Dr. Plochocki was trained in the anatomical sciences at the University of Missouri, Columbia, where he received his Ph.D. He has ten years of medical school teaching experience before coming to UCF College of Medicine, including serving as a Director of Medical Histology and Medical Embryology. He is currently an Associate Professor of Medicine in the Department of Medical Education at UCF. His primary teaching responsibilities are in the Structure and Function, and Brain and Behavior modules. He is responsible for the histology, embryology, and neuroanatomy instruction. He also participates in gross anatomy instruction.
Dr. Plochocki has diverse research interests. His recent projects have focused on developing treatments to mitigate fracture risk in models for obesity, type 2 diabetes, and Alzheimer’s disease. He has secondary research interests in clinical anatomy of the pelvis and lower extremity. Currently, he is investigating the application of three-dimensional imaging technology to the instruction of medical students.
- Plochocki JH. Several ways Generation Z may shape the medical school landscape. Journal of Medical Education and Curricular Development. 2019;6:1-4.
- Hellings A, Buchan L, Castro M, St Aubin CR, Fisher AL, Al-Nakkash L, Broderick TL, Plochocki JH. Bone Strength is Improved with Genistein Treatment in Mice with Diet-Induced Obesity. Current Development in Nutrition. 2019;3(11):121.
- Alkhouli M, Hung J, Squire M, Anderson M, Castro M, Babu JR, Al-Nakkash L, Broderick TL, Plochocki JH. Exercise and resveratrol increase fracture resistance in the 3xTg-AD mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2019;19:39.
- Hung J, Al-Nakkash L, Broderick TL, Castro M, Plochocki JH. Leptin-Deficient Mice Have Altered Three-Dimensional Growth Plate Histomorphometry. Diabetology and Metabolic Syndrome 2109;11:8.
- Buchan L, St. Aubin CR, Fisher AL, Hellings A, Castro M, Al-Nakkash L, Broderick TL, Plochocki JH. High-fat, high-sugar diet induces splenomegaly that is ameliorated with exercise and genistein treatment. BMC Research Notes 2018;11:752.
- Hall MI, Rodriguez-Sosa JR, Plochocki JH. Reorganization of mammalian body wall patterning with cloacal septation. Scientific Reports 2108;7:9182.
- Odle B, Dennison N, Al-Nakkash L, Broderick TL, Plochocki JH. Genistein treatment improves fracture resistance in obese diabetic mice. BMC Endocrine Disorders 2017;17:1.
- Plochocki JH, Ruiz SA, Rodriguez-Sosa JR, Hall MI. Histological study of Rhinoceros skin. Plos One 2017; 12(4):e0176327.
- Plochocki JH, Rodriguez-Sosa JR, Adrian B, Ruiz SA, Hall MI. A functional and clinical reinterpretation of human perineal neuromuscular anatomy: Application to sexual function and continence. Clinical Anatomy 2106;29:1053-1058.
- Michelin, RL, Al-Nakkash L, Broderick TL, Plochocki JH. Genistein treatment increases bone mass in obese, hyperglycemic mice. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets and Therapy 2106;9:63–70.
- Cooley J, Broderick TL, Al-Nakkash L, Plochocki JH. Effects of resveratrol treatment on bone and cartilage in obese diabetic mice. Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders 2105;14:10.