Dr. Ettore Crimi is an anesthesiologist in Ocala, FL and is affiliated with Ocala Regional Medical Center. He received his medical degree from the University of Catania Faculty of Medicine in Italy and successfully completed several fellowships at various institutions. Dr. Crimi has been in practice more than 21 years and speaks multiple languages, including Italian. He specializes in cardiothoracic anesthesiology and critical care medicine. He currently serves as the Director of Cardiovascular Anesthesiology at Ocala Regional Medical Center as part of the UCF/HCA Consortium. He still works as a Staff Anesthesiologist and a CVICU Attending Physician at Ocala Regional.
Dr. Crimi joined the UCF College of Medicine in 2020 as a Professor of Anesthesiology. He will be working closely with UCF medical students and residents to train the next generation of Anesthesiologists. In addition to his educator and leadership duties, Dr. Crimi serves on several local and national committees. He sits on the ICU, ECMO, ERAS, and Cardiac Center Quality Improvement Committees at Ocala Regional Medical Center, as well as the national Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists Research Committee and American Board of Anesthesiology Critical Care Medicine Board Exam as an Author. Dr. Crimi also serves as an Ad hoc reviewer for several editorials and other professional societies. Dr. Crimi has been invited to give several local, regional, and national presentations and has more than 30 publications under his belt. His knowledge and skills are invaluable to COM learners and the community.
Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications:
- Crimi E, Hernandez-Barajas D, Seller A, Ashton J, Martin M, Vasilopoulos T, Gravenstein N. The Effect of Modified Ultrafiltration on Serum Vancomycin Levels During Cardiopulmonary Bypass in Cardiac Surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2018 Jun 19. pii: S1053-0770(18)30391-4.
- Agunbiade S, Crimi E. Perioperative ultrasound: time to move forward! Minerva Anestesiol. 2018 Jan;84(1):16-17
- De Pascale MR, Bruzzese G, Crimi E, Grimaldi V, Liguori A, Brongo S, Barbieri M, Picascia A, Schiano C, Sommese L, Ferrara N, Paolisso G, Napoli C. Severe Type 2 Diabetes Induces Reversible Modifications of Endothelial Progenitor Cells Which are Ameliorate by Glycemic Control. Int J Stem Cells. 2016;9:137-44.
- Tokuda K, Kida K, Marutani E, Crimi E, Bougaki M, Khatri A, Kimura H, Ichinose F. Inhaled hydrogen sulfide prevents endotoxin-induced systemic inflammation and improves survival by altering sulfide metabolism in mice. Antioxid Redox Signal 2012;17:11-21.
- Derwall M, Francis RC, Kida K, Bougaki M, Crimi E, Adrie C, Zapol WM, Ichinose F. Administration of hydrogen sulfide via extracorporeal membrane lung ventilation in sheep with partial cardiopulmonary bypass perfusion: a proof of concept study on metabolic and vasomotor effects. Crit Care 2011;15: R51.
- Fiorito C, Rienzo M, Crimi E, Rossiello R, Balestrieri ML, Casamassimi A, Muto F, Grimaldi V, Giovane A, Farzati B, Mancini FP, Napoli C. Antioxidants increase number of progenitor endothelial cells through multiple gene expression pathways. Free Radic Res 2008;42:754-762.
- Napoli C, Bruzzese G, Ignarro LJ, Crimi E, de Nigris F, Williams-Ignarro S, Libardi S, Sommese L, Fiorito C, Mancini FP, Cacciatore F, Liguori A. Long-term treatment with sulfhydryl angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition reduces carotid intima-media thickening and improves the nitric oxide/oxidative stress pathways in newly diagnosed patients with mild to moderate primary hypertension. Am Heart J 2008;156:1154.e1-8.
- de Nigris F, Mancini FP, Balestrieri ML, Byrns R, Fiorito C, Williams-Ignarro S, Palagiano A, Crimi E, Ignarro LJ, Napoli C. Therapeutic dose of nebivolol, a nitric oxide-releasing beta-blocker, reduces atherosclerosis in cholesterol-fed rabbits. Nitric Oxide 2008;19:57-63.
- dos Santos CC, Okutani D, Hu P, Han B, Crimi E, He X, Keshavjee S, Greenwood C, Slutsky AS, Zhang H, Liu M. Differential gene profiling in acute lung injury identifies injury-specific gene expression. Critical Care Medicine 2008;3:855-865.
- Napoli C, William-Ignarro S, Byrns R, Balestrieri ML, Crimi E, Farzati B, Mancini FP, de Nigris F, Matarazzo A, D’Amora M, Abbondanza C, Fiorito C, Giovane A, Florio A, Varricchio E, Palagiano A, Minucci PB, Tecce MF, Giordano A, Pavan A, Ignarro LJ. Therapeutic targeting of the stem cell niche in experimental hindlimb ischemia. Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med 2008;5:571-579.
Education & Specialties
- MD, Medicina e Chirurgia, University of Catania, Italy
- Residency Fellow, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, St. Michael’s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
- Fellowship, Cardio-Thoracic Anesthesia, Stanford Medical Center, Stanford University, Stanford, California
- Fellowship, Critical Care Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- Internal Medicine
- Critical and Intensive Care
No recent media. Please check back soon.