Dr. Magda Sanchez-Velez is certified in both Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine. She is Director of the Cardiology Rotation Internal Medicine Residency Program and Assistant Professor of Medicine with the UCF College of Medicine. Dr. Sanchez-Velez is also a Staff Cardiologist with the Orlando VA Medical Center. She provides cardiovascular evaluations and recommendations to veterans, performs transesophageal echocardiograms, and reads non-invasive studies such as stress tests, 24-hour monitoring, and EKGs.
Dr. Sanchez-Velez has served as a Cardiology Consultant with numerous medical centers and hospitals in Florida. She is a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology and a member of both the American College of Cardiology, Women in Cardiology Section and Florida Chapter. Dr. Sanchez-Velez is the Chair of the CPR Committee with the Orlando VA Medical Center and a Member of the Clinical Competency Committee with the UCF College of Medicine. She received the winning award for her Cardiovascular Case Report Presentation by the Southern Society for Clinical Investigation in 2005 and the Academic Excellence Award for Highest in Training in 2002. Dr. Sanchez-Velez is fluent in English and Spanish.
In partnership with the VA, UCF College of Medicine has identified individuals that provide a significant contribution to the college and medical students. Dr. Sanchez-Velez joined the college in August of 2016 as part of this partnership. VA faculty members are invited to participate in teaching assignments, curriculum and admissions committees, student affairs and research mentorship. Their contributions make a significant impact for both the college and students.
- Sanchez ME, Cox RA, Quintana C, Rodríguez JM, Pérez CM. Survey of Characteristics, Treatments and Outcome of Patients with ST Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction in Puerto Rico. PR Health Sci J 2006;25:219-224.
- Sanchez ME, García-Palmieri MR, Quintana CS, Kareh J. Heart Failure in a Ruptured Sinus of Valsalva Aneurysm. Am J Med Sci 2006; 331(2):100-102.
- Sanchez ME, García-Palmieri MR, Quintana CS, Kareh JJ. Heart Failure in a Young Man: A Case of Sinus of Valsalva Aneurysm Rupture. J Investig Med 2005; 53:S257 (Abs 18).
- Medina A, Sanchez ME. Essentials in the Diagnosis and Management in Peripheral Arterial Disease. PR Health Sci J 2004; 23:313-317.
- Sanchez ME, Ortega-Gil J. Chronic Heart Failure: A Review for the Primary Physician. Bol Asoc Med P Rico 2003; 95 (5): 58-70.
Interviews and Presentations
- Importance of Intravascular Ultrasound In Diagnosing Coronary Intramural Hematoma Abdelsalam A., Gonzalez L., Sanchez- Velez, M., Javaid A. Poster Presentation at the American Medical Association National Symposium. November 13, 2015. Awarded with First Place at Atlanta, Georgia.
- Winning the Battle Against Women’s Heart Disease Interview for the Ladies Home Journal, February 2006.
- Heart Failure in a Young Man: A Case of Sinus of Valsalva Aneurysm Rupture Case Reports in Cardiovascular Medicine, Southern Society for Clinical Investigation, February 2005 New Orleans, LA.
- Huge Atrial Myxoma: An Unusual Cause of Atrial Fibrillation, ACP Puerto Rico Chapter, October 2004, San Juan, PR.
- Successful treatment in a patient with Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura and Intraalveolar Hemorrhage ACP Puerto Rico Chapter, February 2000, San Juan, PR.