- Health Policy Yale/Hasting Fellow, Yale University (2014)
- Massachusetts General Hospital/Visiting Scholar at the Institute of Technology Assessment (ITA), Boston, 2013
- Assistant Professor of Philosophy, University of Texas at El Paso, UT System Faculty for Medical Reform, 2010-2015
- Invited Faculty, Medical Humanities, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Medical School, Depts. of Internal Medicine; Forensic Science & Psychiatry, 1998-2001
- Adjunct Professor of Philosophy, Catholic Pontifical University of Rio de Janeiro, 2001
- Epidemiology Researcher, Department of Epidemiology and Quantitative Methods, National School of Public Health, Ministry of Health, Brazil, 1999-2001
For a complete list of publications, please click here.
- Hematialam, H., Garbayo, L., Gopalakhrisnan, Zadrozny, W. “A Method for Computing Conceptual Distances between Medical Recommendations. Experiments in Modeling Medical Disagreements. Applied Sciences Journal: Computing and Artificial Intelligence.
- “Guidelines for Allocating Therapeutics – Managing Shortages of Therapeutics in Hospitals” Florida Bioethics Network Guidelines, November. Prepared by the subcommittee of the Florida Bioethics Network Advisory Board: Luciana Garbayo, MD, PhD, University of Central Florida; Marin Gillis, PhD, Roseman University; Kenneth W. Goodman, PhD, University of Miami; Ray Moseley, PhD, University of Florida (chair); Dennis Saver, MD, Cleveland Clinic Indian River Hospital; and Alissa Hurwitz Swota, PhD, Baptist Health System, Jacksonville. November 2020 https://fbn.miami.edu/_assets/pdf/resources/covid-19-resources/fbn-therapeutics-111320.pdf
- *Souza, T., Vasconcellos, M., Garbayo, L., *Breves, R., Barberia, L. “ICU Covid-19 beds Available and Occupied in Brazil: Necessary Information to Evaluate the Occupation Indicators in the States”. Research Solidarity Network, University of São Paulo. June 2020 at https://redepesquisasolidaria.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/boletimpps_9_5junho_ingles.pdf
- Souza, T; Pezente, V; Pereira, F; Garbayo, L.; Krieger, J.; Barberia, L “COVID-19: Public Policies and Society’s Response – Testing in Brazil”. Research Solidarity Network, University of São Paulo. July, 2020. https:// redepesquisasolidaria.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/boletimpps_13_26junho_ingles.pdf
- Holman, B., Bernecker, S. Garbayo, L. (guest editors) (2019) “Medical Knowledge in a Social World”, Special volume, Synthese International Journal of Philosophy, Volume 196, issue 11. International publication at https:// link.springer.com/journal/11229/196/11/page/1
- Holman, B., Bernecker, S. Garbayo, L. (Online 2018, printed 2019) Introduction to the Special Volume. “Medical Knowledge in a Social World”, Special volume, Synthese International Journal of Philosophy. International publication. at https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11229-018-1779-7
- Garbayo, L. (2019) “Metrics and Ethics in Public Health: Notes on the Relevance of Bioethics for the Analysis of Summary Measures of Population Health.” (In Portuguese) Marisa Palacios. (Ed.), Bioethics, Health & Society, Bioethics and Health Series, National School of Public Health Press, 2019. National publication. at https:// portal.fiocruz.br/livro/bioetica-saude-e-sociedade
- Berman, S. and Garbayo, L. (2019) “Revising Our Standards on Dual-Role Physicians: Proceed, but Proceed With Caution.” Contributed Open Peer Commentary (editor selected). The American Journal of Bioethics, 19(4), pp. 49–50, 2019. National publication. at https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15265161.2019.1572824?journalCode=uajb20
- Garbayo, L., Ceberio, M., Bistarelli, S., Henderson, J. (2018, Online September 2017) “On Modeling Multi-experts Multi-criteria Decision-Making Argumentation and Disagreement: Philosophical and Computational Approaches Reconsidered”. In: Ceberio, M., Kreinovich, V. (eds.) Constraint Programming and Decision Making: Theory and Applications. Studies in Systems, Decision and Control, vol 100. Springer. International Publication. at https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-61753-4_10
- Zadrozny W & Garbayo, L. (2018) A Sheaf Model of Contradictions and Disagreements: Preliminary Report. International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence and Mathematics, Fort Lauderdale, January 2018. International publication at https://arxiv.org/abs/1801.09036 (abstract), full document at https://arxiv.org/pdf/1801.09036.pdf .