Research in my laboratory is focused toward understanding the molecular mechanism of regulation of gene expression in prostate and breast cancer, specifically, components of signaling pathways that are involved in cell cycle regulation, progression of metastasis and development of drug resistance. One of the major challenges for treatment of aggressive prostate cancer is development of resistance to chemotherapeutic agents and hormone ablation therapy. We are conducting research on the role of microRNAs on regulation of gene expression and development of resistance to therapies. Our research led to identification of a signature set of microRNAs for detection of aggressive and drug resistant cancers. Additionally, we are determining the mechanism of altered responsiveness to the agents that are involved in induction of mitotic arrest and apoptosis. Our research is directed towards determining the functional roles of cell cycle regulatory proteins, kinases and proteinases on cell cycle progression and turnover of tumor microenvironment. Our studies indicated that DNA replication licensing protein Cdc6 is hormonally regulated and its expression profile could be used as a diagnostic marker for progression and metastasis of prostate cancer. Our studies also identified a functional link between expression of a cytoskeleton regulatory protein and promotion of invasion and metastasis. We are also conducting high throughput screening of compound libraries for identifying novel anticancer agents. Furthermore, we are conducting collaborative research on optimization of uniquely fabricated multifunctional biodegradable polymer particles for cell-specific binding and delivery of therapeutics specifically to cancer cells, and separation of cancer cells from normal cells. Our collaborative research also includes studies on the function of kinases and their native substrates in regulation of cell cycle progression through reversible protein phosphorylation in protozoan parasites.
Recent Publications & Patents
- Hasan MF, Ganapathy K, Sun J, Khatib A, Andl T, Soulakova JN, Coppola D, Zhang W, Chakrabarti R (2021). LncRNA PAINT is associated with aggressive prostate cancer and dysregulation of cancer hallmark genes. Int J Cancer. Mar 17. doi: 10.1002/ijc.33569. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33729568 Journal IF: 5.15
- Berglund A, Amankwah EK, Kim YC, Spiess PE, Sexton WJ, Manley B, Park HY, Wang L, Chahoud J, Chakrabarti R, Yeo CD, Luu HN, Pietro GD, Parker A, Park JY. (2020). Influence of gene expression on survival of clear cell renal cell carcinoma Cancer Med. 9(22):8662-8675. doi: 10.1002/cam4.3475. Epub 2020 Sep 28. PMID: 32986937. Journal IF: 3.36
- Andl T, Ganapathy K. Bossan A, Chakrabarti R. (2020) MicroRNAs as Guardians of the Prostate: Those who Stand before Cancer. What do we really know about the Role of MicroRNAs in Prostate Biology? Review. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 21(13):E4796.doi: 10.3390/ijms21134796. PMID:32645914. Journal IF: 4.56
- Xu K., Wang, Z., Copland, J.A., Chakrabarti, R., Florczyk, S. (2020) 3D porous chitosan-chondroitin sulfate, scaffolds promote epithelial to mesnchymal transition in prostate cancer cells. Biomaterials org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2020.120126. PMID: 32480094. Journal IF: 10.33
- Ganapathy, K., Staklinski, S., Hasan, M.F., Ottman, R., Andl, T., Berglund, A.E., Park, J.Y., Chakrabarti, R. (2020) Multifaceted function of microRNA-299-3p fosters an antitumor environment through modulation of androgen receptor and VEGFA signaling pathways in prostate cancer. Sci. Rep10:5167. doi:10.1038/s41598-020-62038-3. PMID:32198489. Journal IF: 4.01
- Shaid, M., George, T.B., Saller, J., Haija, M., Sayegh, Z., Boulware, D. Strosberg, J., Chakrabarti, R., Coppola, D. (2019) FGD4 (Frabin) overexpression in pancreatic neuroendocrine neoplasms. Pancreas, 10, 1307-1311. PMID:31688594. Journal IF: 2.92;
- Xu, K., Ganapathy, K., Andl, T., Wang, Z., Copland, J.A., Chakrabarti, R., Florczyk, S.J. (2019). 3D porous chitosan-alginate scaffold stiffness promotes differential responses in prostate cancer cell lines. Biomaterials, 217,:119311, PMID: 31279100. Journal IF: 10.33
- Bossan, A., Ottman, R, Andl, T., Hasan, M.F., Mahajan, N., Coppola, D. and Chakrabarti, R. (2018) Expression of FGD4 positively correlates with the aggressive phenotype of prostate cancer. BMC Cancer, 18:1257. PMID 30558664. Journal IF: 3.21
- Pease, B. N., Huttlin, H. L., Jedrychowski, M. P., Dorin-Semblat, D., Sebastiani, M., Segarra,D. T., Robert, B. F., Chakrabarti, R., Doerig, D., Gygi, S. P. and Chakrabarti, D. (2018) Characterization of Plasmodium falciparum atypical kinase PfPK7-dependent phosphoproteome. J. Proteome Res. 17: 2112-2123. PMID: 29678115. Journal IF: 4.07
- Ottman, R, Levy, J., Grizzle, W. E. and Chakrabarti, R. (2016) The other face of miR-17/92 cluster, exhibiting tumor suppressor effects in prostate cancer. Oncotarget 7:73739-73753 PMID: 27650539. Journal IF: 3.71
- Ritchey, L. and R. (2014) Aurora A kinase modulates actin cytoskeleton through phosphorylation of Cofilin: Implication in the mitotic process. Biochem Byophys Acta, 1843, 2719-2729. PMID: 25090971. Journal IF: 4.11
- Ottman, R., Nguyen, C., Lorch, R., Chakrabarti, R. (2014). MicroRNA expressions associated with progression of prostate cancer cells to antiandrogen therapy resistance. Cancer.13:1. PMID: 24387052. Journal IF: 15.3
- Kaufman, J., Ottman, R., Tao, G., Shabahang, S., Banaei, E., Liang, X., Johnson, S.G., Fink, Y., Chakrabarti, R. And Abouraddy, A.F. (2013). In-fiber emulsification of polymer particles for biosensing and encapsulation. Natl. Acad. Sci. 110:15549-54. PMID: 24019468. Journal IF: 9.58
- Chakrabarti, R., Ottman, R., Coppola, D., Mahajan, N. Methods and Prognosis of Epithelial Tumor. US10,655,185, Filed: 11/10/2015, Issued: 5/19/2020.
- Chakrabarti, R. Increasing taxane sensitivity in cancer cells. Patent Number: US 9,532,972, Filed: 2/7/2013, Issued: 1/3/2017
- Chakrabarti, R. Co-targeting of Aurora A kinase and LIM kinase 1 for cancer therapy. Patent number: US 8,911,725, Filed: 6/23/2011, Issued: 12/16/2014.
- Chakrabarti, R. Methods and compositions for inhibiting the proliferation of cancer cells. Patent number: US 8,802,649 B2, Filed: 4/4/2013, Issued: 8/12/2014.
- Chakrabarti, R. Methods and compositions for inhibiting the proliferation of cancer cells. Patent number: US 8,415,315 B2, Filed: 2/16/2010; Issued: 4/9/2013
No information specified.
No recent media. Please check back soon.