Diane Davis Davey is Professor of Pathology, Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education, and a part-time pathologist at the Orlando Veterans Affairs Medical Center with specialty expertise in cytopathology and hematopathology. She was the Founding Designated Institutional Official (DIO) for the UCF/HCA Healthcare GME Consortium and is involved with efforts to build new residency programs in Florida. Dr. Davey is a Past-President of the College of Medicine Faculty Council, served as Interim Chair of the Clinical Sciences Department in 2015-16, and is a member of COM Enterprise. Dr. Davey teaches in several medical student modules including the S1 Hematology/Oncology module.
Prior to coming to Florida in late 2007, Dr. Davey was Vice Chair for Education in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the Univ. of Kentucky. She also directed the cytopathology fellowship program and the cytology and bone marrow laboratories at the University of Kentucky. Diane received her M.D. at Washington University and did her pathology residency at Indiana University and the University of Iowa. She completed a hematopathology fellowship at the University of Iowa. She is board-certified in anatomic and clinical pathology, hematology and cytopathology by the American Board of Pathology.
Diane is a member of the American Society of Cytopathology (ASC) Foundation Board and Past-President’s Advisory Committee, and an ASC representative to the Cytopathology Education and Technology Consortium. She is a board member for the Florida Society of Pathologists, a member of the College of American Pathologists (CAP) Cytopathology Committee, and a delegate to the CAP House of Delegates. She is a Past-President and Trustee of the American Board of Pathology, the certifying board for pathologists, and a past member of the Pathology Residency Review Committee for the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. She was President of the American Society of Cytopathology in 2001-2 and served as a moderator for the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Bethesda 2001 Workshop for Cervical Cytology terminology. She has been a society representative for guidelines for cervical cancer screening and management.
She has been an advisor for both the FDA and the NCI,and serves on editorial boards for three journals. Her research efforts have focused on cervical cytology and quality improvement efforts in laboratories, including uniform reporting terminology, new cytology laboratory technologies, laboratory and patient management guidelines, and also on educational and competency assessment.
- Nguyen LN, Crothers BA, Davey DD, Natale KR, Nunez AL, Harcom T, Mody DR, Barkan GA, Sourers FJ, Tabatabao, Booth CN. Current state of cytologic-histologic correlation implementation for North American and international laboratories. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2022 (early online publication). https://doi:10.5858/arpa.2021-0223-CP
- Staats PA, Davey DD, Witt BL, Ghofrani M, Zhao C, Dodd LG, Goodrich K, Husain M, Kurtycz DFI, Russell DK, Shen RZ, Tabatabai L, Crothers BA. Performance of specific morphologic features in distinguishing low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (LSIL) from high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (HSIL) in borderline cases: a College of American Pathologists Cytopathology Committee multi-observer study. J Am Soc Cytopathol 2022;11:102-113. PMID: 34903496. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jasc.2021.11.001
- Goyal A, Davey DD, Souers RJ, Tabbara SO, Goodrich K, Booth CN. Rescreening practices of negative Papanicolaou tests with positive Human Papillomavirus test result: survey results of laboratories participating in the College of American Pathologists Gynecologic Cytology (PAP Education) Program. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2022;146:78-83 (Jan). PMID: 33929528. https://doi.org/10.5858/arpa.2020-0618-CP.
- Nayar R, Chhieng DC, Crothers B, Darragh TM, Davey DD, Eisenhut C, Goulart R, Huang EC, Tabbara SO. Moving forward—the 2019 ASCCP Risk-Based Management Consensus Guidelines for Abnormal Cervical Cancer Screening Tests and Cancer Precursors and beyond: implications and suggestions for laboratories. J Am Soc Cytopathol 2020;9:291-303. PMID: 32565297. doi: 10.1016/j.jasc.2020.05.002.
- St. Onge JE, Davey D, Levine R, Littles A. Speaking with one voice in Florida: A GME statewide collaboration. J Grad Med Educ 2020;12:135-7. PMID: 32322341 http://dx.doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-19-00665.1
- Staats PN, Souers RJ, Nunez AL, Li A, Kurtycz DFI, Goodrich K, Witt BL, Davey DD, Booth CN. The differential diagnosis of reparative changes and malignancy: Performance in the College of American Pathologists PAP Education and Proficiency Testing Programs. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2020 (early online publication Nov. 2019). PMID: 31755780. doi: 10.5858/arpa.2019-0298-CP
- Davey DD. American Cancer Society signals transition in cervical cancer screening from cytology to HPV tests. Cancer Cytopathology 2021;129:259-261. PMID: 33826791 (featured on cover). doi: 10.1002/cncy.22429
- Davey DD. Impact of laboratory work-up of lymphoma guidelines on cytopathology practices. J Am Soc Cytopathol 2021;10;338-340 (May-June). PMID: 33384266. doi: 10.1016/j.jasc.2020.12.001.
- 1999-2000 Women of Achievement of the A.B. Chandler Medical Center
- 2001 William L. Kuehn, Ph.D., Outstanding Communicator Award, College of American Pathologists
- 2002 Elected as Trustee, American Board of Pathology
- 2005-2015 Named to Best Doctors of America
- 2007 University of Iowa Department of Pathology Distinguished Achievement Award
- 2007 Papanicolaou Award, American Society of Cytopathology
- 2008 American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology Award of Merit
- 2011 Elected to President, American Board of Pathology
- 2011 Lifetime Achievement Award, College of American Pathologists
- 2016 Elected Life Trustee, American Board of Pathology
Education & Specialties
- B.S. Cornell University
- B.S. Medicine, University of South Dakota
- M.D. Washington University, St. Louis
- Residency in Pathology Indiana University Medical Center
- Residency in Pathology University of Iowa
- Fellowship in Hematopathology, University of Iowa
- Pathology (Cytopathology and Hematopathology)
- Cervical cytology
- Quality improvement efforts in cytology
- New cytology laboratory technologies and patient management guidelines
- Graduate medical education
In The News
CAP TODAY | Primary HPV screen only? Experts warn of risks
AAMC: Residents Are Sleep Deprived. So What’s New?
WFTV: UCF med school grads may help state’s doctor shortage