Dr. Vishwas Vanar has his Doctorate in Medicine from the University of Illinois, College of Medicine. He began his career as a Visiting Clinical Associate at the same university, excelling into the role of Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine at Indiana University of Medicine. Soon after, he served as Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Illinois, College of Medicine at Peoria, where he also was acting Chief Fellow.
Dr. Vanar joined the College of Medicine in 2018 as an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Internal Medicine department. He has over 9 years of clinical and teaching experience and has acted as a role model to other medical students. In 2012 Dr. Vanar was awarded the Professionalism Award from the University of Illinois, and in 2015 he received the Young Investigator Award at Digestive Disease Week.
Dr. Vanar holds several professional memberships, including role of Trainee Member with the American Gastroenterology Association and American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. From 2009 to 2016 he was an Associate Member of the American College of Physicians. He has been invited to speak in present for various national and international forums.
Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Kalva NR, Tokala MR, Dhillon S, Pisoh WN, Walayat S, Vanar V, Puli SR. An Unusual Cause of Acute Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding: Acute Esophageal Necrosis. Case Rep Gastrointest Med 2016; 2016; 6584363 [PMID:27642529 PMCID: PMC5011511 DOI: 10.1155/2016/6584363]
- Ranadive SM, Kappus RM, Cook MD, Yan H, Lane AD, Woods JA, Wilund KR, Iwamoto G, Vanar V, Tandon R, Fernhall B. Effect of Acute Moderate Exercise on Induced Inflammation and Arterial Function in Older Adults. Experimental Physiology 2014 [DOI: 10.1113/ expphysiol.2013.077636]
- Ranadive SM, Cook M, Kappus RM, Yan H, Lane AD, Woods JA, Wilund KW, Iwamoto G, Vanar V, Tandon R, Fernhal B. Effect of Acute Aerobic Exercise on Vaccine Efficacy in Older Adults. Medicine and science in sports and exercise 2013 [PMID:23924918 DOI: 10.1249/ MSS.0b013e3182a75ff2]
- Friedenberg FK, Makipour K, Palit A, Shah S, Vanar V, Richter JE. Populations-based assessment of heartburn in urban Black Americans. Diseases of the esophagus: official journal of the International Society for Diseases of the Esophagus/ ISDE 2012 [PMID: 23237330 PMCID: 3665696 DOI: 10.1111/ dote.12007]
- Friedenberg FK, Tang DM, Vanar V, Mednonca T. Predictive value of body mass index at age 18 on adulthood obesity: results of a prospective survey of an urban population. The American journal of the medical sciences 2011’ 342(5): 371-382 [PMID:21629040 PMCID:PMC3166399 DOI: 10.1097/ MAJ.0b013e318212127c]
- Friedenberg FK, Rai J, Vanar V, Bongiorno C, Nelson DB, Parepally M, Poonia A, Sharma A, Gohel S, Richter JE. Prevalence and risk factors for gastroesophageal reflux disease in an impoverished minority population. Obesity research & clinical practice 2010; 4(4): e261-e269 [PMID:21311721 PMCID: PMC3035191 DOI: 10.1016/j.orcp.2010.06.001]
- Friedenberg FK, Hanlon A, Vanar V, Nehemia D, Mekapati J, Nelson DB, Richter JE. Trends in gastroesophageal reflux disease as measured by the National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey. Dig Dis Sci 2010; 55(7): 1911-1917 [OMID:19830561 DOI: 10.1007/ s10620-009-1004-0]
- Trivedi KN, Trivedi J, Singh K, Vanar V, B.S. Study of television viewing and childhood obesity. Gujarat medical journal 2009; 4(2): 21-23