Dr. Gilbertson has his PhD in Neurobiology from the University of California. He began his career as a Laboratory Assistant in the Department of Clinical Pathology at Scripps Research Institute & University of Calif-San Diego. He continued to work his way upward through his career, later becoming Head Teaching Assistant of the Vertebrate Embryology Laboratory at the University of California-Davis, then as a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Department of Anatomy & Neurobiology at Colorado State University. Upon joining Louisiana State University, Dr. Gilbertson excelled from Adjunct Assistant Professor to Associate Professor and Tenured Chief of the Chemical Senses Department. He joined a biotech-based startup company in 2012, in which he is still active. Dr. Gilbertson worked in various departments at Utah State University, serving as Adjunct Professor, Associate Department Head, co-director, Director, and Professor.
Dr. Gilbertson joined the college in 2018 as a Professor of Medicine. Dr. Gilbertson has over 33 years of teaching and mentoring experience. Over the years, Dr. Gilbertson has served as member, co-chairman, chairman, consultant, and councilor with a vast number of national and international organizations and committees. Some of his involvements include the National Institute on Deafness and other Communication Disorders with the National Institute of Health, Pepsi Co, Brita Water, and Libertas Academia of New Zealand.
Dr. Gilbertson has been awarded a number of competitive and research grants, totaling over $7,038,836. He also has a patent for Taste Enhancing Food Additives. Dr. Gilbertson has received a number of honors and awards, including Graduate Mentor of the Year, Teacher of the Year, Researcher of the Year, and Senior Scientist Award. He has also made appearances on CNN, Discovery Channel, NPR and PBS and in USA Today, Science News, Boston Globe, and Business Week.
- Lin F, Liu Y, Rudeski-Rohr T, Dahir N, Calder A, Gilbertson TA. (2023) Adiponectin enhances fatty acid signaling via modulation of the surface expression of CD36 in human taste cells. International Journal of Molecular Sciences (submitted)
- Omer M, Ngo C, Ali H, Orlovskaya N, Cheong VS, Ballesteros A, Garner MT, Wynn A, Martyniak K, Wei F, Collins BE, Yarmolenko SN, Asiatico J, Kinzel M, Ghosh R, Meckmongkol T, Calder A, Dahir N, Gilbertson T, Sankar J, Coathup M. (2023) The Effect of Omega-9 on Bone Viscoelasticity and Strength in an Ovariectomized Diet-Fed Murine Model. Nutrients 15, 1209. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu15051209
- Omer M, Ali H, Orlovskaya N, Ballesteros A, Cheong VS, Martyniak K, Wei F, Collins BE, Yarmolenko SN, Asiatico J, Kinzel M, Ngo C, Sankar J, Calder A, Gilbertson T, Meckmongol T, Ghosh R, Coathup M (2022) Omega-9 modifies viscoelasticity and augments bone strength and architecture in a high-fat diet-fed murine model. Nutrients 14, 3165. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu14153165
- Dahir NS, Calder AN, McKinley BJ. Liu Y, Gilbertson TA (2021) Sex differences in fat taste responsiveness are modulated by estradiol. Am J Physiol Endo Metab https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpendo.00331.2020
- Calder AN, Yu T, Dahir NS, Sun X, Gilbertson TA (2021) Ghrelin receptors enhance fat taste responsiveness in female mice. Nutrients 13 (4): 1045. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13041045
- Liu Y, Xu H, Dahir N, Calder A, Lin F, Gilbertson TA (2021) GPR84 is essential for the taste of medium chain saturated fatty acids. J Neurosci 41: 5219-5228; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2530-20.2021
- Martyniak K, Wei F, Ballesteros A, Mekmongkol T, Calder A, Gilbertson T, Orlovskaya N, Coathup M (2020) Do polyunsaturated fatty acids protect against bone loss in our aging and osteoporotic population? Bone 143, 115736. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2020.115736
- Zhang H, Zhang W, Xiao L, Liu Y, Gilbertson TA, Zhou A (2019) Use of Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering (SERS) Probes to Detect Fatty Acid Receptor Activity in a Microfluidic Device. Sensors 19 (7), 1663. https://doi.org/10.3390/s19071663
- Zhang W, Lin F, Liu Y, Zhang H, Gilbertson TA, Zhou A (2019) Spatio-temporal dynamic monitoring of fatty acid-receptors interaction on single living cells by multiplexed Raman imaging. Proc. Natl.Acad. Sci. 117: 3518-3527. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1916238117
- Xiao L, Parchur AK, Gilbertson TA, Zhou A (2018) SERS-fluorescence bimodal nanoprobes for in vitro imaging of fatty acid responsive receptor GPR120. Analytical Methods 10: 22-29. [Cover Article]
- Pittman DW, Hansen DR and Gilbertson TA. (2015) High fat diet alters the sensitivity to fatty acids in obesity-resistant but not obesity-prone rats. Journal of Molecular and Genetic Medicine 9:2 http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/1747-0862.1000168
Education & Specialties
- PhD, Zoology: Neurobiology, University of California
- Postdoctoral Training, Anatomy & Neurobiology, Colorado State University
- Mechanisms of vertebrate chemosensory transduction
- Pre- and post-ingestive mechanisms for nutrient detection
- Nutrient regulation of chemosensory function
- Hormonal and dietary modulation of gustatory function in mammals
No recent media. Please check back soon.