Dr. Amita Kathuria received her Doctorate in Medicine from the University of Florida. She began her career in the Department of Internal Medicine as a Clinical Assistant Professor at the same university. After completing her fellowship in Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, she became an Assistant Professor at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas before returning to the University of Florida College of Medicine. Her experience at Shands Hospital, where she attended on inpatient wards and precepted fellows, residents, and students eventually led her to the UCF College of Medicine.
Dr. Kathuria joined the College in 2020. She will be I will be an active clinician at UCF Health. She will also participate in endocrine fellowship training and education, as well as medical student mentoring. She is currently exploring research opportunities, including those related to diabetes care and management.
Dr. Kathuria’s efforts have been recognized by several honors and awards over the years. She was awarded the Excellence in Teaching Award from UF twice, both in 2009 and 2019. She is also a member of several professional societies, including the American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin, the Endocrine Society, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, and the Florida Medical Association. Her clinical and teaching expertise will serve her well in the UCF and surrounding Orlando community.
Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications:
- Association between admission hyperglycemia and length of stay after renal transplantation. Tewari S, Kathuria A, Meier-Kriesche HU, Lansang MC. Endocrine Practice 2010 Sep-Oct;16(5):805-9.
- An aggressive temporal bone SDHC paraganglioma associated with increased HIF-2 signaling. Isaacson B, Bullova P, Frone M, Click A, Hamplova B, Rabaglia J, Woodruff S, Nwariaku F, Kathuria A, Pacak K, Ghayee HK. Endocrine Practice 2016 Feb;22(2):190-5.
- Expression of key androgen-activating enzymes in ovarian steroid cell tumor, not otherwise specified. Valenzuela Scheker E, Kathuria A, Esnakula A, Sasano H, Yamazaki Y, Tevosian S, Auchus RJ, Ghayee HK, Dhir G. J Investig Med High Impact Case Rep. 2020 Jan-Dec;8:2324709620933416.
Education & Specialties
- Fellow,Â Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- M.D., Medicine,Â University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL
- B.A.,Â Biochemistry, Minor in Economics, Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA
- Internal Medicine
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
- Diabetes Care and Management