Dr. Lindsay Taliaferro received her Ph.D. in Health Behavior from the University of Florida in 2009. She then completed a Postdoctoral Fellowship in the Healthy Youth Development -Prevention Research Center, Department of Pediatrics at the University of Minnesota. Dr. Taliaferro is a Certified Health Education Specialist. The UCF College of Medicine welcomed Dr. Taliaferro as an Assistant Professor of Medicine in July of 2016. Dr. Taliaferro is a member of the Department of Population Health Sciences. Her primary role focuses on Population Health research, with an emphasis on the prevention of suicide and non-suicidal self-injury among youth. She has conducted trainings with pediatric residents on assessing and managing non-suicidal self-injury among adolescents.
She applies a strengths-based approach in her research by focusing on identifying protective factors that might reduce risk of suicide ideation, suicidal behavior, and non-suicidal self-injury, as well as facilitate healthy development and use of healthcare services among adolescents and young adults. A population of particular interest to her is sexual and gender minority youth. In 2019, Dr. Taliaferro won a Sexual and Gender Minority Early Stage Investigator Award from the National Institutes of Health (NIH). She currently has funding from the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities and the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention to examine the role of sexual/gender identity-specific individual and interpersonal protective factors as moderators of suicide risk among young lesbian and bisexual women, as well as transgender and gender non-binary young adults.
Lindsay Taliaferro is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Association of Suicidology, International Society for the Study of Self-Injury, Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine, Youth Suicide Research Consortium, and American School Health Association. She has presented her research at numerous national, international, and local conferences, and published scholarly articles in a variety of peer-reviewed scientific journals.
Selected Peer-reviewed articles
- Areba EM, Taliaferro LA, Forster M, McMorris BJ, Mathiason MA, Eisenberg ME. Adverse childhood experiences and suicidality: student connectedness as a protective factor for ethnic minority adolescents. Children and Youth Services Review, 2021; 120:105637.
- Rogers ML, Taliaferro LA. Self-injurious thoughts and behaviors among sexual and gender minority youth: a systematic review of recent research. Current Sexual Health Reports, 2020; 12:335-350.
- Taliaferro LA, Doty JL, Gower AL, Querna K, Rovito MJ. Profiles of risk and protection for violence and bullying perpetration among adolescent males. Journal of School Health, 2020; 90(3):212-223.
- Taliaferro LA, Jang ST, Westers NJ, Muehlenkamp JJ, Whitlock JL, McMorris BJ. Associations between connections to parents and friends and non-suicidal self-injury among adolescents: the mediating role of developmental assets. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 2020; 25(2): 359-371.
- Taliaferro LA, Muehlenkamp JJ, Jeevanba SB. Factors associated with emotional distress and suicide ideation among international college students. Journal of American College Health, 2020; 68(6):565-569.
- Taliaferro LA, Mishtal J, Chulani VL, Acevedo M, Middleton TC, Eisenberg ME. Communicating effectively with sexual minority youth: perspectives of young people and healthcare providers. Acta Scientific Paediatrics, 2019; 2(10):32-39.
- Taliaferro LA, Almeida J, Aguinaldo LD, McManama O’Brien KH. Function and progression of non-suicidal self-injury and relationship with suicide attempts: a qualitative investigation with an adolescent clinical sample. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 2019; 24(4):821-830.
- Taliaferro LA, Harder BM, Lampe NM, Carter SK, Rider GN, Eisenberg ME. Social connectedness factors that facilitate use of healthcare services: comparison of transgender/ gender non-conforming and cisgender adolescents. The Journal of Pediatrics, 2019; 211:172-178.
- Taliaferro LA, McMorris BJ, Rider GN, Eisenberg ME. Risk and protective factors for self-harm in a population-based sample of transgender youth. Archives of Suicide Research, 2019; 23(2): 203-221.
- Gower AL, Rider GN, Brown C, McMorris BJ, Coleman E, Taliaferro LA, Eisenberg ME. Protective factors for depression, suicidality, and substance use among transgender and gender diverse adolescents. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2018; 55(6):787-794.
- Taliaferro, LA, McMorris BJ, Eisenberg ME. Connections that moderate risk of non-suicidal self-injury among transgender and gender conforming youth. Psychiatry Research, 2018; 268:65-67.
- Taliaferro LA, Gloppen KM, Muehlenkamp JJ, Eisenberg ME. Depression and suicidality among bisexual youth: a nationally representative sample. Journal of LGBT Youth, 2018; 15(1):16-31.
- Taliaferro LA, Muehlenkamp JJ. Nonsuicidal self-injury and suicidality among sexual minority youth: risk factors and protective connectedness factors. Academic Pediatrics, 2017; 17(7):715-722.