Dr. Mehdi Razavi is an Assistant Professor of Medicine, Materials Science and Engineering, and BiionixTM (Bionic Materials, Implants & Interfaces) Cluster at the University of Central Florida College of Medicine (UCF COM) since September 2019. He is also Director of the Regenerative Medicine and Nanoengineering Laboratory (RegeN) at UCF Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences. Prior to his current appointment, he was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Regenerative Medicine with the Interventional Regenerative Medicine and Imaging Laboratory at Stanford University School of Medicine from September 2016 to September 2019. Previously, he was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Biomaterials with the Brunel Centre for Advanced Solidification Technology (BCAST) at the Institute of Materials and Manufacturing and Brunel Institute for Bioengineering (BIB) at Brunel University, London from May 2015 to August 2016. He was also a Research Scholar in Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering with the School of Materials Science and Engineering, Helmerich Advanced Technology Research Center (HRC) at Oklahoma State University from July 2013 to April 2014, and an Adjunct Faculty with the Dental Materials Research Center at Isfahan University of Medical Sciences from September 2014.
As his research honors, Isfahan University of Technology awarded him “The Best PhD Thesis”, and in 2019 Stanford University awarded him “Poster Winner” of the 100+ posters presented at Bio-X. His interdisciplinary research has been recognized by Global Medical Discovery and Advances in Engineering. His achievements have been featured in Stanford Diabetes Research Center (SDRC) Newsletter, Focused Ultrasound Foundation, Atlas of Science, Docphin and Nanotechnology Initiative Council. Over the course of his education and research, he had the privilege of creating the Nanomedicine course and also taught different courses, including Emerging Materials, Biomedical Materials, Tissue Engineering, Advanced Materials, Mechanical Properties, Research Methodology in Medicine, Radiology and Medical Imaging.
His research interests mainly encompass Biomaterials, Nanomedicine, Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, Stem Cells, Orthopedic Implants and Bone scaffolds, Drug/Gene Delivery Systems, Ultrasound Therapy, Cancer Nanotechnology, and Pancreatic Islet Transplantation. His work has resulted in the publication of over 64 peer-reviewed journal articles, 16 book chapters, 6 books, 5 patents pending or granted, and 26 conference proceedings/talks, of which 73 have been as a first author and 60 as a corresponding author. His publications have been cited over 1,642 times, with an h-index of 26, and i-10 index of 37. He has published in journals including Advanced Functional Materials, Scientific Reports, Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology, Biomaterials Science, Materials Science and Engineering C, Applied Surface Science, and Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. He also serves as the Chief Editor, is a member of editorial boards and a scientific reviewer for over 143 different journals, conferences, books, grants, and dissertations.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
- Mehdi Razavi, Rosita Primavera, Bhavesh D Kevadiya, Jing Wang, Peter Buchwald, Avnesh S Thakor, “A collagen based cryogel bioscaffold that generates oxygen for islet transplantation”, Advanced Functional Materials, 2020, 1902463, DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201902463.
- Mehdi Razavi, Yan Huang, “Effect of hydroxyapatite (HA) nanoparticles shape on biodegradation of Mg/HA nanocomposites processed by high shear solidification/equal channel angular extrusion route”, Materials Letters 267 (2020) 127541, DOI: 10.1016/j.matlet.2020.127541.
- Mehdi Razavi, Mohammadhossein Fathi, Omid Savabi, Daryoosh Vashaee, Lobat Tayebi, “Biodegradable magnesium bone implants coated with a novel bioceramic nanocomposite”, Materials 13 (2020) 1315; DOI:10.3390/ma13061315.
- Mehdi Razavi, Fengyang Zheng, Arsenii Telichko, Jing Wang, Gang Ren, Jeremy Dahl, Avnesh S Thakor, “Improving the function and engraftment of transplanted pancreatic islets using pulsed focused ultrasound therapy”, Scientific Reports 9 (2019) 13416, DOI: 10.1038/s41598-019-49933-0.
- Mehdi Razavi, Gang Ren, Jing Wang, Richard Kimura, Avnesh S Thakor, “Imaging tumor oxidative stress with surface enhanced Raman scattering gold nanoparticles”, Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology 15 (2019) 2130-2141, DOI:10.1166/jbn.2019.2819.
- Mehdi Razavi, Yan Huang, “A magnesium-based nanobiocomposite processed by a novel technique combining high shear solidification and hot extrusion”, Recent Patents on Nanotechnology 13 (2019) 38–48, DOI: 10.2174/1872210513666181231122808.
- Mehdi Razavi, Sophia Hu, Avnesh S Thakor, “A collagen based cryogel bioscaffold coated with nanostructured polydopamine as a platform for mesenchymal stem cell therapy”, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A 106 (2018) 2213-2228, DOI: 10.1002/jbm.a.36428.
- Mehdi Razavi, Avnesh S Thakor, “An oxygen plasma treated poly(dimethylsiloxane) bioscaffold coated with polydopamine for stem cell therapy”, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine 29 (2018) 54–67, DOI:10.1007/s10856-018-6077-x.
- Mehdi Razavi, Mostafa Yazdimamaghani, Daryoosh Vashaee, Lobat Tayebi, “Surface modification of biodegradable porous Mg bone scaffold using polycaprolactone/bioactive glass composite”, Materials Science and Engineering C 49 (2015) 436–444, DOI:10.1016/j.msec.2015.01.041.
- Mehdi Razavi, Mostafa Yazdimamaghani, Masoud Mozafari, Daryoosh Vashaee, Hari Kotturi, Lobat Tayebi, “Biomineralization and biocompatibility studies of bone conductive scaffolds containing poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene):poly(4-styrene sulfonate) (PEDOT:PSS)”, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine 26 (2015) 274–284, DOI: 10.1007/s10856-015-5599-8.
- Mehdi Razavi, “Metallic scaffolds”, In Frontiers in Biomaterials: Biomaterials for Tissue Engineering, Editor: Mehdi Razavi, ISBN: 978-1-68108-537-1, Volume 4, Chapter 5, Bentham e Books, 2017.
- Mehdi Razavi, “Bio-based nanostructured materials”, In Nanobiomaterials: Nanostructured Materials for Biomedical Applications, Editor: Roger Narayan, ISBN: 9780081007167, Woodhead Publishing, Elsevier, Chapter 2, 2017, Pages 17-39, DOI:1016/B978-0-08-100716-7.00002-7.
- Mehdi Razavi, Kai Zhu, Yu Shrike Zhang, “Naturally-based and biologically derived nanobiomaterials”, In Nanobiomaterials Science, Development and Evaluation, Editors: Mehdi Razavi, Avnesh S Thakor, ISBN:978-0-08-100963-5, Woodhead Publishing Series in Biomaterials, Elsevier, Chapter 4, 2017, Pages 61-86, DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-08-100963-5.00004-5.
- Mehdi Razavi, Erfan Salahinejad, Mina Fahmy, Aatif Nowman, Hossein Jazayeri, Pinkesh Shah, Daryoosh Vashaee, Pouya Tayebi, Lobat Tayebi, “Nanobiomaterials in periodontal tissue engineering”, In Nanobiomaterials in Hard Tissue Engineering, Applications of Nanobiomaterials Volume 4, Editor: Alexandru Mihai Grumezescu, ISBN: 978-0-323-42862-0, Chapter 11, 2016, Pages 323–351, Elsevier, DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-323-42862-0.00011-0.
- Mehdi Razavi, Erfan Salahinejad, Mina Fahmy, Mostafa Yazdimamaghani, Daryoosh Vashaee, Lobat Tayebi, “Green Chemical and Biological Synthesis of Nanoparticles and their Biomedical Applications”, In Green Processes for Nanotechnology: From Inorganic to Bioinspired Nanomaterials, Editors: Vladimir A. Basiuk, Elena V. Basiuk, ISBN: 978-3-319-15461-9, Springer International Publishing Switzerland, Chapter 7, 2015, Pages 207–235, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-15461-9_7.
- Mehdi Razavi, “Nanoengineering in Musculoskeletal Regeneration”, ISBN: 9780128202623, Academic Press, Elsevier, 2020.
- Mehdi Razavi, “Neural Regenerative Nanomedicine”, Academic Press, Elsevier, 2020.
- Mehdi Razavi, Avnesh S Thakor, “Nanobiomaterials Science, Development and Evaluation”, ISBN: 978-0-08-100963-5, Woodhead Publishing Series in Biomaterials, Elsevier, 2017. https://www.elsevier.com/books/nanobiomaterials-science-development-and-evaluation/razavi/978-0-08-100963-5 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/book/9780081009635
- Mehdi Razavi, “Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine”, ISBN: 978-1-68108-579-1, Bentham e Books, 2017. https://ebooks.benthamscience.com/book/9781681085784/
- Mehdi Razavi, “Biomaterials for Tissue Engineering”, ISBN: 978-1-68108-537-1, Bentham e Books, 2017. https://ebooks.benthamscience.com/book/9781681085364/
To view Dr. Razavi’s Laboratory website, click here.