Below are some questions we often receive about ILL. Click on the questions to show and hide answers. If your question is not answered here, please feel free to contact us.
Who can use ILL Services?
- Interlibrary Loan services through the Health Sciences Library can be used by all faculty, active volunteer faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students at the UCF College of Medicine. Here is some extra information if you’re not sure you fall into one of these four categories:
- Students must be enrolled in at least one class for the current semester.
- Volunteer faculty must currently be actively involved in the medical school curriculum in order to be eligible for ILL privileges.
- Community patrons do not have ILL privileges with the Health Sciences Library. You can use the Loansome Doc service provided through the University of Florida Health Science Center.
- If you are still not sure if you qualify for ILL services, please contact us.
Who qualifies for Document Delivery services?
- Document Delivery services are available to the following members of the UCF College of Medicine community:
- If you are still not sure if you qualify for Document Delivery services, please contact us.
What can be requested through ILL?
- Here is a list of items that can be requested through ILL:
- Book chapters
- Conference Proceedings
- Reports and papers
- Newspaper Microfilm
- These items can be requested through ILL, though many libraries will not lend them:
- Dissertations & Theses
- DVDs & VHS tapes
- Music CDs
- Items that cannot usually be borrowed through ILL include:
- Books published before 1800
- Genealogical material such as vital records, military records, etc.
- Materials owned by foreign libraries
- Rare books
- Popular music and films
- Electronic books
Can I request textbooks?
- We strongly advise against requesting your textbooks through Interlibrary Loan. Many libraries will not lend them, since most libraries keep textbooks on reserve for their own patrons. Also, books borrowed through ILL are for short-term use only; loan periods are usually three to five weeks, with only one two-week renewal allowed. It is not possible to keep a book borrowed through ILL for an entire semester.
How long will it take for my items to arrive?
- For Interlibrary Loan, articles in journals and books owned by other libraries usually take 1 to 4 business days to arrive. For articles that are found in books and journals that are held by only a few libraries, it could take a little bit longer. Books owned by other libraries take 7 to 10 business days to arrive. If a book is widely held by other libraries, it usually arrives faster than books owned by only a few libraries. Multimedia items such as CDs and DVDs usually take longer to arrive, as fewer libraries are willing to lend these types of items.
For Document Delivery, articles in journals and books owned by the Health Sciences Library usually take up to 72 hours to process and deliver to the patron.
How do I pick up my Interlibrary Loan Books?
- Once you’ve been notified that your book has arrived at the Health Sciences Library, stop by the library front desk to pick it up; a library staff member will retrieve the book for you and have you sign it out.
How do I return my items?
- When you’ve finished with your book, please return it to the Health Sciences Library front desk. Please be sure the book is returned to a member of our library staff and not just placed on the desk. Patrons who are away from the library and College of Medicine campus can mail their items back to us.
Using Your ILLiad Account
How do I reset my password?
- Your ILLiad password is your NID password. If you forget your NID password, you can look it up via the UCF Self Reset webpage.
How do I renew my items?
- Books that you borrow from other libraries can usually be renewed one time. You can tell if your item is renewable by looking at the Interlibrary Loan label we place on it. To renew your item, follow these steps:
- Log-in to your ILLiad account.
- Under View on the left-hand side of the screen, click on “Checked Out Items“.
- Click on the transaction number of the item you want to renew.
- Click on “Renew Request” at the top of the screen.
- The estimated new due date will appear at the top of the page. The lending library will review the renewal request and confirm the new due date. You should receive an email from the Health Sciences Library once the new due date has been confirmed.
Remember, it is possible that the lending library will deny the renewal request. If this happens, you will receive an email notifying you of this.
How do I view the articles or book chapters I requested through Interlibrary Loan?
- Once you have been notified that an article you requested is available, follow these steps to access it:
- Log-in to your ILLiad account.
- Under View on the left-hand side of the screen, click on “Electronically Received Articles“.
- Find the article you want to view in the list, and click “View“.
- Your article will open in a separate tab or window. To save the article, select File then Save from your browser’s menu.
You are strongly urged to save or print your articles, as they only stay posted to your ILLiad account for 30 days.
What does this status mean?
- You can track your Interlibrary Loan or Document Delivery request in ILLiad by clicking on “All Requests” under View on the left-hand side of the screen in your account. Once you look through the list and find the request you want to track, you can find more information about your request by looking at the “Status” field. Below is a quick guide to what your status means.
|Item Status||Status Definition|
|Awaiting Conditional Processing||Another library wants the Health Sciences Library to agree to a condition before they send your item|
|Awaiting Copyright Clearance||Your request must be checked for copyright compliance before it can be sent to another library|
|Awaiting Customer Contact||The Health Sciences Library has received your item. It will be available for you to pick up soon|
|Awaiting DD Stacks Searching||Your item is available through the Health Sciences Library or Main Campus library, and it will be processed shortly|
|Awaiting Direct Request Sending||Your request is being automatically routed to a library that owns the item you want|
|Awaiting Doc Del Customer Contact||Your item has been processed. It will be available for you to pick up soon|
|Awaiting Document Delivery Processing||Your item may be available through the Health Sciences Library. ILL Staff are reviewing your request|
|Awaiting Post Receipt Processing||The item you requested has been received by the Health Sciences Library|
|Awaiting Request Processing||Your request is being reviewed by staff before it is sent to another library|
|Awaiting Unfilled Processing||A library that is able to lend your item has not been found yet|
|Cancelled by ILL Staff||Your request has been cancelled. You will receive an email explaining why|
|Checked Out to Customer||The item has been checked out to your ILLiad account|
|Customer Notified via E-mail/Phone||Your item is ready for pickup at the Health Sciences Library front desk|
|Delivered to Web||Your article or book chapter is available and ready to be downloaded|
|In DD Stacks Searching||The Health Sciences Library owns the item you are requesting, and it is currently being processed|
|Request Sent||Your request has been sent to a library that owns the item you want|
- If you don’t see your status listed here, you can contact us for more information.
Can I submit a request for faculty?
- If you are a student or staff member working with a faculty member and would like to submit an ILL or Document Delivery request on your faculty member’s behalf, it is recommended that you request items using your faculty member’s ILLiad account. This is because you are ultimately responsible for the items that are checked out on your account, even if it is actually being used by your faculty member rather than you. We also recommend that you have the faculty member you are working with add your name to their account as an authorized user, so that you may pick up their books for them at the library front desk.
Can I have someone else pick up my books?
- Yes, you can. You just need to add their names to the authorized users box in your ILLiad account profile. To do this, follow these steps:
- Log-in to your ILLiad account
- Click on “Change User Information” in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.
- Toward the bottom of the page, you’ll see the “Authorized Users” field. Type the names of the people who will be picking up your books.
- Click “Submit Information” at the bottom of the page.
- Make sure to let these people know that they need to bring a photo I.D. when they pick up your items. Contact us if you have any questions.