Description: A semester-long internship designed to provide four pre-medical students exposure to the operating room alongside a diverse team of surgeons. Interns will have the opportunity to observe surgeries and work directly with the attending surgeons to learn first-hand about various procedures and medical pathologies.
Program Director: Dr. Gideon J. Lewis
Assistant Program Director: Darya (Dasha) Sulkouskaya (UCF ‘Spring 25)
Locations: AdventHealth Winter Park
Length of Internship: One semester (Following successful completion of the internship, students will have the opportunity to continue participating in internship-related activities while at UCF)
Shadowing Commitment: Minimum of 4 hours per week (Average Total Shadowing Hours
Completed by Past Interns: 150-200 hours)
Case Studies: Interns will be required to write three peer-reviewed case studies. One will be presented at the end-of-the-semester banquet.
Monthly Surgical Workshop Attendance: Required
– Each month, an attending surgeon of the program will host a hands-on and interactive surgical workshop related to their own surgical specialty. Workshops are mandatory for interns and optional for past interns.
Monthly Meeting with the Masters Attendance: Required
– Throughout the semester, interns will have the opportunity to participate in interactive roundtable discussions with leaders from various industries, including but not limited to: government, business, athletics, entertainment, etc.
Minimum GPA: 3.5
- Completion of application on Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences webpage
- Unofficial copy of transcripts/academic audit
- Personal Resume
- “Weekly View” of Fall or Spring class schedule
Interview: Following a comprehensive selection process, ten applicants will be interviewed by the Program Director and Assistant Directors prior to the start of each semester. Interviews will take place on the University of Central Florida’s Main Campus.
Program Orientation: The first UCF Surgical Internship Orientation will take place during the late afternoon or early evening during the first week of the semester. Details regarding the specific date—and about the second orientation—will be released later in the selection process.
Academic Credit: Registration for MCB 4941 (required ONLY for selected Program Participants – one credit), graded S/U