Dr. Stephen Cico was recruited to lead the UCF-HCA Healthcare GME Consortium as the ACGME Designated Institutional Official (DIO), Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education, and Professor of Emergency and Pediatrics. Dr. Cico is a recognized leader in medical education and has published widely and presented both nationally and internationally on medical education topics, including effective didactic and clinical teaching strategies, publishing in the medical education literature, what it means to maintain knowledge and procedural competency throughout a physician’s career, and mentoring. Dr. Cico is the pediatric section editor of a textbook, Atlas of Clinical Emergency Medicine, as well as a contributing author to several other emergency medicine textbooks. He is a Founding Decision Editor for Academic Emergency Medicine Education & Training, the Society of Academic Emergency Medicine’s education journal and reviews for numerous other emergency medicine and medical education journals.
Prior to being recruited to UCF, Dr. Cico was a Professor of Clinical Emergency Medicine & Pediatrics at Indiana University School of Medicine. There he was an Assistant Dean for GME, overseeing their statewide GME expansion residency programs and faculty development, as well as the Founding Fellowship Director of the Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship Program, the first PEM training program in Indiana. He served for three years as the Associate Fellowship Director at the University of Washington Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship at Seattle Children’s Hospital. He also served as a member of the Child Protection Team at Seattle Children’s Hospital. He has also been the only pediatric emergency physician in the state of South Dakota and was an Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Family Medicine – Emergency Medicine at the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine.
Dr. Cico completed his undergraduate degree in Honors Biology at Wright State University and then obtained his Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. He did a dual residency in Internal Medicine and Pediatrics at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, and then completed his fellowship in Pediatric Emergency Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and the Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. While an attending physician in the Departments of Emergency Medicine and Pediatrics at Vanderbilt University, he started work on his Master’s in Medical Education (M.Ed.) through the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and College of Education, Criminal Justice and Human Services (CECH), completing his degree in 2012. He is board certified in pediatric emergency medicine and general pediatrics through the American Board of Pediatrics.
When he isn’t working, Dr. Cico enjoys Orangetheory Fitness, running (5K through half-marathon distances), playing tennis, hiking, traveling (especially to Hawaii, the desert Southwest and Europe), and amateur wine-tasting.
- Punctuated Equilibrium: COVID and the Duty to Teach for Adaptive Expertise.Merritt C, Santen SA, Cico SJ, Wolff M, Pusic M.West J Emerg Med. 2022 Jan 3;23(1):56-58. doi: 10.5811/westjem.2021.11.55268.PMID: 35060863
- Rapid Adaptation to Remote Didactics and Learning in GME.Hickam G, Santen SA, Cico SJ, Manthey D, Wolff M, Moll J, Lambert A, Jordan J, Haas MRC.AEM Educ Train. 2020 Oct 9;5(3):10.1002/aet2.10528. doi: 10.1002/aet2.10528. eCollection 2021 Jul.PMID: 34095693
- Graduate Medical Education Expansion to Rural Community Hospitals: Residency Training Beyond the Academic Health Center.Cico SJ.Perm J. 2020 Sep;24:12-13. doi: 10.7812/TPP/20.030.14.PMID: 33650963
- Optimizing Lectures From a Cognitive Load Perspective.Jordan J, Wagner J, Manthey DE, Wolff M, Santen S, Cico SJ.AEM Educ Train. 2019 Oct 6;4(3):306-312. doi: 10.1002/aet2.10389. eCollection 2020 Jul.PMID: 32704604
- Pediatric pain management in the emergency department.Uspal N, Black KD, Cico SJ.Pediatr Emerg Med Pract. 2019 Aug;16(8):1-24. Epub 2019 Aug 2.PMID: 31339255
- Using Twitter to increase content dissemination and control educational content with Presenter Initiated and Generated Live Educational Tweets (PIGLETs).Tomlinson S, Haas M, Skaugset LM, Cico SJ, Wolff M, Santen S, Lin M, Huang R.Med Teach. 2017 Jul;39(7):768-772. doi: 10.1080/0142159X.2017.1317727. Epub 2017 Apr 27.PMID: 28449610
- In reply.Skaugset LM, Carney M, Wolff M, Santen S, Perry M, Farrell S, Cico SJ.Ann Emerg Med. 2017 May;69(5):670. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2017.01.026.PMID: 28442099
- An Analysis of the Top-cited Articles in Emergency Medicine Education Literature.Munzer BW, Love J, Shipman BL, Byrne B, Cico SJ, Furlong R, Khandelwal S, Santen SA.West J Emerg Med. 2017 Jan;18(1):60-68. doi: 10.5811/westjem.2016.10.31492. Epub 2016 Nov 23.PMID: 28116010
- Can You Multitask? Evidence and Limitations of Task Switching and Multitasking in Emergency Medicine.Skaugset LM, Farrell S, Carney M, Wolff M, Santen SA, Perry M, Cico SJ.Ann Emerg Med. 2016 Aug;68(2):189-95. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2015.10.003. Epub 2015 Nov 14.PMID: 26585046
- Point-of-care Ultrasound: A New Tool for the Identification of Gastric Foreign Bodies in Children?Horowitz R, Cico SJ, Bailitz J.J Emerg Med. 2016 Jan;50(1):99-103. doi: 10.1016/j.jemermed.2015.07.022. Epub 2015 Sep 26.PMID: 26409678
For a full list of publications, visit https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=cico+sj&sort=date.
Education & Specialties
- B.S. Honors, Biological Sciences, Summa Cum Laude, Wright State University, Dayton, OH
- M.D., University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH
- M.Ed. University of Cincinnati College of Education, Criminal Justice & Human Services, Cincinnati, OH
- Residency, Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, Rush-Presbyterian- St. Luke’s Medical Center/Rush Children’s Hospital, Chicago, IL
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Medical Education
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Medical Education