Dr. Zussman began his medical career at the University of Wisconsin, followed by a residency and internship in pediatrics at the University of North Carolina Hospital. He then completed fellowships in Pediatric Cardiology and Pediatric Interventional Cardiology at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital. Dr. Zussman went on to earn his MS in Clinical and Translational Research from the University of Cincinnati. He is board certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Cardiology.
The UCF College of Medicine welcomed Dr. Zussman in May 2016 as Assistant Professor of Pediatrics. He is the Chair of Pediatric Cardiology with Florida Hospital, as well as the Medical Director of Pediatric and Adult Congenital Interventional Cardiology and Clerkship Director of the Pediatric Cardiology Residency Program with Florida Hospital for Children. Dr. Zussman also serves at a Staff Interventional Cardiologist with Pediatric Cardiology Consultants at Florida Hospital Medical Group.
While completeing his MD at the University of Wisconsin Medical School, Dr. Zussman received the Dr. Lynn Eggman Award. This award is presented to a fourth-year medical student who has generated excellence in interpersonal skills and communication with children and their families. He is a member of numerous professional organizations, including the American Academy of Pediatrics and American Medical Association. Dr. Zussman is also an ad hoc journal reviewer for Annals of Thoracic Surgery, Pediatric Cardiology, and Congenital Heart Disease.
Recent Publications & Presentations
- Beekman, RH. Hirsch, R. Zussman, M.. Lloyd, T. “Transcatheter Therapies for Congenital Heart Disease” Topol Textbook of Interventional Cardiology, 6th Philadelphia: Saunders.
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Zussman ME, Hirsch R, Herbert C, Stapleton GE. “Transcatheter intervention for coarctation of the aorta.” Cardiol Young. 2016 Dec;26(8):1563-1567.
- Ghisiawan N, Herbert CE, Zussman ME, Verigan A, Stapleton GE. “The use of a three-dimensional print model of an aortic arch to plan a complex percutaneous intervention in a patient with coarctation of the aorta.” Cardiol Young. 2016 Dec;26(8):1568-1572.
- Zussman, ME. Freire, G. Cupp, SD. Stapleton, GE. “Closure of a secundum atrial septal defect in two infants with chronic lung disease using the Gore Helex Septal Occluder.” Cardiol Young. 2015 Jan 20:1-5.
- Goldstein, BH. Hirsch, R. Zussman, M. Vincent, J. Torres, AJ. Coulson, J. Ringel, R. Beekman, RH. “Percutaneous Balloon-Expandable Covered Stent Implantation for Treatment of Traumatic Injury in Children and Adolescents.” Am J Cardiol. 2012 Nov 15;110(10):1541-5.
- Zussman, M. Bagby, M. Benson, DW. Gupta, R. Hirsch, R. “Pulmonary Vascular Resistance in Repaired Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia vs. Age Matched Controls.” Pediatric Research. 2012 Jun; 71(6):697-700 .
- Hirsch, R. Bagby, M. Zussman, M. “Fenestrated Atrial Septal Defect Closure in a Child with Idiopathic Pulmonary Hypertension and Exercise Desaturation.” Congenital Heart Disease. 2011; 6:162-166.
- Banerjee, B. Kanitpong, K. Fink, JN. Zussman, M. Sussman, GL., Kelly, KJ., Kurup, ” Unique and Shared IgE Epitopes of Hev b1 and Hev b 3 in latex allergy” Molecular Immunology. 2000; 37(12-13); 789-98.
Abstracts and Presentations
- Goldstein, BH. Hirsch, R. Zussman, M. et al. “Percutaneous Balloon-Expandable Covered Stent Implantation for Treatment of Traumatic Aortic Injury in Children and Adolescents.” Presented at the Pediatric and Adult Interventional Cardiac Symposium, January 2013.
- Zussman, M. Beekman, R. Hirsch, R. Goldstein, B. “Transcatheter Treatment of Pulmonary Artery Stenosis in Children with Alagille Syndrome” Presented at Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions Scientific Sessions May, 2012.
- Zussman, M. Benson, DW. Gupta, R. Bagby, M. Hirsch, R. “The Effect of Increased Cardiac Output on Pulmonary Vascular Resistance in Infants and Toddlers with Repaired Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia” Presented at Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting, April, 2012.
- Zussman, M. Beekman, R. Hirsch, R. “Covered Stent Use in the Pediatric. Population: Novel Treatment for Complex Peripheral Vascular Lesions.” Presented at the Pediatric and Adult Interventional Cardiac Symposium, July 2011.
Education & Specialties
- B.S., Microbiology, Sociology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
- M.D., University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, WI
- Residency, Pediatrics, University of North Carolina Hospital, Chapel Hill, NC
- Internship, Pediatrics, University of North Carolina Hospital, Chapel Hill, NC
- Fellowship, Pediatric Cardiology, Cincinnati Childrenâs Hospital, Cincinnati, OH
- M.S., Clinical and Translational Research, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, The University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
- Fellowship, Pediatric Interventional Cardiology, Cincinnati Childrenâs Hospital, Cincinnati, OH
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Closure of Atrial Septal Defects with the AMPLATZERÂ® Septal Occluder (ASO)
- Pulmonary hypertension outcomes in the congenital diaphragmatic hernia population
- Improvement in pediatric sports physical exams
No recent media. Please check back soon.