Dr. Jacquelyn Nyenhuis is a passionate clinical instructor and nutritional educator. She began her studies at Iowa State University, where she received a BS in Food Science, followed with an MS in Nutrition from Louisiana State University. Dr. Nyenhuis continued on to earn a PhD in Educational Foundations and Research from the University of North Dakota. Her career spans many years as a direct patient care nutrition educator, clinical instructor at a major university, and as an Associate Professor of nutrition and food science.
In addition to her varied experience, Dr. Nyenhuis has held numerous community outreach and nutrition education roles. She was a monthly magazine columnist on nutrition for the Saturday Evening Post, a syndicated newspaper nutrition columnist for Columbia Features, and prepared and delivered TV Channel 6 News Weekly Health Talk. Dr. Nyenhuis is an editorial board member for the Journal of Nutrition and Health Behavior and a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
The UCF College of Medicine welcomed Dr. Nyenhuis in February 2018. She is an expert in Culinary Medicine and is passionate about teaching culinary skills to the UCF College of Medicine students, as well as the community. She provides a hands-on approach, in transforming the sciences of nutritional medicine into something that doctors can share with their patients, through food preparation and food demonstrations. Dr. Nyenhuis believes that food can be a prescription for better health, cooking skills matter for wellbeing, and relationships made around a table can be just as important as the vitamins and minerals.
Publications & Presentations
Peer Reviewed Textbook Co-Author
- Cataldo, C. Nyenhuis, J., & Whitney, E. Nutrition and Diet Therapy, 2nd West Publishing Co. St. Paul, MN. 704 pages. 1989.
Other Peer Reviewed Publications & Presentations
- Nyenhuis, J. & Weaver Hightower, M. (October 2018). Nutrition Public Policy Preferences Influenced by Values and Beliefs, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual 2018 Conference, Washington DC.
- Nyenhuis, J. (July 2018). Culinary Nutrition as a Nutrition Education Method for Increasing Acceptance of Evidence-Based Nutrition Science in the General Population, Florida Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual 2018 Conference, Orlando FL.
- Nyenhuis, J. Political ideology, beliefs and values as a framework for analysis of school nutrition preferences. The University of North Dakota. ProQuest Dissertations Publishing. 10248613. 2016.
- Nyenhuis, J., & Drelich, J. Essential micronutrient biofortification of sprouts grown on mineral fortified fiber mats. International Journal of Biological, Biomolecular, Agricultural, Food and Biotechnological Engineering 9, 9. 2015.
- Nyenhuis, J., & Drelich, J. Essential micro-nutrient bio fortification of sprouts grown on mineral-fortified fiber mats. Presentation at International Conference on Human Nutrition and Food Science. Rome, Italy. September 2015.
- Nyenhuis, J. Effectiveness of individualized medical nutrition therapy may be aided by concept mapping that represents perceptions of different diet options. Renal Nutrition Forum: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Practice Group, 33(2). 2014.
- Nyenhuis, J., & Drelich, J. Analyzing uptake of micro-nutrients by micro-greens from novel mineral-fortified fiber mats: case of copper. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 114(9), A64. 2014.
- Nyenhuis, J. Concept mapping aids in individualizing medical nutrition therapy by representing perceptions of participants. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 113(9), A34-A34. 2013.
- Aherns, C. & Nyenhuis, J. Effects of exercise-related vs. entertainment-related conversation on post-workout food consumption. Presented as St. Catherine University Honor Students Symposium. St. Paul, MN. 2012.
- Nyenhuis, J. & Cokely, E.T. Diet and Exercise Rule Complexity. Poster Presentation at Annual Psychological Association. Seattle, WA. 2011.
- Nyenhuis, J., Cokely, E.T., & Raisbeck, L.D. Costs and Benefits of Simplifying Diet and Exercise Rule Complexity. Poster presented for the 83rd annual meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association. Chicago, IL. May 2011.
- Cataldo, C., Nyenhuis, J., and Whitney, E. Understanding Nutrition, 2nd West Publishing Co. St. Paul, MN. 704. 1989.