Dr. Mehta is a board certified adult, child, and adolescent psychiatrist. She completed her Undergraduate and Medical School training at the University of Florida (UF) in Gainesville, Florida. She remained at UF for her General Psychiatry training program. Afterward, she went to Boston Children’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School to complete a fellowship training in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
Dr. Mehta has been with the UCF College of Medicine since 2016. She served as Assistant Clerkship Director for a year, followed by serving as the Clerkship Director of Psychiatry for another 18 months. She took over the leadership of UCF/HCA’s Greater Orlando Psychiatry Residency program in August 2019. She currently maintains her clinical practice at Nemours Children’s Hospital. She has authored peer-reviewed publications, a book chapter, and presented numerous posters and workshops on topics ranging from ADHD, childhood anxiety, narrative medicine, and promoting resilience and wellness.
Dr. Mehta has a long-standing passion for teaching. She led the Psychiatry Resident In training Examination review sessions for her fellow peers in residency. During fellowship training, she was selected to participate in the Harvard-Macy Institute’s Program for training Future Academic Clinician Educators. Currently, she oversees the didactic curriculum for all 4 years of psychiatry residents. In addition, she maintains an active role with UCF medical students by teaching in preclinical years and the psychiatry clerkship, offering an Academic Psychiatry elective for M4 students. She also serves as a research mentor and specialty career adviser for medical students.
Dr. Mehta is a member of the American Psychiatric Association, Florida Psychiatric Society, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training.
Recent Publications and Presentations
Peer reviewed articles
- Hernandez C, Daly K, Mehta A, Verduin M. A Pilot Study Examining Biofeedback and Structured Napping to Promote Medical Student Wellbeing. AMEE MedEdPublish. May 27, 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15694/mep.2019.000110.1
- Daly K, Mehta A. Unique Barriers to Well-Being for Pathology Residents and How to Address Them. Cancer Cytopathology, Bridging The Gap. 2018:299-300 DOI: 10.1002/cncy.21997
- Shapiro M, Mehta A, Avila J, Nguyen M. Recurrence of conversion disorder symptoms in a successfully treated 16-year-old female. International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine. November 2015, 50(4), In press.
- Bussing R, Mehta A. Stigmatization and self-perception of youth with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Patient Intelligence. 2013(5):15-27.
- Anuja Mehta, Jasmine Reyes, Brian Fisak. (2019). ‘Psychopharmacological Treatment of Anxiety in Preschool-Aged Children’ edited by Brian Fisak and Paula Barrett. Anxiety in Preschool Children: Assessment, Treatment, and Prevention. Taylor and Francis publishing. Pages 238-247
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction for Pediatric Chronic Pain/ Invited Lecture Boston Children’s Hospital Psychiatric Consultation Service, Boston, MA, 2015
- ADHD and Mindfulness/ Invited Lecture, 2015
- Carmack A, Mehta AS. Effectiveness of perioperative pain management in the buprenorphine patient population: An analysis of recent literature. Florida Medical Association Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL, August 9-11, 2019.
- Deci PA, Klapheke M, Hamstra J, Mehta AS, Manigold R, Thompson J. Building and Sharing: A GME Collaboration with Two Psychiatry Residency Programs & A VA Medical Center. VA Designated Institutional Official Conference. Orlando, FL. August 6, 2019.
- Myers E, Weber S, Shah D, Kanani H, Kim G, Gianakakos G, Mehta A. Challenges and opportunities associated with being an inaugural cohort of a new residency program: Residents’ perspective. American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, Feb 28-March 2, 2019.
- Jiang S, Mehta AS. Using Google to approximate the epidemiology of depression in US. 2018.
- Tran KT, Khallouq BB, Mehta AS, Topping D. Narrative-Based Medicine: A Novel Approach to Help Improve Healthcare in the LGBTQ Population. American Medical Association Medical Student Section (MSS) Interim Meeting, Honolulu, Hawaii, November 2017.
- Mehta AS, Babalola R, Kitts R. Needs Assessment Regarding Training on Disaster Response and Preparedness in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Training Programs and Potential Resources that can be used. American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training Annual Meeting, Austin, TX, March 2-4, 2016
- Mehta AS, Rahmani M, Averbuch RN, Hobbs JA. Effects of early clinical exposure to Community Psychiatry for first- and second-year medical students. American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting, New York City, NY, May 3-7, 2014.
- Mehta AS, Witter D, Hobbs JA. T3 augmentation in “treatment-resistant” postpartum depression. Florida Psychiatric Society Spring Meeting, Orlando, FL, April 12-14, 2013.
- Gower M, Redinger D, Mehta AS, Wells J. Preventing Inpatient Suicide and Self-Harm: Development of an Evidence-based Protocol for Hospital Med-Surg Units. University of Florida, Department of Psychiatry 2nd Annual Quality Improvement Day, Gainesville, FL, 2012.
- Shah A, Relihan K, Kota A. Use of antiretroviral therapy (ART) medication scores in HIV population. Experimental Biology. Washington, DC, 2007.