Creating an Acting Internship or Elective
The UCF College of Medicine welcomes course proposals for Electives and Acting Internship opportunities for our third and fourth-year medical students.
To create a new elective, please complete a Course Proposal Form and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be notified by UCF COM when you have the initial approval, which will allow you to start taking students.
Who can Submit Course Proposals:
It is preferred that your hospital/clinic location is within 50 miles of Orlando, FL, unless you are located in Tampa, Ocala, or Gainesville.
- Any physician with a current faculty appointment at UCF COM – More information about the affiliated/volunteer faculty program and application can be found at the following link:
Affiliated and Volunteer Faculty
- We will accept proposals from
- Private Practices
- Hospitals and Clinics, etc.
- If you work for the HCA system, you can submit courses for M4 students if the course is currently active in your elective system. Check with your educational department for additional requirements.
- If you work for Advent Health or Orlando Health, check with your GME/educational department for additional requirements.
Course Approval Process:
Each course must be adequately described in writing by the course director, and suitable supplementary documentation provided to be considered for approval. The purpose of these requirements is to ensure each course meets the goals and objectives of UCF College of Medicine. Submitted course proposals will be reviewed monthly by the MD program curriculum committee
Two-week Elective – Available to M4 students. It can be clinical, non-clinical, or research.
Four-week Elective – Available to M3 and/or M4 students. It can be clinical, non-clinical, or research.
Four-week Acting Internship – Available to M4 students. The student should be working at the level of an intern. Must be clinical.
Please review the course catalogs below to review the current courses that UCF College of Medicine offers. If the course you are interested in submitting aligns with an existing course, we may be able to add your course as an additional site to a current course.
Please note in your email submission that you believe your course can be used as an additional site.
M4 Course Catalog: https://med.ucf.edu/media/2022/02/2022-2023-M4-Curriculum-Brochure.pdf
M3 Elective Course Catalog: https://med.ucf.edu/media/2021/09/2021-2022-M3-Elective-Catalog.pdf
Course Proposal Forms:
We currently have two Course Proposal forms. The long form should be used if a new course proposal is being submitted. The short form should be used if the course being submitted will be added as a new site to an existing course.
Return the completed form to: email@example.com.
To assist you with completing the form, review the examples below:
- Example 1 – Acting Internship
- Example 2 – Clinical Elective
- Example 3 – Non-Clinical Elective
- Example 4 – Research Elective
Support for Faculty and Course Development:
The UCF COM Faculty Affairs Department has resources to support faculty through the various stages and processes in an academic appointment and course proposal process. The office includes three divisions: Non-Salaried Faculty, Faculty Development, and Continuous Professional Development.