A warm welcome to all of the new and returning students at UCF COM! MedPACt (Medical Students Providing Across Continents) is UCF COM’s global health and service organization: our mission is to provide robust, engaging programming and diverse service opportunities to create a culture of global responsibility, and to serve those in need within and across our borders.
Our global health digest is designed to connect you to global health and service opportunities within the COM and beyond, and well as provide links to global health articles and resources to keep you connected to current events in global health. Enjoy, and best of luck on your current module! In this issue.
- MedPACt Global Health Conference
- MedPACt Medical Service Clinic in Apopka
- MedPACt Spanish Lunch Hour – we will see you in 2017!
- Dominican Coffee at the COM – Weekly Fundraiser
2. Global Health in the News
If you have any questions or ideas, please feel free to contact the members of the board directly:
- Directors of Service: Priya K. Patel (PriyaKPatel@knights.ucf.edu) & Alexander Diaz (AlexDiaz17@knights.ucf.edu)
- Directors of Conference: Michael Mankbadi (MMankbadi@knights.ucf.edu) & Angela Sterling (ASterling@knights.ucf.edu)
- Director of Education: Angela Sterling (ASterling@knights.ucf.edu)
- Director of Research: Vignesh Vudatha (VV20@knights.ucf.edu)
- Director of Finance: Michelle McGee (McGeeM@knights.ucf.edu)
- Executive Director: Sienmi Du (Sienmi@knights.ucf.edu)
- Faculty Advisor: Dr. Judith Simms-Cendan (Judith.Simms-Cendan@ucf.edu)
MedPACt Global Health Conference
Our annual student-run global health conference will be held on January 21, 2017 at the UCF College of Medicine. This year’s theme is The Impact of Climate Change on the Health of the World’s Most Vulnerable Citizens. This conference is an incredible and unique opportunity to get involved with global health/MedPACt in an organizational capacity throughout the fall, and learn more about climate change in a global health context! The conference is looking for student leaders and volunteers in the following committees:
Please contact the MedPACt Directors of Conference Michael Mankbadi (MMankbadi@knights.ucf.edu) and Angela Sterling (ASterling@knights.ucf.edu) with any questions.
MedPACt Medical Service Clinic in Apopka
This past summer, we focused on global health in our backyard and organized a free health clinic in the local community of Apopka, located just northwest of downtown Orlando. This effort was a collaboration between the UCF COM and the UCF Colleges of Nursing, Physical Therapy, Social Work, and UF Pharmacy, as well as volunteer faculty physicians at UCF and in the Orlando community. Based on the success of these clinics and a community needs assessment, we would like to continue our collaborations and turn this into a sustainable project for the Apopka community! Below in the section “MedPACt Summer Service in Apopka” you can find some quick statistics on our summer clinics.
Please contact the Directors of Service, Priya K. Patel (PriyaKPatel@knights.ucf.edu) and Alexander Diaz (AlexDiaz17@knights.ucf.edu) with any questions.
MedPACt Spanish Lunch Hour – see you all in 2017!
Date/Time: Friday, February 3rd, 2017 12:00 – 1:00PM
Interested in practicing and perfecting your medical Spanish? Join MedPACt for Spanish lunch hour! The curriculum will closely follow P-1, and Spanish speakers at any level of proficiency are encouraged to attend! If you have any questions, please contact the MedPACt Director of Education, Angela Sterling (ASterling@knights.ucf.edu).
MedPACt Dominican Coffee at the COM – Fundraising Opportunity!
Location: COM Cafe Date/Time: Fridays, 7:00AM – 7:55AM
We will be selling coffee throughout the year to fund raise for the Apopka clinic and summer medical service trip to the Dominican Republic! Let’s start fundraising early! We will need a couple volunteers each week to man the station. One to serve/brew the coffee and one to collect the cash/use the Square reader. This is a great opportunity to earn some “MedPACt Points” that are used when selecting leadership roles and DR applicants for next year! Sign up for one or more time slots here.
If you don’t have time to volunteer, you can always contribute by purchasing a cup of original Santo Domingo coffee!
MEDICAL SERVICE IN APOPKA
Here are a few key points from our summer clinics in Apopka!
- Location: Farmworker Association of Florida, Apopka
- Patients Served: 183
- Adult (79%): Male (43%), Female (57%)
- Pediatric (21%): Male (38%), Female (63%)
- Total Volunteers: 120
- Volunteer Demographics, including faculty and students: Medicine (48), Nursing (15), Physical Therapy (16), Pharmacy (20), Social Work (17), Chaplain (1), Photography/Video/Media (3)
- Common Chief Complaints/Current Illnesses: extremity weakness, skin rash, ear pain, gynecological concern, diabetes, headaches, hypertension
- Spanish Fluency: (22) Basic, (6) Intermediate, (16) Advanced/Fluent
- Other languages: Creole
GLOBAL HEALTH IN THE NEWS
Latest Outbreak Info
Press release: Travel guidance related to Miami neighborhood
Zika Virus | CDC – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
UNAIDS: UNAIDS warns that after significant reductions, declines in new HIV infections among adults have stalled and are rising in some regions
NPR: Anthrax Outbreak In Russia Thought To Be Result Of Thawing Permafrost (relevant to our Global Health Conference this year!!)
Los Angeles Times: Health officials to weigh declaring global emergency as yellow fever strikes southwest Africa
PBS: Health officials to begin new global effort to eradicate polio
ONE: Strong labs save lives in the fight against HIV and TB in Africa
Any news or opportunities you would like to feature in the next MedPACt newsletter? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Like us on Facebook.