Understanding the mechanisms of cell membrane permeation by antibiotics and the strategies utilized by bacteria to resist these antibiotics is crucial for the design of antimicrobial agents that target not only aaPGSs and their regulatory mechanisms, but also individual components of the remodeled membrane. The focus of our research is to define the structure-function relationship of aaPGS family members from a variety of microorganisms and to determine the extent of the different amino acids utilized by these enzymes for lipid modification. These studies will provide insight into the biological significance of aa-PGs and the role of these modified lipids in bacterial pathogenicity and environmental adaptation.
Grube CD, Roy H. A Quantitative Spectrophotometric Assay to Monitor the tRNA-Dependent Pathway for Lipid Aminoacylation In Vitro. Journal of biomolecular screening. 2016; 21(7):722-8. PMID:27073192
Smith AM, Harrison JS, Grube CD, Sheppe AE, Sahara N, Ishii R, Nureki O, Roy H. tRNA-dependent alanylation of diacylglycerol and phosphatidylglycerol in Corynebacterium glutamicum. Molecular microbiology. 2015; 98(4):681-93. NIHMSID: NIHMS733861 PMID:26235234 PMCID:PMC4639916
Dare K, Shepherd J, Roy H, Seveau S, Ibba M. LysPGS formation in Listeria monocytogenes has broad roles in maintaining membrane integrity beyond antimicrobial peptide resistance. Virulence. 2014; 5(4):534-46. PMID:24603093 PMCID:PMC4063814
Smith, A. M., Harrison, J. S., Sprague, K. M., and Roy, H. (2013)A conserved hydrolase responsible for the cleavage of aminoacylphosphatidylglycerol in the membrane of Enterococcus faecium. J. Biol. Chem. 288, 22768-22776
Lorber B, Fischer F, Bailly M, Roy H, Kern D. Protein analysis by dynamic light scattering: methods and techniques for students. Biochemistry and molecular biology education : a bimonthly publication of the International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 2012; 40(6):372-82. PMID:23166025
- Zou SB, Hersch SJ, Roy H, Wiggers JB, Leung AS, Buranyi S, Xie JL, Dare K, Ibba M, and Navarre WW, Loss of elongation factor P disrupts bacterial outer membrane integrity. J Bacteriol, 2012. 194(2): 413-425.
Rogers TE, Ataide SF, Dare K, Katz A, Seveau S, Roy H, Ibba M. A pseudo-tRNA modulates antibiotic resistance in Bacillus cereus. PloS one. 2012; 7(7):e41248. PMID:22815980 PMCID:PMC3399842
- Zou SB, Roy H, Ibba M, and Navarre WW, Elongation factor P mediates a novel post-transcriptional regulatory pathway critical for bacterial virulence. Virulence, 2011. 2(2): 147-51.
- Roy H, Zou SB, Bullwinkle TJ, Wolfe BS, Gilreath MS, Forsyth CJ, Navarre WW, and Ibba M, The tRNA synthetase paralog PoxA modifies elongation factor-P with (R)-beta-lysine. Nat Chem Biol, 2011. 7(10): 667-9.
- Gilreath MS, Roy H, Bullwinkle TJ, Katz A, Navarre WW, and Ibba M, beta-Lysine discrimination by lysyl-tRNA synthetase. FEBS Lett, 2011. 585(20): 3284-8.
- Blaise M, Frechin M, Olieric V, Charron C, Sauter C, Lorber B, Roy H, and Kern D, Crystal Structure of the Archaeal Asparagine Synthetase: Interrelation with Aspartyl-tRNA and Asparaginyl-tRNA Synthetases. J Mol Biol, 2011. 412(3): 437-52.
- Banerjee R, Reynolds NM, Yadavalli SS, Rice C, Roy H, Banerjee P, Alexander RW, and Ibba M, Mitochondrial Aminoacyl-tRNA Synthetase Single-Nucleotide Polymorphisms That Lead to Defects in Refolding but Not Aminoacylation. J Mol Biol, 2011. 410(2): 280-93.
- Roy H and Ibba M, Bridging the gap between ribosomal and nonribosomal protein synthesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 2010. 107(33): 14517-8.
- Reynolds NM, Ling J, Roy H, Banerjee R, Repasky SE, Hamel P, and Ibba M, Cell-specific differences in the requirements for translation quality control. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 2010. 107(9): 4063-8.
- Navarre WW, Zou SB, Roy H, Xie JL, Savchenko A, Singer A, Edvokimova E, Prost LR, Kumar R, Ibba M, and Fang FC, PoxA, yjeK, and elongation factor P coordinately modulate virulence and drug resistance in Salmonella enterica. Mol Cell, 2010. 39(2): 209-21.
- Banerjee R, Chen S, Dare K, Gilreath M, Praetorius-Ibba M, Raina M, Reynolds NM, Rogers T, Roy H, Yadavalli SS, and Ibba M, tRNAs: cellular barcodes for amino acids. FEBS Lett, 2010. 584(2): 387-95.
- Zeng Y, Roy H, Preeti BP, Ibba M, and Chen S, Characterization of two seryl-tRNA synthetases in albomycin-producing Streptomyces sp. ATCC 700974. Antimicrob Agents Chemother, 2009. 53(11): 4619-27.
- Roy H and Ibba M, Broad range amino acid specificity of RNA-dependent lipid remodeling by multiple peptide resistance factors. J Biol Chem, 2009. 284(43): 29677-83.
- Roy H, Dare K, and Ibba M, Adaptation of the bacterial membrane to changing environments using aminoacylated phospholipids. Mol Microbiol, 2009. 71(3): 547-50.
- Roy H, Tuning the properties of the bacterial membrane with aminoacylated phosphatidylglycerol. IUBMB life, 2009. 61(10): 940-953.
- Ling J, So BR, Yadavalli SS, Roy H, Shoji S, Fredrick K, Musier-Forsyth K, and Ibba M, Resampling and editing of mischarged tRNA prior to translation elongation. Mol Cell, 2009. 33(5): 654-60.
No information specified.