Dr. Edward Casey is the Chief of Nephrology and the Transplant Clinic Director at the Orlando VA Medical Center. He is currently holds the rank of Associate Professor of Medicine at the UCF College of Medicine. Previously, was a consultant in Nephrology, Hypertension, Kidney Transplant, and an Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine. Dr. Casey is board certified in Internal Medicine and Nephrology and holds a certificate in Clinical Hypertension.
Dr. Casey has received numerous awards and honors throughout his medical career. Dr. Casey has given multiple invited presentations in all areas of kidney disease and transplantation. He was honored numerous years with the Mayo Medical School Excellence in Teaching award, where he was recognized as an outstanding educator by Mayo Clinic Internal Medicine Residency Program and the Mayo Clinic Medical students. He was a frequent expert consultant at the Morbidity and Mortality Conference. Dr. Casey has also served as a mentor to residents and fellows in Internal Medicine, Hospital Medicine, Critical Care, and Nephrology.
In partnership with the VA, UCF College of Medicine has identified individuals that provide a significant contribution to the college and medical students. Dr. Casey joined the college in April of 2016 as part of this partnership. VA faculty members are invited to participate in teaching assignments, curriculum and admissions committees, student affairs and research mentorship. Their contributions make a significant impact for both the college and students.
- Casey ET, Smyrk TC, Burgart LJ, Stegall MD, Larson TS. Outcome of untreated Grade II-minimal rejection on solitary pancreas allograft biopsies. Transplantation 2005;79: 1717-1722
- Murad H, Elamin M, Sidawy A, Malaga G, Rizvi A, Flynn D, Casey ET, Montori V. Timing of referral for vascular access placement: A systematic review. Journal of Vascular Surgery 2008 Nov;48(S):31-33
- Murad H, Elamin M, Sidawy A, Malaga G, Rizvi A, Flynn D, Casey ET, Montori V. Autogenous versus prosthetic vascular access for hemodialysis: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Vascular Surgery 2008 Nov;48(S):34-47
- Casey ET, Murad H, Rizvi A, Montori V. Surveillance of arteriovenous hemodialysis access: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Vascular Surgery 2008 Nov;48(S):48-54
- Casey ET, Gupta B, Montori V, Murad H. The dose of continuous renal replacement therapy for acute renal failure: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Renal Failure June 2010; 32: 551-561
- Engelberger L, Suri R, Casey ET, Daly R, Dearani J, Schaff H. In depth comparison of RIFLE and AKIN criteria for acute kidney injury in patients undergoing cardiac surgery. Critical Care 2011; 15:R16
- Casey ET, Murad H, Motori V, Glovicski P, Meissner M. Treatment of acute iliofemoral deep vein thrombosis. Journal of Vascular Surgery; EPUB 2012
- Cartin-Ceba R, Kor D, Maldonado F, Gajic O, Casey ET. Risk factors for development of acute kidney injury in critically ill patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Critical Care Research and Practice; Volume 2012, November 2012
- Li H, Stegall MD, Dean PG, Casey ET, Reddy KS, Khamash HA, Heilman RL, Mai ML, Taner CB, Kosberg CL, Bakken LL, Wozniak EJ, Giles KL, Veal LA, Gandhi MJ, Cosio FG, Prieto M. Assessing the Efficacy of Kidney Paired Donation-Performance of an Integrated Three-Site Program. Transplantation, 2014; 98(3) 300-305
- Ratelle JT, Palacios CRF, Selby MG, Palacios MF, Fidler ME, Casey ET. Seronegative anti-GBM disease with coexistent ANCA positivity. Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis. 2014; 72(4):301-4.
- Alexander MP, Nasr SH, Kurtin PJ, Casey ET, Hernandez LP, Fidler ME, Sethi S, Cornell LD. Renal Extramedullary hematopoiesis: interstitial and glomerular pathology. Modern Pathology 2015 Dec:28(12): 1574-83
- Hickson LT, Negrotto S, Onuigbo M, Scott C, Rule A, Norby S, Albright R, Casey ET, Dillon J, Pellikka P, Pislaru S, Best P, Villarraga H, Lin G, Williams A, Nkomo V. Echocardiography Criteria for Structural Heart Disease: Prevalence and Prognosis in Patients with End-Stage Renal Disease Initiating Hemodialysis. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 67, No. 10; Mar 2016:1173-82
- Zhu F, Kaysen G, Casey ET, Levin NW. Estimation of extracellular fluid volume in hemodialysis patients using the sum of segmental bioimpedance analysis. J Am Soc Artif Intern Org. 2002; 48:180
- Casey ET, Khamash H, Hartman R, Cosio F, Larson T, Stegall M, Griffin M. Functional and Histologic Correlates of Arcuate Artery Resistive Indices in Kidney Transplants at the Time of Surveillance Biopsy. Presented at: American Transplant Congress, Seattle, WA, May 2005
- Swaminathan S, Swaminathan L, Casey ET, Albright RJ, Haugen EL. Effect of Activated Protein C Therapy on Outcome of Renal Function in Severe Sepsis. Presented at: National Kidney Foundation Clinical Meeting, Washington, DC, May 2005
- Casey ET, Khamash H, Hartman R, Cosio F, Larson T, Stegall M, Griffin M. Functional and Histologic Correlates of Arcuate Artery Resistive Indices in Kidney Transplants at the Time of Surveillance Biopsy. Presented at: American Society of Nephrology, Philadelphia, PA, November 2005
- Huddleston J, Casey ET, Gullerud R, Phy M, Veronique R. Incidence of Myocardial Infarction following Hip Fracture Repair: A Population Based Study. Presented at Society of Hospital Medicine, San Diego, CA, April 2008
- El-Zoghby Z, Regner K, Keegan M, Casey ET, Factious Hyperphosphatemia Due to Sample contamination with Heparin in an arterial line. Presented at 2008 National Kidney Foundation, Dallas, Tx, April 2008
- Udeozo O, Selby M, Cartin- Ceba R, Kashani K, Haugen E, Gajic O, Casey ET Early, but not late fluid resuscitation was associated with improved outcome in septic shock. Presented at 2009 International Conference on Continuous Renal Replacement Therapies, San Diego, Ca, March 2009 Abstract awarded overall second place
- Casey ET, Murad MH, Meissner M, Montori VM, Gloviczki P, Treatment of Acute Iliofemoral Deep Vein Thrombosis: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis, Presented at 2009 Vascular Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado
- Syed F, Jong H, Keddis M, Casey ET. A Few Too Many, A Case of Beer Potomania. American College of Physicians Regional Meeting, Minneapolis MN 2012
- Cryoglobulin Associated Glomerulonephritis without Cryoglobulinemia: Successful outcome after Plasma Exchange and Chemotherapy. Gauri Bhutani, Mira Keddis, Casey ET, Ziad El-Zoghby, LaTonya Hickson, John Lieske, Nelson Leung. National Kidney Foundation, Orlando Florida, April 2013
- Casey ET, Gandhi M, Dean P, Cosio. Class I HLA Mismatches Increase Risk of Acute Rejection, Graft Loss and Formation of De Novo Class II Alloantibody. Presented at American Transplant Congress, Seattle, WA 2013
- H Li, M D Stegall, KS Reddy, Casey ET, P G Dean, R Heilman, F Cosio, M Prieto. The Limits of Paired Donation—Who Doesn’t Get Transplanted. Presented at American Transplant Congress, Seattle, WA 2013
- Casey ET, Cosio F, Amer H, Li H, Dean P, Prieto M, Stegall M. Donor Evaluation Efficiency Issues in Kidney Paired Donation: Increased Evaluations, Turn Downs, Time to Donation and Cost. Presented at American Transplant Congress, Seattle, WA 2013
- Hickson LT, Rule A, Norby S, Albright R, McCarthy JT, Casey ET, Pislaru S, Villarraga H, Williams A, Nkomo V. Structural Heart Disease and Outcomes in Incident Hemodialysis Patients: Correlation with Proposed Echocardiographic Criteria by the Acute Dialysis Quality Initiative (ADQI) Workgroup. American Society of Nephrology, Philadelphia, 2014
- Alturkmani B, Moa M, Casey ET. A Rare Case of Tumor Lysis Syndrome in a Patient with Angiosarcoma. Presented at the American Society of Nephrology, San Diego, CA Nov. 2015