Dr. Ashwini Komarla is board certified in Internal Medicine and Rheumatology. She is the Director of Quality and Patient Safety for the Internal Medicine Residency with the University of Central Florida College of Medicine. She is a Rheumatology Staff Physician with the Orlando VA Medical Center and is an Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine with the University of Central Florida College of Medicine. Dr. Komarla also holds many society memberships, including the American College of Rheumatology, American Medical Women’s Association, and the Society of Hospital Medicine.
Dr. Komarla has received several distinguished honors over the past few years. She was also awarded the AMGEN Rheumatology Fellowship Training Award and was a North American Young Rheumatology Investigator Forum Semifinalist. Additionally, Dr. Komarla is a reviewer for the Journal of Clinical Rheumatology and the Journal of General Internal Medicine.
In partnership with the VA, UCF College of Medicine has identified individuals that provide a significant contribution to the college and medical students. Dr. Komarla joined the college in August of 2016 as part of this partnership. VA faculty members are invited to participate in teaching assignments, curriculum and admissions committees, student affairs and research mentorship. Their contributions make a significant impact for both the college and students.
- Komarla A, Kahl LE. Radiographic Imaging of Rheumatic Diseases. In: Kahl LE, ed. The Washington Manual of Rheumatology Subspecialty Consult. 2nd Philadelphia: LWW, 2012: 42-51.
- Komarla A, Gupta R, Ali Z. Osteoporosis. In: Kahl LE, ed. The Washington Manual of Rheumatology Subspecialty Consult. 2nd Philadelphia: LWW, 2012: 381-9.
- Gupta R, Komarla A, Ali Z. Avascular Necrosis. In: Kahl LE, ed. The Washington Manual of Rheumatology Subspecialty Consult. 2nd Philadelphia: LWW, 2012: 390-4.
- Komarla A and Komarla R. A Multiparous Woman with Acute Abdominal Pain: “Coping” with the Diagnosis. KSMD. 2015 April; 42.
- Komarla, A. Psoriatic Arthritis: Ivory Phalanx, First Toe. Rheumatology Image Library. 2015.
- Komarla A, Yu G, Shahane A. Pleural Effusion, Pneumothorax, and Lung Entrapment in Rheumatoid Arthritis. JCR. 2015 June; 21(4): 211-215.
- Komarla A, Traxler S, Fisher L, Schreiber C, and Von Feldt J. Family Planning, Contraceptive Methods, and Rheumatic Disease. ACR website Patient Handout 2014
- Komarla A, George M, Sreih A, and Derk C. Takayasu’s Arteritis: Hits Above and Below the Diaphragm. The Rheumatologist. 2014 May; 8(5): 1, 37-40.
- Komarla A, Schumacher HR, Merkel PA. Clinical Images: Spinal Gout Presenting as Acute Low Back Pain. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 2013 Oct; 65(10): 2660.
- Gonzalez-Fuentes A, Komarla A, Gomez JI. Posterior Reversible Encephalopathy Syndrome in a Patient with ANCA Associated Vasculitis. Rheumatology International. 2012 Aug; 32(8): 2529-2530.
Education & Specialties
- B.A., Economics, Rice University, Houston, TX
- M.D., Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Internship, Internal Medicine, Washington University in St. Louis, MO
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Washington University in St. Louis, MO
- Fellowship, Rheumatology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Internal Medicine
- Quality Improvement
- RA and Cardiovascular Disease
- Rheumatologic Lab Testing
No recent media. Please check back soon.