Dr. Jayant Deshpande has his Masters in Public Health and a Doctorate of Medicine. He began his career as an Assistant Professor and Attending Physician at John Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland. He blossomed rapidly in his career, becoming a tenured Associate Professor of Pediatrics & Anesthesiology and Director of the Division of Pediatric Critical Care and Anesthesia in six short years. He continued many professional years with Vanderbilt University Medical Center under many faculty and hospital appointments, concluding with an Adjunct Professor affiliation with the Department of Anesthesiology. Over the next eight following years, Dr. Deshpande taught as a tenured Professor at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. During four of these years, he served as Senior Vice President/Chief Quality Officer/ Associate Medical Director for the Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock, and the next four years as Chief Medical Officer. Simultaneously, he served as Director of the Jonathan Bates, MD Center for Improving Children’s Health and Endowed Pediatrics Chair for the Arkansas Children’s Hospital.
Dr. Deshpande joined the UCF College of Medicine in 2020 as a Professor of Pediatrics and shares an affiliation with the nearby Nemour’s Children’s Hospital. He has been in practice for more than 20 years. His professional experience has been recognized by a number of awards and elected leadership positions, notably his recent position as the Harvey and Bernice Jones Endowed Chair in Pediatrics and elected member of the Academic Pediatrics Society. In addition to his teaching, administrative service, and clinical care, Dr. Deshpande has participated in numerous research programs over the expanse of his career. He has served as Principal Investigator on a number of institutional and state grants, including a CDC grant. He currently has over 61 peer-reviewed publications and 30 book chapters. His professional expertise has been sought after by a number of corporations and medical advisory boards, leading to research and scientific consultation by Dr. Deshpande.
- Shaffner DH, Heitmiller ES, Deshpande JK. Pediatric perioperative life support. Anesth Analg. 2013 Oct;117(4):960-79. PMID: 24023023.
- Agarwal HS, Wolfram KB, Slayton JM, Saville BR, Cutrer WB, Bichell DP, Harris ZL, Barr FE, Deshpande JK. Template of patient-specific summaries facilitates education and outcomes in paediatric cardiac surgery units. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2013 Oct;17(4):704-9.PMID: 23832839. PMID: 23463132.
- Dodgen AL, Dodgen AC, Swearingen CJ, Gossett JM, Dasgupta R, Butt W, Deshpande JK, Gupta P. Characteristics and hemodynamic effects of extubation failure in children undergoing complete repair for tetralogy of Fallot. Pediatr Cardiol. 2013 Aug;34(6):1455-62.
- Kurth CD, Tyler D, Heitmiller E, Tosone SR, Martin L, Deshpande JK. National Pediatric Anesthesia Safety Quality Improvement Program in the United States. Anesth Analg. 2014 Jan 9. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24413551.
- Deshpande, J.K., Green, A ,Schellhase, D.E. Measuring What Really Matters in Patient Safety. Curr Treat Options Peds (2015) 1: 286.
- Honeycutt M, Linam WM, Gilliam C, Wisdom C, Deshpande, JK. Am J Infect Control. 2016 May 1;44(5):544-7. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2015.
- Ko RR, Pinyavat T, Stylianos S, Lambert SM, Anderson RC, Gallin PF, Maxwell LG, Ward, CG, Deshpande JK, Houck CS. Optimal timing of surgical procedures in pediatric patients. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2016 Oct;28(4):395-399. Review. PMID 27768675.
- Houck CS, Deshpande JK, Flick RP. The American College of Surgeons Children’s Surgery Verification and Quality Improvement Program: implications for anesthesiologists. Curr Opin Anesthesiol. 2017 Jun;30(3):376-382. dio: 10.1097/ACO.0000000000000467. Review. PMID: 28306679
- Linam WM, Honeycutt MD, Gilliam CH, Wisdom CM, Deshpande JK. Impact of a successful speaking up program on health-care worker hand hygiene behavior. Pediatr Qual Saf. 2017 Jul 25;2(4):e035. Dio: 10.1097/pq9.0000000000000035. eCollection 2017 Jul-Aug. PMID: 30229171
- Brooks Peterson M, Houck CS, Desphande JK, Flick RP. American College of Surgeons Children’s Surgery Verification quality improvement program: what anesthesiologists need to know now. Anesth Analg. 2018 May;126(5):1624-1632. doi: 10.1213/ANE.000000000000.2672. PMID: 29239957.
- Deshpande JK, Hays SR. Treatment of Acute Pain Associated with Medical Illnesses. In: JD, Deshpande JK, eds. Pediatric Pain Management for Primary Care, 2nd Edition. American Academy of Pediatrics, 2004.
- Deshpande JK, Hudson JK. Septal and Endocardial Cushion Defects. In: Lake C, ed. Pediatric Cardiac Anesthesia, 4thEdition. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2004; 329-343
- Deshpande JK, Hudson JK. Double Outlet Right Ventricle. In: Lake C, ed. Pediatric Cardiac Anesthesia, 4th Edition. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2004; 467-471.
- Deshpande JK, Kelly K, Baker M. Anesthesia for Plastic Surgery. In: Davis PJ, Motoyama E, eds. Smith’s Anesthesia for Infants and Children, (Seventh Edition). Philadelphia: Mosby, 2006; 223-236.
- Tobias JD, Deshpande JK, Johns JA, Nichols DG. Inflammatory Heart Disease. In: Nichols DG, Ungerleider RM, Spevak PJ, Greeley WJ, Cameron DE, Lappe DG, Wetzel RC, eds. Critical Heart Disease in Infants and Children, (Second Edition). Mosby, 2006; 899-926.
- Curley MAQ, Schwalenstocker E, Deshpande JK, Crowley-Ganser C, Bertoch D, Brandon J, Kurtin P. Tailoring the IHCI 100,000 Lives Campaign to Pediatric Settings: The Example of Ventilator Associated Pneumonia. In: Pediatric Clinics of North America. 2006; 53; 1231-1251.
- Roberts MA, Deshpande JK. “Anesthesia for Neurosurgery in Infants and Children.” Current Reviews in Anesthesiology. 2008.
- Vuksanaj D, Deshpande, JK. “Anesthesia for Neurosurgery in Infants and Children.” ASA Refresher Courses in Anesthesiology, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2008. 36 (1). 215-226.
- Guerguerian AM, Tasker RC, Deshpande JK. Head and spinal cord trauma. In: Nichols DG, Paidas CN, Schleien CL, Yaster M, editors. Golden Hour: The Handbook of Advanced Pediatric Life Support. 3rd ed. St. Louis: Elsevier; 2011.
- Landsman, IS, Zeigler LN, Deshpande JK (2012) Anesthesia for Pediatric Urological Procedures, in Gregory’s Pediatric Anesthesia, Fifth Edition (eds G. A. Gregory, D. B. Andropoulos), Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK. [doi: 10.1002/9781444345186.] chapter 29.