Legal Department may be reached at COMLegal@ucf.edu or by contacting our Team Members.