- M3/M4 Assistant Dean for Medical Education, Orlando, FL (2021 – present)
- Medical Director and Advisor for UCF KNIGHTS Student-Run Free Clinic (2014- present)
- Education Chair for Family Medicine, University of Central Florida College of Medicine (2014- present)
- Professor of Medicine Tenured, University of Central Florida College of Medicine, Medical Education, Orlando, FL (2021- present)
- Associate Professor of Medicine University of Central Florida College of Medicine, Medical Education, Orlando, FL (2014- present)
- Assistant Program Director, Family Medicine Residency Allopathic Program, Florida Hospital, Winter Park, FL (2012-2014)
- Faculty Scientist – Investigator, Translational Research Institute for Metabolism and Diabetes – FH, Orlando, FL (2012-2014)
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Florida State University College of Medicine, Orlando, FL (2012-2014)
For a complete list of publications, please click here.
- Israel E, …, Pasarica M, Calderon-Candelario RA, Tapp H, Baydur A, Pace WD. Reliever-Triggered Inhaled Glucocorticoid in Black and Latinx Adults with Asthma. N Engl J Med. 2022 Feb 26. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2118813
- Pasarica M, Boring M*, Lessans S*. Current Practices in the Instruction of Lifestyle Medicine in Medical Curricula. Patient Educ Couns. 2022 Feb;105(2):339-345. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2021.05.042
- Pasarica M, Kay D. Teaching Lifestyle Medicine Competencies in Undergraduate Medical Education: Active Collaborative Intervention for Students at Multiple Locations. Advances in Physiology Education. 2020 Sept1;44(3):488-495 (2020).
- Pasarica M, Denise K, Cameron R. Using Active Pedagogies to Advance Learning for Lifestyle Medicine: an Approach for Medical Students. Advances in Physiology Education. 1;43(2):191-195
- Kushner RF, Horn DB, Butsh S, Duncan K, Fugate C, Igel L, Pasarica M, Pennings N, Soleymani T, Velazquez T. Development of Obesity Competencies for Medical Education: A Report from The Obesity Medicine. Obesity (Silver Spring). 27(7):1063-1067. (2019)
- Pasarica M, Harris DM, Franklin AL. Medical students teaching peer athletes: an innovative way of instructing the physiology of exercise, nutrition, and sleep as fundamentals for lifestyle medicine. Advances in Physiology Education. 41(3):432-435.
- Lee JS*, Combs K*, KNIGHTS Research Group 2016*, Pasarica M@. Improving Efficiency While Improving Patient Care in a Student-Run Free Clinic. Journal of the American Board Family Medicine. 30(4):513-519.
- Pasarica M, Rood J, Ravussin E, Schwarz JM, Smith SR, Redman LM. Reduced oxygenation in human obese adipose tissue is associated with impaired insulin suppression of lipolysis. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 95(8): 4052-5. (2010).
- Pasarica M, Tchoukalova YD, Heilbronn LK, Fang X, Albu JB, Kelley DE, Smith SR, Ravussin E; Look AHEAD Adipose Research Group. Differential effect of weight loss on adipocyte size subfractions in patients with type 2 diabetes. Obesity (Silver Spring). 17(10): 1976-8.
- Pasarica M, Sereda O, Redman L, Albarado D, Hydel D, Roan L, Rood J, Burk D, Smith SR. Reduced adipose tissue oxygenation in human obesity – evidence for rarefaction, macrophage chemotaxis and inflammation without an angiogenic response. Diabetes. 58(3): 718-25.
- Pasarica M, Mashtalir N, Koska J, Permana P, de Courten B, Yu M, Ravussin E, Gimble J, Dhurandhar NV. Adipogenic human adenovirus Ad-36 induces commitment, differentiation and lipid accumulation in human adipose derived stem cells. Stem Cells. 26(4): 969-78. (2008)
- Pasarica M, Dhurandhar N – A Clinical Approach to Pharmacological Management of the Patient with Obesity. Obesity Prevention and Treatment: A Practical Guide. Eds. James M. Rippe. Taylor & Francis. (2021)
- Pasarica M, Dhurandhar N. Pharmacological Management of the Obese Patient. In Lifestyle Medicine, 3rd Eds. James M. Rippe. Taylor & Francis. pp491-504 (2019)
- Pasarica M, Smith S. – Drugs for Weight Loss and Maintenance: Present and Future. In “Treatment of the Obese Patient, Second Edition”. Eds. Robert F. Kushner and Daniel H. Bessessen, Springer. pp 225-246 (2014)
- Pasarica M, Dhurandhar RN, Mashtalir N, and Dhurandhar NV. Viral Induction of Obesity and Adipogenesis. In “Adipose Tissue in Health and Disease”. Eds. T Leff and J.G. Granneman. Wiley-Blackwell. pp 307-332. (2010)
- Pasarica M, Dhurandhar NV. Infectobesity: obesity of infectious origin. In “Advance in Food and Nutrition Research- volume 52” Ed Steve L Taylor. Elsevier. pp 61-102. (2007)
Education & Specialties
- M.D.: 2002, University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Carol Davila,” Bucharest, Romania
- Ph.D. (Nutrition): 2006, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship (Endocrinology): 2009, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA
- Residency (Family Medicine): 2012, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, El Dorado, AR
- Lifestyle medicine
- Obesity medicine
- Underserved medicine
- UCF MD program: IM/FM clerkship, Endocrinology Module, Interprofessional Education, Longitudinal Curriculum themes, Transition to residency course, Practice of Medicine, and Independent research courses
- Medical education research (lifestyle, obesity, prevention, scholarship skills)
- Quality improvement for optimization of patient care
In The News
MD Edge Podcast: The Opioid Crisis