Dr. Feroza Daroowalla received her M.D. degree from SUNY Health Sciences University and completed her Internal Medicine residency at the University of Connecticut. She continued on to receive her MPH in Environmental Health at the School of Public Health at the University of Washington, followed by clinical fellowships there. She has been board certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Disease, Critical Care Medicine, Hospice and Palliative Medicine, and Occupational Medicine. Most recently, Dr. Daroowalla served as Chief, Section of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine with the Orlando VAMC.
Dr. Daroowalla has been in full time academic clinical practice in pulmonary and critical care for most of her career. In addition, she has been a mentor for medical students, graduate medical trainees, and junior faculty. She served as the director of the Internal Medicine Clerkship and MS4 Education; and the co-director of the MS2 Pulmonary Pathology course at Stony Brook University School of Medicine. There, she received a faculty nomination for the Alpha Omega Alpha Society and was chosen to receive the Aesculapius Award, in Recognition of Outstanding Teaching. She has also participated as a physician volunteer for the World Lung Foundation in Ethiopia, Doctors of the World in asylum evaluations, and at the Dr. Polo Galindo Clinic in Honduras.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Wackett A, Daroowalla F, Lu W, Chandran. The Fourth Year as a Stepping Stone to Graduate Medical Education: Lessons learned from a curriculum reform process. Submitted April 2015.
- Roberts L, Lu WH, Go R, Daroowalla F. Effect of Bedside Physical Diagnosis Training on Third Year Medical Students’ Physical Exam Skills. Teaching and Learning in Medicine. 2014: 26 (1): 81-5.
- Lester P, Daroowalla F, Harisingani R, Sykora A, Lolis J, Patrick P, Feuerman M, Berger J. Evaluation of Housestaff Knowledge and Perception of Competence in Palliative Symptom Management. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2011 Feb; 14(2):139-45. Epub 2011 Jan 9.
- Solomita M, Palmer L, Daroowalla F, LeBlanc D, Lui J, Smaldone G. Humidification and Secretion Volume in Mechanically Ventilated Patients. Respiratory Care. Respir Care. 2009 Oct;54(10):1329-35.
- Banks DE, Shi R, McLarty J, Cowl CT, Smith D, Tarlo SM, Daroowalla F, Balmes J, Baumann M.; American College of Chest Physicians consensus statement on the respiratory health effects of asbestos. Results of a Delphi study. Chest. Jun 2009 135(6): 1619-27.
- Solomita M, Daroowalla F, Leblanc D, Smaldone G. Y-piece Temperature and Humidification During Mechanical Ventilation. Respiratory Care. 2009 Apr; 54(4):480-6.
- Tarlo SM, Balmes J, Balkissoon R, Beach J, Beckett W, Bernstein D, Blanc PD, Brooks SM, Cowl CT, Daroowalla F, Harber P, Lemiere C, Liss GM, Pacheco KA, Redlich CA, Rowe B, Heitzer J. Diagnosis and management of work-related asthma: American College Of Chest Physicians Consensus Statement. Chest. 2008 Sep;134(3 Suppl):1S-41S.
- Palmer LB, Smaldone GC, Chen JJ, Baram D, Duan T, Monteforte M, Varela M, Tempone AK, O’Riordan T, Daroowalla F, Richman PS, Aerosolized Antibiotics and Respiratory Infection in Intubated Patients. Crit Care Med. 2008 Jul;36(7):2008-13.
- Baram D, Daroowalla F, Garcia RB, Zhang G, Chen JJ, Healy E, Riaz, Richman PS, Use of the All Patient Refined-Diagnosis Related Group (APR-DRG) Risk of Mortality Score as a Severity Adjustor in the Medical ICU. Clinical Medicine: Circulatory, Respiratory and Pulmonary Medicine 2008:2 19–25.