- College of Medicine Faculty News Student Affairs Students
The College of Medicine honored its graduating seniors and a faculty member who best embodies the ideals of Hippocrates during the Class Day 2015 celebration May 13.
“Tonight we’re gathered one last time before commencement to celebrate the medical school journey we have made together as faculty and students,” Dr. Deborah German, vice president for medical affairs and dean said as she introduced the event, held at the UCF FAIRWINDS Alumni Center.
Students were honored for overall academic excellence and top performance in specific clerkship specialties.
Michael Arnold received the Dean’s Award, the top senior award given to the student with the highest academic performance, who embodies professionalism, compassion, and integrity.
Dr. Michael Bellew received Hippocratic Oath Award, selected by the students for the faculty member who best embodies the ideals of Hippocrates in compassionate patient care, the highest ethical standards, and dedication to excellence. As Dr. German announced Dr. Bellew’s name, Class of 2015 students whooped, cheered and gave their teacher a standing ovation. As part of the award, Dr. Bellew will lead graduates in taking the Hippocratic Oath at the May 15 commencement.
The celebration ended when Knightro, the UCF mascot, entered the room with a giant stethoscope around his neck, pushing a giant cake with an icing photo of UCF’s medical education building.
Here are the 2015 Class Day honorees:
- Dean’s Award: Michael Arnold
- Hippocratic Oath Award: Dr. Michael Bellew
- Academic Excellence Award (students with the highest academic excellence over all four years) — Allyson Deziel, Amy Iarrobino
- Faculty Choice Award — Allyson Deziel
- Student Choice Award — Michael Arnold
- Osler Award (to student who has demonstrated the most perseverance and overcoming obstacles to succeed) — Chau Vo
- Outstanding Senior in Internal and Family Medicine – Amy Iarrobino
- Outstanding Senior in Neurology – Michael Arnold
- Outstanding Senior in OB/GYN – Phillip Romanski
- Outstanding Senior in Pediatrics — Heather McKently
- Outstanding Senior in Psychiatry – Anastasia Kostrubala
- Outstanding Senior in Surgery — Allyson Deziel