Xiang (Shawn) Zhu has his Master of Science degree in Biology and has over 25 years of experience as a biostatistician. He began his career at the National Environment & Wildlife Monitoring Center for the State Forestry Administration in Beijing, China as a biostatistician, senior biologist, and wildlife ecologist. He developed survey and monitoring methods for large-scale environmental protection projects at the national level, and was a member of IUCN Species Survival Commission Specialist Groups. After a decade of work experience there, Mr. Zhu continued his career in a number of roles at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, including teaching assistant and research assistant in the Department of Zoology, and Faculty of Forestry. In the past 12 years, he worked as a senior biostatistician and database administrator for the Cancer Institute and the Center for Interventional Endoscopy at Florida Hospital in Orlando. He supported, consulted and performed statistical analysis for over 100 clinical trial researches, and developed solid skills in mentoring students and delivering consultation services to physicians of various specialties.
Mr. Zhu joined the College of Medicine in 2019. He works as an Assistant in Medicine and Biostatistician for the Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences. He will be involved in faculty research projects, providing biostatistical consultation and data analysis services. He also acts as support for the faculty in study design and preparation of NIH grant proposals throughout the year. He mentors students for their research needs and thesis writing. Mr. Zhu is a member of the American Statistical Association. His solid expertise in Biology and as a Bio-statistician, plus skills on Stata, SAS and R programming, will serve him well in this role.
- Rohr M, Aljabban J, Rudeski-Rohr T, Lessans S, Nakkina SP, Hadley D, Zhu X, Altomare DA. Meta-Analysis Reveals the Prognostic Relevance of Nuclear and Membrane-Associated Bile Acid Receptors in Gastric Cancer. Clin Transl Gastroenterol. 2021 Jan 12;12(1).
- Navaneethan U, Spencer C, Zhu X, Vargo JJ, Grove D, Dweik RA. Volatile organic compounds in bile can distinguish pancreatic cancer from chronic pancreatitis: a prospective observational study. Endoscopy. 2020 Sep 7.
- Caron NS, Southwell AL, Brouwers CC, Cengio LD, Xie Y, Black HF, Anderson LM, Ko S, Zhu X, van Deventer SJ, Evers MM, Konstantinova P, Hayden MR. Potent and sustained huntingtin lowering via AAV5 encoding miRNA preserves striatal volume and cognitive function in a humanized mouse model of Huntington disease. Nucleic Acids Res. 2020 Jan 10;48(1):36-54.
- Jessica A. Kennard, Amanda J. Stephens, Sarfraz Ahmad, Xiang Zhu, Charanjeet Singh, Nathalie D. McKezie, James E. Kendrick, Robert W. Holloway. Sentinel lymph nodes (SLN) in endometrial cancer: The relationship between primary tumor histology, SLNmetastasis size, and non-sentinel node metastasis. Gynecologic Oncology, April 2019.
- Udayakumar Navaneethan, Xiang Zhu, Mansour A Parsi, Shyam Varadarajulu. Pre-operative biliary drainage is associated with shortened survival time in patients with cholangiocarcinoma. Gastroenterology Report, February 2019.
- Reza J, Almodovar AJ, Srivastava M, Veldhuis PP, Patel S, Fanaian N, Zhu X, Litherland SA, Arnoletti JP. K-RAS Mutant Gene Found in Pancreatic Juice Activated Chromatin From Peri-ampullary Adenocarcinomas. Epigenet Insights, February 2019.
- Yuan C, Boyd AM, Nelson J, Patel RD, Varela JC, Goldstein SC, Ahmad S, Zhu X, Mori S. Eltrombopag for Treating Thrombocytopenia after Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant, January 2019.
- Wang RC, Mori S, Zhu X, Varela JC, Dickman D, Patel R, Ward D, Goldstein SC, Chang CC. Increased bone marrow CD56bright natural killer cells at 30 days after allogeneic stem cell transplantation associated with adverse patient outcome. Bone Marrow Transplant, December 2018.
- Arnoletti JP, Fanaian N, Reza J, Sause R, Almodovar AJ, Srivastava M, Patel S, Veldhuis PP, Griffith E, Shao YP, Zhu X, Litherland SA. Pancreatic and bile duct cancer circulating tumor cells (CTC) form immune-resistant multi-cell type clusters in the portal venous circulation. Cancer Biol Ther, August 2018.
- Udayakumar Navaneethan, Xiang Zhu, Dennisdhilak Lourdusamy, Vennisvasanth Lourdusamy, Bo Shen and Ravi Kiran. Colorectal cancer resection rates in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: a population-based study. Gastroenterology Report, 6(4), 2018, 263–269.
See more publications
Education & Specialties
Education, Training, & Research:
- M.Sc. in Biology, Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Thesis: Habitat Selection and Reproductive Success of Lewis’s Woodpecker in the South Okanagan Valley, BC. Canada
- B.Sc. in Wildlife Science, Northeast Forestry University, Harbin, China
- Study design
- Biostatistical analysis
- Evidence-based clinical practice
- Cancer Diagnosis & Therapy
- Healthcare instrument development
- Disease-related biomarker & gene expression analysis
- Population Health
- Cost-Effectiveness analysis of diagnosis modalities & treatment procedures
- Application of machine learning techniques in complicated clinical practice issues
No recent media. Please check back soon.