Shainoor Ladha-Karmali has served as Associate General Counsel and HIPAA Privacy Officer for the University of Central Florida College of Medicine since October 2011. Prior to joining the university, she served as in-house counsel for the now Altamonte Springs based Advent Health, a multi-regional integrated health care system.
Ms. Ladha-Karmali provides legal support to the College of Medicine, including the multi-specialty clinic, HealthArch (which works with community physician practices in improving health care delivery and quality), and the Graduate Medical Education program. She advises regarding health care regulatory requirements as well as medical education standards, medical resident issues, and patient care issues. She handles matters involving health law issues for various units, departments and colleges at the university. In addition, she serves as a HIPAA Privacy Officer for the College of Medicine and as HIPAA counsel for the university. She also reviews, drafts and negotiates health care related contracts for the university as well as other business contracts for the College of Medicine.
Ms. Ladha-Karmali currently serves on the American Health Lawyers Association Women’s Leadership Council. Also, she has been a civil mediator since 2002 and served as a chairperson for a faith-based mediation board for 7 years.
Ms. Ladha-Karmali received her Bachelor of Science in Psychology, cum laude, from University of Washington, her Juris Doctor, cum laude, from Seattle University, and her Master of Business Administration from University of Central Florida. She is admitted to the Florida Bar.
Principal areas of responsibility: Health law, HIPAA law and compliance, Graduate Medical Education, and Contracts
Currently serves on the following university committees
- UCF Health Sciences HIPAA Collaborative
- UCF Health Compliance Committee
- UCF/HCA Healthcare GME, Graduate Medical Education Committee
- COVID Clinical Oversight Committee
- UCF College of Medicine, Council for Diversity and Inclusion
- UCF Compliance and Ethics Advisory Committee
- UCF Security Incident Response Committee
- UCF College of Medicine, Industry Relations Committee
- UCF College of Medicine, Task Force on Civic Advocacy for Medical Students
- UCF College of Medicine, Community Initiatives Taskforce
- Interview panel for medical school applicants
Education & Specialties
- B.S. Psychology with Honors, University of Washington
- J.D. with Honors, Seattle University
- M.B.A. with distinction, University of Central Florida
No recent media. Please check back soon.