Diane Davis Davey is Professor of Pathology, Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education, and a part-time pathologist at the Orlando Veterans Affairs Medical Center with specialty expertise in cytopathology and hematopathology. She was the Founding Designated Institutional Official (DIO) for the UCF/HCA Healthcare GME Consortium and is involved with efforts to build new residency programs in Florida. Dr. Davey is a Past-President of the College of Medicine Faculty Council, served as Interim Chair of the Clinical Sciences Department in 2015-16, and is a member of COM Enterprise. Dr. Davey teaches in several medical student modules including the S1 Hematology/Oncology module.
Prior to coming to Florida in late 2007, Dr. Davey was Vice Chair for Education in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the Univ. of Kentucky. She also directed the cytopathology fellowship program and the cytology and bone marrow laboratories at the University of Kentucky. Diane received her M.D. at Washington University and did her pathology residency at Indiana University and the University of Iowa. She completed a hematopathology fellowship at the University of Iowa. She is board-certified in anatomic and clinical pathology, hematology and cytopathology by the American Board of Pathology.
Diane is Chair of the American Society of Cytopathology (ASC) Awards Committee, a member of the ASC Foundation Board and Past-President’s Advisory Committee, and an ASC representative to the Cytopathology Education and Technology Consortium. She is a board member for the Florida Society of Pathologists and delegate to the College of American Pathologists House of Delegates. She is a Past-President and Trustee of the American Board of Pathology, the certifying board for pathologists, and a past member of the Pathology Residency Review Committee for the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. She was President of the American Society of Cytopathology in 2001-2 and served as a moderator for the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Bethesda 2001 Workshop for Cervical Cytology terminology. She has served on several committees of the American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology, and has been a society representative for guidelines for cervical cancer screening and management.
She has been an advisor for both the FDA and the NCI,and serves on editorial boards for three journals. Her research efforts have focused on cervical cytology and quality improvement efforts in laboratories, including uniform reporting terminology, new cytology laboratory technologies, laboratory and patient management guidelines, and also on educational and competency assessment.
- Nayar R, Chhieng DC, Crothers B, Darragh TM, Davey DD, Eisenhut C, Goulart R, Huang EC, Tabbara SO. Moving forward—the 2019 ASCCP Risk-Based Management Consensus Guidelines for Abnormal Cervical Cancer Screening Tests and Cancer Precursors and beyond: implications and suggestions for laboratories. J Am Soc. Cytopathol.2020 (Jul-Aug);9:291-303. PMID: 32565297 doi: 10.1016/j.jasc.2020.05.002. Epub 2020 May 23.
- St. Onge JE, Davey D, Levine R, Littles A. Speaking with one voice in Florida: A GME statewide collaboration. J Grad Med Educ 2020;12:135-7 (April). PMID: 32322341 DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-19-00665.1
- Davey DD. Impact of laboratory work-up of lymphoma guidelines on cytopathology practices. J Am Soc Cytopathol 2021(in press).
- Huh WK, Ault K, Chelmow D, Davey DD, Goulart RA, et al. Use of primary high risk papillomavirus testing for cervical cancer screening: interim clinical guidance. Gynecol Oncol 2015; 136:178-182 (Feb) (PMID 25579107). Published simultaneously in: J Lower Genit Tract Dis 2015;19:91-96 (Apr) (PMID:25574659), Obstet Gynecol 2015;125:330-337 (Feb) (PMID: 25569009)
- Birdsong G, Davey DD. “Specimen Adequacy”. In: Edited by Nayar R and Wilbur DC. The Bethesda System for Reporting Cervical Cytology. Definitions, Criteria, and Explanatory Notes. Third Edition. Springer International Publishing, Switzerland, 2015.
- Crothers BA, Ghofrani M, Zhao C, Dodd LG, Goodrich K, Husain M, Kurtycz DFI, Russell DK, Shen RZ, Souers RJ, Staats PN, Tabatabai ZL, Witt BL, Davey DD. Low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion or high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion? Concordance between the interpretation of low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion and high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion in Papanicolaou tests: results from the College of American Pathologists Interlaboratory PAP Education Program. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2019;143:81-85 (Jan.) PMID: 30133317.
- Staats PN, Souers RJ, Nunez AL, Li A, Kurtycz DFI, Goodrich K, Witt BL, Davey DD, Booth CN. The differential diagnosis of reparative changes and malignancy: Performance in the College of American Pathologists PAP Education and Proficiency Testing Programs. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2020 (early online publication Nov. 2019). PMID: 31755780.
- Mais DD, Crothers BA, Davey DD, Natale, KE, Nayar R, Souers RJ, Blond BJ, Hackman S, Tworek JA. Trends in thyroid fine-needle aspiration cytology practices: results from a College of American Pathologists 2016 practice survey. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2019;143:1364-72. PMID: 31100017.
- Davey DD, Souers RJ, Goodrich K, Mody DR, Tabbara SO, Booth CN. Bethesda 2014 implementation and human papillomavirus primary screening: practices of laboratories participating in the College of American Pathologists PAP Education Program. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2019;143:1196-1202. PMID: 31021657.
- Davey DD. Bridging the Gap: New ACGME common program requirements will affect pathology and cytopathology training. Cancer (Cancer Cytopathol) 2019:127:489-490. PMID: 30951257
- 1999-2000 Women of Achievement of the A.B. Chandler Medical Center
- 2001 William L. Kuehn, Ph.D., Outstanding Communicator Award, College of American Pathologists
- 2002 Elected as Trustee, American Board of Pathology
- 2005-2015 Named to Best Doctors of America
- 2007 University of Iowa Department of Pathology Distinguished Achievement Award
- 2007 Papanicolaou Award, American Society of Cytopathology
- 2008 American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology Award of Merit
- 2011 Elected to President, American Board of Pathology
- 2011 Lifetime Achievement Award, College of American Pathologists
- 2016 Elected Life Trustee, American Board of Pathology