Dr. Topping joined the College in 2013 and serves as a primary faculty member on the Structure and Function Module. He is the course director for the Psycho-social Issues in Healthcare Module and is a mentor to medical students in the Focused Inquiry and Research Experience. He contributes to several other modules and courses in the MD program curriculum, and serves as the Director of the Willed Body Program. He is an elected member of the UCF Faculty Senate, the UCF COM Faculty Council, and several other committee positions at the university and college level. He is the recipient of the UCF College of Medicine’s 2015 Innovative Teaching Award, and was selected for the 2017-2018 UCF COM Dean’s Leadership Enhancement Program, focusing on integrating the utilization of the cadaver laboratory into the mission of the newly created Academic Health Science Center. He was also an awardee of the UCF Teaching Incentive Program in 2018.
He is a graduate of the University of Florida’s College of Medicine in Gainesville, Florida. He continued on to complete a surgical internship and a residency in Family Medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. After completing residency, Dr. Topping pursued fellowship training in Obstetrics at the Spartanburg Regional Medical Center’s Family Residency Program and practiced in rural Washington. He is currently a board-certified family practitioner and has been a full-time medical educator since 2008.
Dr. Topping led an outstanding career in Medical Education at the University of Washington’s School of Medicine’s WWAMI program at the Pullman and Spokane, Washington campuses as evidenced by his Excellence in Teaching Award (2009). As Human Anatomy Laboratory Manager at Washington State University, he coordinated and led gross anatomy instruction for the undergraduate and medical student curriculum. He also served local high schools and medical professional training programs through numerous cadaver laboratory outreach workshops.
Dr. Topping’s current projects in medical education research include the implementation and evaluation of clinically-oriented anatomy instruction, the interface of technology and anatomy in education. He serves as the co-chair of the gross anatomy courses in collaboration with the College of Engineering and Computer Sciences for the UCF Masters of Biomedical Engineering program. He is the author of the eBook “Russian for Healthcare Providers” and has produced over 25 hours of high definition anatomical prosection videos.
Dr. Topping is a member of the American Association of Anatomists, American Association of Clinical Anatomists and the Society for Simulation in Healthcare, Society for Simulation in Healthcare and the American Philosophical Association. Dr. Topping has contributed to the field of medical education and family medicine through his publications and presentations.
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- Pasarica M, Topping DB. “Innovative Education of Patient Care Competencies in Lifestyle Medicine: a Collaborative Learning Activity for the Prevention of Cardiovascular Events.” Medical Science Educator. 2017 Dec; 27(4): 577-578.
- Pasarica M, Topping D. “An evidence-based approach to teaching obesity management to medical students.” MedEdPORTAL. 2017;13:10062.
- Topping D, Seegmiller J. “Living anatomy small-group exercise.” MedEdPORTAL Publications. 2016;12:10315.
- Topping, DB.“An interprofessional education Russian cultural competence course: implementation and follow up perspectives.” Journal of Interprofessional Care, 2015 29(5): 501-503.
- Topping, DB.“Gross anatomy videos: Student satisfaction, usage and effect on student performance in a condensed curriculum.” Anatomical Sciences Education,2014 Jul-Aug; 7(4):273-279.
- Topping, DB, Brown PW, Hassold TJ: “Synaptic defects at meiosis I and non-obstructive azoospermia.” Human Reproduction, 2006 Dec; 21(12):3171-7.
- Topping DB, Hueston WJ, MacGilvray P: “Family physicians delivering babies: what do obstetricians think?” Family Medicine. 2003 Nov-Dec; 35(10): 737-41.
- Minter, RM, Spengler KK, Topping D, Flug R, Copeland, EM, Lind DS: “Institutional validation of breast cancer treatment guidelines.” Journal of Surgical Research. 2001 Sep; 100(1): 106-109.
- Josephs MD, Solorzano CC, Taylor M, Rosenberg JJ, Topping D, Abouhamze, Mackay SL, Hirsch D, Labow M, Moldawer LL: “Modulation of the acute phase response by altered expression of the IL-l type 1 receptor or IL-1ra.” Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2000 April; 278(4): R824-30.
- Edwards PD, Topping DB, Kontaridis MI, Moldawer LL, Copeland EM 3rd, Lind DS: “Arginine-enhanced enteral nutrition augments the growth of a nitric oxide- producing tumor.” Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. 1997 July; 21(4): 215-219.
- Edwards PD, Cendan JC, Topping DB, Moldawer LL, MacKay S, Copeland EM 3rd, Lind DS: “Tumor cell nitric oxide inhibits cell growth in vitro, but stimulates tumorigenesis and experimental lung metastasis in vivo.” Journal of Surgical Research. 1996 June; 63(1): 49-52.
- Cendan JC, Topping DB, Pruitt J, Snowdy S, Copeland EM 3rd, Lind DS: “Inflammatory mediators stimulate arginine transport and arginine-derived nitric oxide production in a murine breast cancer cell line.” Journal of Surgical Research. 1996 February; 60(2):284-288.
Abstracts and Presentations
- Abrams M, Sanchez K, Khallouq BB, Topping DB. “The Importance of Personal Contact with LGBTQI+ patients.” (Abstract submitted to 2019 AMA EXPO Research Symposium, Nov 2019, San Diego, CA).
- D Harmon, MH Hankin, J Martindale, Anna Farias, MM Cotter, D Royer, D Topping, K Latacha, A Zumwalt, EKN Lopez, T McNary, L Giannaris, R Kar, A Notebaert. “Essential Anatomy for Clerkships and Electives – A Multi-Site Survey of Clinical Educators” (Abstract accepted for poster presentation at the annual EB/AAA meeting 2019).
- Topping, D. “Authentic Learning in the Anatomy Laboratory: The Application, Imaging, and Dissection Approach.” (Abstract accepted for poster presentation at the 2019 SGEA Regional Meeting in Orlando, FL)
- Bell C, Tran K, Topping DB, Khallouq BB. “LGBTQ Sexual Health Education among Medical Students.” (Poster presented at the 2019 Q-Med: Building LGBTQI+ Leaders in Health Care Conference, New Haven, RI, Mar 2019)
- Sanchez K, Petersen K, Khallouq BB, Topping D. “Student Attitudes: The Impact of LGBTQ Medical Education Interventions.” (Poster presented at the 2018 AMA Research Symposium, National Harbor, MD).
- Topping, DB, Rae G, Pasarica, M, Husain M. “Pathology in the Gross Anatomy Laboratory – The Silent Mentor?” (Speaker symposium accepted for the annual EB/AAA meeting in 2019).
- Topping, D.B, Smith, A. “Multi-Modal Gross Anatomy Education: Translating Knowledge to the Clinic.” (Abstract submitted to 2018 AACA Annual Conference, July 2018).
- Topping, D.B., Kassab A.J., Samsam M. “A Clinically Oriented Approach to Anatomy Instruction in Biomedical Engineering Education Utilizing Cadavers – a Collaborative Effort in Medical and Engineering Education.” (Poster presentation accepted at the annual Experimental Biology meeting in April 2018).
- Tran K, Khallouq BB, Mehta A, Topping, DB. “Narrative-Based Medicine: An Approach to Help Improve Healthcare in the LGBT Population.” (Poster presented at the 15th Annual AMA Research Symposium, Nov 2017).
- Neuberger, L., Topping, D.,Hsu, S., Ghim, S., & Landis, E. Use of Emotional Language in Medical Student Encounters with Standardized Patients. (Poster presentation at the 2016 International Communication Association Conference, Fukuoka, Japan.)
- Neuberger, L., Topping, D.,Ghim, S., Hsu, S., & Landis, E. Stressed out students: Examining Medical Student Communication with Calm and Hostile Standardized Patients. (Poster presentation at the 2016 International Communication Association Conference, Fukuoka, Japan.)
- Kay D, Miller S, St. Onge E, Simms-Cendan J, Topping D, Bellew C. “Understanding Healthcare for the Homeless: An Interprofessional Advocacy Workshop” (Poster presentation at the 2015 SGEA Meeting, April 2015, Annual Meeting.)
- Ghim S, Hsu S, Johnson T, Cendan J, Topping D: “A Novel Approach to the Evaluation of Simulated Hostile Patient Encounters on Stress and Performance in First-Year Medical Students.” (Poster presentation at the 15th International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare, February 2015, Annual Meeting.)
- Topping, DB:“A Novel Course in both Interprofessional Education and Cultural Competency: Implementation and Follow Up of Participants One Year Later.” (Oral presentation at the Global Alliance for Medical Education, May 2014, Annual Meeting).
- Topping DB:“Learning Surface Anatomy from Videos: A Retrospective Study.” (Poster presentation at the American Association of Clinical Anatomists, July 2014, Annual Meeting).
- Topping, DB: “Russian for Healthcare Professionals – a Novel Interdisciplinary Approach.” (Presented at the Russian American Medical Association November 2013 Annual National Meeting in Clearwater, FL).
- Topping, DB: “Gross Anatomy Videos: Student Satisfaction, Usage and Effect on Student Performance in a Shrinking Curriculum.” (Presented at the American Association of Clinical Anatomists July 2013 annual meeting in Denver, CO).
- Lind DS, Topping DB, Kontaridis MI, Edwards PD, Moldawer LL, Copeland EM 3rd: “Nitric oxide contributes to adriamycin’s anti-tumor effect.” Abstract accepted to the Association for Academic Surgery Meeting in Chicago, November 1996.
- Topping, DB, Brown PW, Hassold TJ: “Immunocytogenetics and male infertility: an update.” The Genetics of Male Infertility,1sted, 2007.
- Topping, D. (2018) Russian for Healthcare Providers. Retrieved from https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id1336729276