- College of Medicine
Two days before commencement, the Class of 2014 gathered with faculty members to celebrate the four-year medical school journey they had made together and to recognize outstanding student academic achievement.
Class Day 2014 at the Fairwinds Alumni Center on the UCF main campus, honored the 55 students who will graduate Friday – only the second class in the history of the young UCF College of Medicine.
“You led by example and brought to life our new medical school,” Dr. Deborah German, vice president for medical affairs and founding dean of the college, told the graduates. “You helped the UCF College of Medicine begin a national reputation. You set the bar high for those who will follow you in the classroom, the laboratory, the clinic and the community. You have far exceeded my expectations.”
Students received awards for specific specialties, overall academic excellence and individual person achievement. The Dean’s Award, given to the student with the highest academic performance who embodies professionalism, compassion, and integrity, went to Casey deDeugd. Roger Sandelin received the Osler Award, chosen by students, which goes to the medical student who has demonstrated the most perseverance in overcoming obstacles to succeed.
The Hippocratic Oath Award, presented to the faculty member who best embodies the ideals of Hippocrates in compassionate patient care, the highest ethical standards, and dedication to excellence, went to Dr. Sergio Salazar. As part of the honor, Dr. Salazar will lead graduates on Friday in taking the oath after they receive their diplomas.
As she closed the ceremony, Dr. Marcy Verduin, associate dean of students, reflected on the memories and accomplishments the Class of 2014 created and how Friday’s commencement will begin a new transition. “This is the moment that we have all been working toward,” she said. “Your graduation represents your transformation from novice learners into young physicians we eagerly welcome as our colleagues.”
Just days away from being doctoral alumni of UCF, students also had an opportunity to pose with Knightro, the university mascot, who was wearing a giant stethoscope for the medical school occasion.
Here is a full list of Class Day 2014 Honorees.
- Outstanding Senior in Internal, Family Medicine — Christopher Reilly
- Internal Medicine ACP Award – Asha Balakrishnan
- Outstanding Senior in Neurology — Renata Chalfin
- Outstanding Senior in OB/GYN – Jocelyn Ray
- Outstanding Senior in Pediatrics – Samantha Ulmer
- Outstanding Senior in Psychiatry – Zaw Maung
- Outstanding Senior in Surgery – Avianne Bunnell
- COM Academic Excellence Awards – Renata Chalfin, Stacie Chitwood, Casey deDeugd, Malgorzata Krzyszczak, Thomas Lucak, Christopher Reilly
- Faculty Choice Award – Jennifer Bazemore
- Student Choice Award – Alvin DeTorres
- Osler Award – Roger Sandelin
- Dean’s Award – Casey deDeugd
- Hippocratic Oath Award – Dr. Sergio Salazar