The UCF Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences has established agreements with a number of health care provider organizations and physician practitioners in the greater Orlando area to implement one-semester long clinical shadowing internship opportunities for UCF premedical students. We will register selected students for the one credit hour MCB 4941 internship course for the participating semester. The students’ service efforts and attendance record are evaluated at the end of the semester of service by the physicians they shadow or by pertinent administrators of the medical facility where their service took place. Students are also required to attend orientation and a midterm meeting and to complete a midterm report and final report.
Dr. Alicia Hawthorne oversees the management of these internships, including the selection, placement, and the grading of participants, while the Office of Pre-Health and Pre-Law Advising (OPHPLA) has generously agreed to link interested students with our BSBS website. A committee of Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences faculty and staff will participate in the review of applications and selection of the internship student participants. Surgical internship applicants will also be evaluated by the physician program director and assistants. Students will be notified of acceptance into the program by Friday of the first week of classes. An orientation session for selected student participants will take place during the first or second week of classes on the main UCF campus.
Applications are typically due by August 1st at 11:59 pm for the Fall semester and by December 1st at 11:59 pm for the spring semester. To apply for one of these internships, please submit an online application using the link posted below and email supplemental materials detailed in the application to BSBSClinIntern@ucf.edu. If no link is posted, we are not yet accepting applications. Applications should be available in May for Fall and in October for Spring. For questions, please contact Dr. Alicia Hawthorne.
Summer and Fall internship applications are now open! There is a separate application for each internship. If you are interested in both, you need to apply through both applications. There are a limited number of summer internship positions due May 5th at 11:59 pm. The due date for our regular fall cycle is Aug 1st at 11:59 pm.
Internships potentially available for Summer 2022 (due May 5) are*:
Internships potentially available for Fall 2022 (due Aug 1) are*:
*Note: availability is subject to change.
The application consists of 2 parts:
- Online Summer 2022 application and/or Online Fall 2022 application
- Email attachment to BSBSClinIntern@ucf.edu:
The following items are required to be emailed to BSBSClinIntern@ucf.edu. Please put all items in a single attachment. We prefer pdf but will also accept Word documents. Do not send a Google docs document. Your application is not considered complete until you submit this application AND we receive these items via email.
1. Grades: A record of your grades. The “Course History” section from your myKnight’s Degree Audit is preferred; however, an unofficial transcript is acceptable. Highlight courses from your major and any other hard science courses you have taken. List the expected grades for courses in which you are currently enrolled.
2. Involvement: A CV or resume, including experiences, shadowing, research, clubs, leadership positions, etc., including locations and total hours, if relevant, for each.
3. Schedule: Your course schedule (“weekly view”) for the desired internship semester. Note/explain any classes with flexible days/times during the internship semester.
4. Picture: A head shot of yourself looking professional, similar to a passport photo.
5. Letter of Recommendation: Applicants who are not Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences majors must include a letter of recommendation from a UCF professor. The letter should be emailed as an attachment directly from the professor to BSBSClinIntern@ucf.edu with the student’s name in the subject. The letter must be emailed to BSBSClinIntern@ucf.edu by the deadline: 11:59 pm May 5 for summer or Aug 1 for fall. If you are a major in the Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences, skip this step; do not send in a letter of recommendation.
Please contact Dr. Alicia Hawthorne at email@example.com with questions.
Check back in October for spring 2023 applications, due Dec 1.