Dr. Coathup qualified in Medical Cell Biology from the University of Liverpool, United Kingdom. She furthered her knowledge and obtained a PhD in Orthopaedic Implant Fixation while working at the Institute of Orthopaedics, Division of Surgery and Interventional Science, University College London (UCL) based at the internationally leading Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, UK. She became an Assistant Professor at UCL in 2001 followed by an Associate Professor before becoming Head of the Center for Tissue and Cell Research at UCL and Divisional Head of Athena SWAN and Women in Science lead in 2014. In October 2017, Dr. Coathup joined the College of Medicine, University of Central Florida as a Professor of Medicine, and Director of the Biionix (Bionic Implants, Materials and Interfaces) Cluster. She is Editor of the book “Musculoskeletal Infection” published by Springer Nature in 2021. In 2023, Dr. Coathup was inducted as a Fellow of the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering.
Dr. Coathup’s research is focused on orthopaedic innovation with the view of applying scientific discovery to improve the treatment and care of patients. Her research focuses on developing novel antibacterial products to minimize transmission on abiotic surfaces, as well as advancing novel biomaterials, and small molecule therapeutics that boost bone repair when under challenging and complex physiological conditions. This includes aging, infection, radiotherapy-induced damage, and bone health when in the extreme environment of space; conditions that directly impede a robust osteobiological repair response. Her research includes the development of a novel synthetic bone substitute material, namely Inductigraft®(Baxter Healthcare), as well as the conception and development of a novel design of orthopaedic implant for use in bone cancer patients (Stryker Medical). Her research excellence has been recognised internationally through her publications and through receiving several prestigious UK, European and International prizes from her peers. She has successfully supervised MD and PhD research students, undergraduate and graduate research projects and examined 100+ graduate theses besides lecturing to undergradute and graduate taught students.
– Omer M, Ngo C, Ali H, Orlovskaya N, Cheong VS, Ballesteros A, Garner MT, Wynn A, Martyniak K, Wei F, Collins BE, Yarmolenko SN, Asiatico J, Kinzel M, Ghosh R, Meckmongkol T, Calder A, Dahir N, Gilberston T, Sankar J, Coathup M. The effect of omega-9 on bone viscoelasticity and strength in an ovariectomized diet-fed murine model. Nutrients, 2023.
– Caldwell M, Hughes M, Wei F, Ngo C, Pascua R, Sindu Pugazhendhi A, Coathup M. The promising applications of D-amino acids in periprosthetic joint infection. Bone Research, 2023.
– Nierenberg D, Flores O, Fox D, Sip YYL, Finn CM, Ghozlan H, Cox A, Coathup M, McKinstry KK, Zhai L, Khaled AR. Macromolecules Absorbed from Influenza Infection-Based Sera Modulate the Cellular Uptake of Polymeric Nanoparticles. Biomimetics (Basel). 2022 Nov 30;7(4):219. doi: 10.3390/biomimetics7040219.
– Pan RL, Martyniak K, Karimzadeh M, Gelikman DG, DeVries J, Sutter K, Coathup M, Razavi M, Sawh-Martinez R, Kean TJ. Systematic review on the application of 3D-bioprinting technology in orthoregeneration: current achievements and open challenges. J Exp Orthop. 2022 Sep 19;9(1):95.doi: 10.1186/s40634-022-00518-3.
– Bayat N, Davey DD, Coathup MJ, Park J-H. White Blood Cell Classification Using Multi-Attention Data Augmentation and Regularization. Big Data Cogn. Comput. 2022, 6(4), 122; https://doi.org/10.3390/bdcc6040122
-Wei F, Neal CJ, Sakthivel TS, Fu Y, Omer M, Adhikary A, Ward S, Ta KM, Moxon S, Molinari M, Yarmolenko SM, Cheong VS, Orlovskaya N, Ghosh R, Seal S, Coathup M. A novel approach for the prevention of ionizing radiation-induced bone loss using a designer multifunctional cerium oxide nanozyme. Bioactive Materials. Mar; 21: 547–565, 10.1016/j.bioactmat.2022.09.011, 2023
–aFei Wei and aKendal Flowerdew, Michael Kinzel, Luigi E Perotti, Jackson Asiatico, Mahmoud Omer, Candice Hovell, Veerle Reumers, Melanie J Coathup. aJoint first authors. Changes in Interstitial Fluid flow, Mass Transport and the Bone Cell Response in Microgravity and Normogravity. Bone Research. 2022 Nov 21;10(1):65. doi: 10.1038/s41413-022-00234-9.
-M. Omer, H. Ali, N. Orlovskaya, A. Ballesteros, V. Cheong, K. Martyniak, F. Wei, B. Collins, S. Yarmolenko, J. Asiatico, M. Kinzel, C. Ngo, J. Sankar, A. Calder, T. Gilbertson, T. Meckmongkol, R. Ghosh and M. Coathup. Omega-9 Modifies Viscoelasticity and Augments Bone Strength and Architecture in a High-Fat Diet-Fed Murine Model. (2022) Nutrients. 14(15), 3165.
-Manero A, Crawford K, Prock-Gibbs H, Shah N, Gandi D, Coathup MJ. Improving dsease prevention, diagnosis, and treatment using novel bionic technologies. Bioengineering and Translational Medicine, 2022 Jun 21;8(1):e10359. https://doi.org/10.1002/btm2.10359
-Vishnu J, Manivasagam G, Mantovani D, Udduttula A, Coathup M, Popat KC, Ren P-G, Prashanth KG. Balloon expandible coronary stent materials: a systematic review focused on clinical success. In vitro models. 2022|
Education & Specialties
- BSc (Honors), Medical Cell Biology, The University of Liverpool, UK
- PhD, Orthopedic Implant Fixation, University College of London, UK
- Orthopedic Implant Fixation
- Bone Regeneration
- The Design and Follow-up of Orthopedic Implants.
- Enhancing & Advancing Bone Regeneration, use of Biostimulative materials and Implant Fixation.
- The Use of Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Bone Tissue Engineering.
- Orthopedic Implant Infection
In The News
WNDU: ‘Smart parts’ for amputees and others: Medicine’s next big thing?