Dr. Hung Nguyen is an Assistant Professor of Medicine in College of Medicine at the University of Central Florida. He has a tremendous interest in understanding how cell metabolism decides T-cell fate and function in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation, adoptive T-cell transfer therapy and autoimmune diseases.
Dr. Nguyen received his BSc from Hanoi University of Pharmacy in Vietnam. He then earned a PhD in Biochemistry at Chungnam National University in Korea. He began the postdoctoral training on hematopoietic stem cell transplantation and cancer immunology at Medical University of South Carolina. He found that T-cells metabolically reprogram after allogeneic bone marrow stem cell transplantation. He started his lab at the University of Central Florida in August 2019 with an extensive scientific program in immunotherapy. His lab located at Lake Nona Campus.
Nguyen Lab studies the integration of metabolism and T-cell biology. Specifically, he tries to understand how metabolism regulates T-cell auto/allo-reactivity in autoimmune diseases, transplantation and cancers. It has now become apparent that metabolism is a key factor regulating T-cell response. Pathogenic T-cells possess distinct metabolic profiles in different immunological disorders. One line study of the Nguyen Lab will be translating knowledge of metabolism into therapeutic approaches for the treatment of autoimmune disease, transplant rejection, and graft-versus-host disease. T-cells and cancer cells are well known for competing for nutrients in tumor microenvironment. In this regard, Nguyen Lab will be focusing on targeting nutrient sensing and metabolism to improve the efficacy of cancer immunotherapy.
Website: Hung Nguyen Lab website
- Nguyen H, Alawieh A, Bastian D, Kuril S, Daenthanasanmak A, Schutt S, Iamsawat S, Carl A, Tomlinson S, Yu XZ: Inhibition of Alternative Complement Pathway in Target Organs Represents a Novel and Effective Approach to Control GVHD While Sparing GVL Effect. Clin Cancer Res. 2019. (minor revision)
- Nguyen H, Chatterjee S, Haarberg KM, Wu Y, Bastian D, Heinrichs J, Fu J, Daenthanasanmak A, Schutt S, Shrestha S, Liu C, Wang H, Chi H, Mehrotra S, Yu XZ. Metabolic reprogramming of alloantigen-activated T cells after hematopoietic cell transplantation. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2016; 126(4):1337-52.PubMed [journal] PMID: 26950421, PMCID: PMC4811142 (Featured Scientific Article). Here
- Chakraborty P, Chatterjee S, Kesarwani P, Thyagarajan K, Iamsawat S, Dalheim A, Nguyen H, Selvam SP, Nasarre P, Scurti G, Hardiman G, Maulik N, Ball LE, Gangaraju V, Rubinstein MP, Klauber-DeMore N, Hill EG, Ogretmen B, Yu XZ, Nishimura MI, Mehrotra S. Thioredoxin-1 improves the immuno-metabolic phenotype of anti-tumor T cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2019 Apr 10. pii: jbc.RA118.006753. doi: 10.1074/jbc.RA118.006753. PubMed PMID: 30971427. Here
- Nguyen H, Kuril S, Bastian D, Kim J, Zhang M, Vaena SG, Dany M, Dai M, Heinrichs JL, Daenthanasanmak A, Iamsawat S, Schutt S, Fu J, Wu Y, Fairlie DP, Atkinson C, Ogretmen B, Tomlinson S, Yu XZ. Complement C3a and C5a receptors promote GVHD by suppressing mitophagy in recipient dendritic cells.JCI Insight. 2018 Dec 20;3(24). pii: 121697. doi: 10.1172/jci.insight.121697. PubMed PMID: 30568037. Here
- Chatterjee S, Daenthanasanmak A, Chakraborty P, WyattW, Dhar P, Selvam SP, Fu J, Zhang J, Nguyen H, Kang I, Toth K, Al-Homrani M, Husain M, Beeson G, Ball L, Helke K, Husain S, Garrett-Mayer E, Hardiman G, Mehrotra M, Nishimura MI, Beeson CC, Bupp MG, Wu J, Ogretmen B, Paulos CM, Rathmell J, Yu XZ, Mehrotra S. CD38-NAD Axis Regulates Immunotherapeutic Anti-Tumor T Cell Response. Cell Metabolism.2018; 27(1):85-100.e8. NIHMSID: NIHMS941367 PubMed [journal] PMID: 29129787, PMCID: PMC5837048. Here
- Chakraborty P, Thyagarajan K, Chatterjee C, Al-Khami A, Selvam S-P, Wyatt M-W, Kang I-H, Nguyen H, Baliga U, Vaena S, Nganga R, Guo B, Beeson G, Paulos C, Yu XZ, Beeson C, Hill EG, Zilliox M, Mehrotra M, Ogretmen B, Mehrotra S. Pro-survival Lipid Signaling Metabolically Reprograms T Cell to Limit Anti-Tumor Activity. Cell Report 2019; 28(7):1879-1893.e7. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2019.07.044. Here
- Nguyen H, Kuril S, Bastian D, Yu XZ. T-Cell Metabolism in Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation. Frontiers in Immunology.2018; 9:176. PubMed [journal] PMID: 29479351, PMCID: PMC5811499. Here
- Daenthanasanmak A, Iamsawat S, Chakraborty P, Nguyen H, Bastian D, Liu C, Mehrotra S, Yu XZ. Targeting Sirt-1 controls GVHD by inhibiting T-cell allo-response and promoting Treg stability in mice. Blood. 2018 Dec 4. pii: blood-2018-07-863233. doi: 10.1182/blood-2018-07-863233. PubMed PMID: 30514750.
- Daenthanasanmak A, Wu Y, Iamsawat S, Nguyen H, Bastian D, Zhang M, Sofi MH, Chatterjee S, Hill EG, Mehrotra S, Kraft AS, Yu XZ. PIM-2 protein kinase negatively regulates T cell responses in transplantation and tumor immunity. The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 128(7):2787-2801, PMCID: PMC6025986 Here
- Iamsawat S, Daenthanasanmak A, Voss J-H, Nguyen H, Bastian D, Liu C, and Yu X-Z. Targeting JAK2 Promotes Foxp3 Stability and Function of CD8 iTregs in Prevention of Murine Graft-versus-Host Disease. Journal of Immunology. 2018;201(9):2812-2823. PMID: 30242073. (Featured Scientific Article) Here
- Wu Y, Schutt S, Paz K, Zhang M, Flynn RP, Bastian D, Sofi MH, Nguyen H, Dai M, Liu C, Chang YJ, Blazar BR, Yu XZ. MicroRNA-17-92 is required for T-cell and B-cell pathogenicity in chronic graft-versus-host disease in mice. Blood. 2018; 131(17):1974-1986. PubMed [journal] PMID: 29530952, PMCID: PMC5921962.
- Schutt SD, Wu Y, Tang CH, Bastian D, Nguyen H, Sofi MH, Zhang M, Liu C, Helke K, Wilson C, Schnapp LM, Del Valle JR, Hu CC, Yu XZ. Inhibition of the IRE-1α/XBP-1 pathway prevents chronic GVHD and preserves the GVL effect in mice. Blood Advances. 2018; 2(4):414-427. PubMed [journal] PMID: 29483082, PMCID: PMC5858472.
- Betts BC, Bastian D, Iamsawat S, Nguyen H, Heinrichs JL, Wu Y, Daenthanasanmak A, Veerapathran A, O’Mahony A, Walton K, Reff J, Horna P, Sagatys EM, Lee MC, Singer J, Chang YJ, Liu C, Pidala J, Anasetti C, Yu XZ. Targeting JAK2 reduces GVHD and xenograft rejection through regulation of T cell differentiation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2018; 115(7):1582-1587. PubMed [journal] PMID: 29382747, PMCID: PMC5816153. Here
- Wu Y, Heinrichs J, Bastian D, Fu J, Nguyen H, Schutt S, Liu Y, Jin J, Liu C, Li QJ, Xia C, Yu XZ. MicroRNA-17-92 controls T-cell responses in graft-versus-host disease and leukemia relapse in mice. Blood. 2015; 126(11):1314-23. PubMed [journal] PMID: 26138686, PMCID: PMC4566810.
- Schutt SD, Fu J, Nguyen H, Bastian D, Heinrichs J, Wu Y, Liu C, McDonald DG, Pidala J, Yu XZ. Inhibition of BTK and ITK with Ibrutinib Is Effective in the Prevention of Chronic Graft-versus-Host Disease in Mice. PloS one. 2015; 10(9):e0137641. PubMed [journal] PMID: 26348529, PMCID: PMC4562702. Here
- Hung N, Kim MR, Sok DE. Mechanisms for anti-inflammatory effects of 1-[15(S)-hydroxyeicosapentaenoyl] lysophosphatidylcholine, administered intraperitoneally, in zymosan A-induced peritonitis. British Journal of Pharmacology. 2011; 162(5):1119-35. PubMed [journal] PMID: 21091644, PMCID: PMC3051384 Here
- Hung N, Kim MR, Sok DE. Oral administration of 2-docosahexaenoyl lysophosphatidylcholine displayed anti-inflammatory effects on zymosan A-induced peritonitis. 2011; 34(3):147-60. PubMed [journal] PMID: 20490641. Here
- Hung N, Kim MR, Sok DE. Purification and characterization of lysophospholipase C from pig brain. Neurochemical Research. 2010; 35(1):50-9. PubMed [journal] PMID: 19588246. Here