Xiang (Shawn) Zhu has his Master of Science degree in Biology and has over 25 years of experience as a biostatistician. He began his career at the National Environment & Wildlife Monitoring Center for the State Forestry Administration in Beijing, China as a biostatistician, senior biologist, and wildlife ecologist. He developed survey and monitoring methods for large-scale environmental protection projects at the national level, and was a member of IUCN Species Survival Commission Specialist Groups. After a decade of work experience there, Mr. Zhu continued his career in a number of roles at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, including teaching assistant and research assistant in the Department of Zoology, and Faculty of Forestry. In the past 12 years, he worked as a senior biostatistician and database administrator for the Cancer Institute and the Center for Interventional Endoscopy at Florida Hospital in Orlando. He supported, consulted and performed statistical analysis for over 100 clinical trial researches, and developed solid skills in mentoring students and delivering consultation services to physicians of various specialties.
Mr. Zhu joined the College of Medicine in 2019. He works as an Assistant in Medicine and Biostatistician for the Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences. He will be involved in faculty research projects, providing biostatistical consultation and data analysis services. He also acts as support for the faculty in study design and preparation of NIH grant proposals throughout the year. He mentors students for their research needs and thesis writing. Mr. Zhu is a member of the American Statistical Association. His solid expertise in Biology and as a Bio-statistician, plus skills on Stata, SAS and R programming, will serve him well in this role.
- Hines RB, Zhu X, Lee E, Rapp CD, Volk AM, Johnson AM. Multiple mediation analysis of racial disparity in breast cancer survival. Cancer Epidemiol. 2022 Jun 24;79:102206.
- Klapheke M, Abrams MP, Cubero M, Zhu X. Aligning Medical Student Workplace-Based Assessments with Entrustable Professional Activities and the RIME Model in a Psychiatry Clerkship. Acad Psychiatry. 2022 Jun;46(3):283-288.
- Rohr M, Beardsley J, Nakkina SP, Zhu X, Aljabban J, Hadley D, Altomare D. A merged microarray meta-dataset for transcriptionally profiling colorectal neoplasm formation and progression. Sci Data. 2021 Aug 11;8(1):214.
- Piotrowski I, Zhu X, Saccon TD, Ashiqueali S, Schneider A, de Carvalho Nunes AD, Noureddine S, Sobecka A, Barczak W, Szewczyk M, Golusiński W, Masternak MM, Golusiński P. miRNAs as Biomarkers for Diagnosing and Predicting Survival of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Patients. Cancers (Basel). 2021 Aug 6;13(16).
- Navaneethan U, Spencer C, Zhu X, Vargo JJ, Grove D, Dweik RA. Volatile organic compounds in bile can distinguish pancreatic cancer from chronic pancreatitis: a prospective observational study. 2021 Jul;53(7):732-736.
- Ghozlan H, Showalter A, Lee E, Zhu X, Khaled AR. Chaperonin-Containing TCP1 Complex (CCT) Promotes Breast Cancer Growth Through Correlations With Key Cell Cycle Regulators. Front Oncol. 2021;11:663877.
- Rohr M, Aljabban J, Rudeski-Rohr T, Lessans S, Nakkina SP, Hadley D, Zhu X, Altomare DA. Meta-Analysis Reveals the Prognostic Relevance of Nuclear and Membrane-Associated Bile Acid Receptors in Gastric Cancer. Clin Transl Gastroenterol. 2021 Jan 12;12(1):e00295.
- Caron NS, Southwell AL, Brouwers CC, Cengio LD, Xie Y, Black HF, Anderson LM, Ko S, Zhu X, van Deventer SJ, Evers MM, Konstantinova P, Hayden MR. Potent and sustained huntingtin lowering via AAV5 encoding miRNA preserves striatal volume and cognitive function in a humanized mouse model of Huntington disease. Nucleic Acids Res. 2020 Jan 10;48(1):36-54.
- Yuan C, Boyd AM, Nelson J, Patel RD, Varela JC, Goldstein SC, Ahmad S, Zhu X, Mori S. Eltrombopag for Treating Thrombocytopenia after Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2019 Jul;25(7):1320-1324.
- Kennard JA, Stephens AJ, Ahmad S, Zhu X, Singh C, McKenzie ND, Kendrick JE, Holloway RW. Sentinel lymph nodes (SLN) in endometrial cancer: The relationship between primary tumor histology, SLN metastasis size, and non-sentinel node metastasis. Gynecol Oncol. 2019 Jul;154(1):53-59.
See more publications
Education & Specialties
Education, Training, & Research:
- M.Sc. in Biology, Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Thesis: Habitat Selection and Reproductive Success of Lewis’s Woodpecker in the South Okanagan Valley, BC. Canada
- B.Sc. in Wildlife Science, Northeast Forestry University, Harbin, China
- Study design
- Biostatistical analysis
- Evidence-based clinical practice
- Cancer Diagnosis & Therapy
- Healthcare instrument development
- Disease-related biomarker & gene expression analysis
- Population Health
- Cost-Effectiveness analysis of diagnosis modalities & treatment procedures
- Application of machine learning techniques in complicated clinical practice issues
No recent media. Please check back soon.