Dr. Karch earned his Bachelor of Arts (B.A) degree in Biology from the University of Delaware, a Master of Public Health (MPH) degree with special emphasis in Health Promotion and Disease Prevention from the Columbia University School of Public Health and a Master of Science degree (MS) in Health Policy Research from the University of Pennsylvania. He earned his Medical Degree (MD) from the Georgetown University School of Medicine in Washington, D.C.
Dr. Karch completed his pediatric internship and residency training at the Miami Children’s Hospital, where he also served as Chief Pediatric Resident. Following residency, he served in the National Health Service Corp (NHSC) as a general pediatrician in rural northern Arizona at the Canyonlands Community Health Care Center in Page, AZ. After his NHSC service, Dr. Karch completed a fellowship in Pediatric Nutrition within the Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. He also completed a Health Services and Health Policy research fellowship in the Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program at the University of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Karch joined The Nemours Foundation in 2011. He is currently the President of the Medical Staff at Nemours Children’s Hospital and is the Chairman of the Medical Executive Committee. He is board certified by the American Board of Pediatrics and the American Board of Physician Nutrition Specialists. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics. He is a member of the American Society for Nutrition (ASN) and the American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ASPEN). Dr. Karch is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Central Florida (UCF) College of Medicine, where he serves as the Director of the Medical Nutrition Longitudinal Curricular Theme (LCT) and directs the Culinary Medicine 4th Year elective. He is also the Pediatric Clinical Clerkship Site Director for UCF College of Medicine at Nemours Children’s Hospital.
Recent Publications and Presentations:
- Karch R. Protein-Energy Malnutrition
The 5- minute Pediatric Consult; Michael D. Cabana (ed)
7th Ed., 2015, pp738-739
- Dietary Quality and Weight Status in Preschool-Age Children 2013 American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference and Exhibition
Lectures by Invitation:
- American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference and Exhibition Faculty Speaker. Section on Pediatric Obesity. “Culinary Medicine: A Novel Approach to Nutrition Education in Undergraduate Medical Education. The UCF College of Medicine Experience.” (2018)
- Experimental Biology National Conference. “Nutrition Education in Medical School, The University of Central Florida College of Medicine Experience” (2015)
- “Nutritional Basis of Health and Disease” University of Central Florida College of Medicine, Human Body 1 Course (2012-2018)
- “Nutritional Considerations in Cystic Fibrosis” University of Central Florida College of Medicine, Human Body 1 Course (2012-2017)
- American Psychological Association Presidential Program – Transforming Systems to Reduce Child Obesity. “The Delaware Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative to Support Optimal Infant Nutrition”. (2012)