Dr. Lamvu received her undergraduate and medical degrees (MD) from Duke University and completed her residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of North Carolina (UNC) at Chapel Hill. Additionally, she received her Master of Public Health (MPH) in Epidemiology and completed a fellowship in Advanced Laparoscopy and Pelvic Pain at UNC in 2003. She is currently a Gynecologic Surgeon, and a Pelvic Pain Specialist who maintains an active educational role as a Professor in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Central Florida and Director of the Fellowship in Advanced Minimally Invasive Surgery at the Orlando VA Medical Center. Her research and publications encompass a variety of study designs including randomized clinical trials focusing on vulvodynia, chronic pelvic pain, post-operative pain and other surgical outcomes in women living with chronic pain. She also serves as Chair of the Board for the International Pelvic Pain Society.
Dr. Lamvu’s dedication to service, teaching, and excellent patient care has been honored with several awards including the Blue Ribbon Award for Excellence in Customer Service and Patient Care from the VA for two consecutive years. She received a Faculty Teaching Award, as well as a Best Research Poster Award by the International Pelvic Pain Society. In her role as an educator, she has mentored dozens of medical students, residents, and fellows in research methodology and career development. She has more than 50 peer-reviewed publications on various topics related to pelvic pain, and over 50 national and international poster, abstract, and video presentations.
A full bibliography of Dr. Lamvu’s publications is available here.
- Lo L, Lamvu G, Alappattu M, Witzeman K, Markovic D, Rapkin A. Predictors of Mucosal and Muscle Pain in Vulvodynia: A Cross-Sectional Analysis from the National Vulvodynia Registry. J Pain. 2020 Jul 14: S1526-5900(20)30050-X. doi: 10.1016/j.jpain.2020.07.001. Online ahead of print J Pain. 2020. PMID: 32679255.
- Patanwala I, Lamvu G, Mizera M, Fisk M, Blanton E, Hoover F. Teaching Restrictive Sexual Values May Increase Rates of Dyspareunia. Journal of Endometriosis and Pelvic Pain Disorders, January 2020, Vol. 12(2) 61–68, doi: 10.1177/2284026519900108.
- Lamvu G, Flores OA, Orady M, Schneider B. Path to diagnosis and women’s perspectives on the impact of endometriosis pain. Journal of Endometriosis and Pelvic Pain Disorders, 2020, Vol. 12(1) 16–25. https://doi.org/10.1177/2284026520903214.
- Patanwala I, Ouyang C, Fisk M, Lamvu G. Opioid prescription usage after benign gynecologic surgery: a prospective cohort study. Journal of Minimally Invasive Surgery, 2020; 27(4): 860-867, doi: 10.1016/j.jmig.2019.07.007. PMID:31319172.
- Carrillo JF, Lamvu G. The force is with you: Mind Tricks for Chronic Pelvic Pain-why, what and how to educate patients. PAINWeek Journal, 2019; 7(Q4): 36-43.
- Lamvu G, Soliman A, Manthena S, Gordon K, Knight J, Taylor H. Patterns of Prescription Opioids Use in Women with Endometriosis: Evaluating Prolonged Use, Daily Dose and Concomitant Use with Benzodiazepines. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2019; 133(6): 1120-1130. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000003267.
- Damm T, Lamvu G, Carrillo J, Ouyang C, Feranec J. Continuous vs. cyclic combined hormonal contraceptive for treatment of dysmenorrhea: a systematic review. Contraception: X, 2019; X(1):100002, open access, doi: 10.1016/j.conx2019.100002.
- Lamvu G, Carrillo J, Witzeman K, Alappattu M. Musculoskeletal Considerations in Female Patients with Chronic Pelvic Pain. Seminars in Reproductive Medicine 2018, Vol 36(2); 107-115, doi: 10.1055/s-0038-1676085, PMID 30566976.
- Sorensen J, Bautista K, Lamvu G, Feranec J. Evaluation and Treatment of Female Sexual Pain: A Clinical Review. Cureus 2018;10(3): e2379. doi:10.7759/cureus.2379.
- Lamvu G, Alappattu M, Witzeman K, Robinson M, Rapkin A. Patterns in vulvodynia treatments and 6-month outcomes for women enrolled in the National Vulvodynia Registry- An exploratory prospective study. Journal of Sexual Medicine 2018; 15:705-715, doi: 10.1016/j.jsxm.2018.03.003., PMID29631955.
- Lamvu G, Feranec J, Blanton E. Peri-Operative Pain Management: An Update for Obstetrician-Gynecologists. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2017 Jun 27. pii: S0002-9378(17)30790-1. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2017.06.021.
- Oshinowo A, Ionescu A, Anim A, Lamvu G. Dyspareunia and Vulvodynia. In Valovska A T, First Edition. Pelvic Pain Management. Oxford University Press, 2016: 44-57.
- Colimon L, Hill DA, Lamvu G. Multidisciplinary management of chronic pelvic pain without obvious pathology. In Vercellini P, Eds. Chronic Pelvic Pain. Wiley-Blackwell: John Wiley and Sons, 2011:141-154. Doi: 10.1002/9781444391855.ch14.
- Steege JF, Lamvu G, Zolnoun D. Treatment of pain associated with endometriosis. In Sutton C, Gones K and Adamson GD, Eds. Modern Management of Endometriosis. Oxford: Taylor and Francis, 2005: 273-287. Doi: 10.1201/b14621-31.