Dr. Yanisa Del Toro has a medical degree from Ponce School of Medicine in Puerto Rico. She began her career as an Internal Medicine Physician at Chen Medical Associates, Inc in Miami. Following, she became an Assistant Professor in Clinical Medicine at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, where she worked for over ten years. Throughout her role, she also served as the Residency Program Clinic Educational Director, Associated Program Director for the IM Residency Program, Population Health Medical Director, and General Primary Care Clerkship Associate Director.
Dr. Del Toro joined the UCF College of Medicine in 2020. As a clinical educator she teaches third and fourth year medical students and will be involved in other medical education courses for first and second year students throughout the year. She has over 14 years of teaching and mentorship experience, and has a number of publications and presentations under her belt. She has been honored with a number of awards, including the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society Award, and two prestigious scholarships. Just this past month, she received the Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Her community service efforts were recognized by the Superior Service Award, given for contributions to the health and well-being of the residents of Miami-Dade County.
For two years, Dr. Del Toro volunteered her time to serve women’s health in the community, working with medical students at the Domestic Violence Center in Miami, Florida by providing primary care and screening for diabetes and hypertension. She is a member of the American Medical Association, Society of General Internal Medicine, and American College of Physicians.
- Shafazand S, Wallace D, Vargas S, Del Toro Y, Dib S, Abreu A, Ramos A, Nolan B, Baldwin C, Fleming L; “Sleep Disordered Breathing, Insomnia Symptoms, and Sleep Quality in a Clinical Cohort of US Hispanics in South Florida”; J Clin Sleep Med; 8(5):507-14; Oct 15, 2012.
- Marcus EN, Sanders LM, Pereyra M, Del Toro Y, Romilly AP, Yepes M, Hooper MW, Jones BA; “Mammography results notification letters: Are they easy to read and understand?”; Women’s Health Journal; 20(4):545-551; April 2011.
- Cohen DL, Del Toro Y; “A case of Valerian Associated Hepatotoxicity”; J Clinical Gastroenterol; 42(8):961-962; September 2008.
Education & Specialties
- M.D., Ponce School of Medicine, Puerto Rico
- B.S., Biology and Environmental Sciences, University of Puerto Rico, PR
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Education
- Quality Improvement