Dr. Alina Gonzalez-Mayo has over 20 years’ experience in the field of Psychiatry. She has held many prominent positions including, Bay Pines VA Medical Center Psychiatrist, Private Practice MD, and Kaplan Medical Director of Psychiatry. Additionally, Dr. Gonzalez-Mayo has held prestigious Administrative roles. Her current roles include, Section Chief of Inpatient Unit, Chair of Education Committee (Mental Health Section) and Chair of Ethics Consult Committee – all with Bay Pines VA Medical Center.
Dr. Gonzalez-Mayo is a Fellow of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. She is also affiliated with the American Academy of Psychiatry, Florida Psychiatric Society, and Greater Tampa Bay Psychiatric Society. Dr. Gonzalez-Mayo was awarded that Friends of Social Work Award, with Bay Pines VA Medical Center, and the Iris Award with the National Alliance on Mental Illness.
In partnership with the VA, UCF College of Medicine has identified individuals that provide a significant contribution to the college and medical students. Dr. Gonzalez-Mayo joined the college in May of 2016 as part of this partnership. VA faculty members are invited to participate in teaching assignments, curriculum and admissions committees, student affairs and research mentorship. Their contributions make a significant impact for both the college and students.
Recent Lectures and Workshops
- Psychological First Aid to First Responders, St. Petersburg College (2014)
- Pre Attack Behaviors of Active Shooters, St. Petersburg College (2014)
- Baker Act Panel Discussion, Bay Pines VA Medical Center (2014)
- DSM 5 Changes, St. Petersburg College (2014)
- Psychopharmacology Updates, Bay Pines VA Medical Center (2013)
- Personality Disorders and Their Treatment, Bay Pines VA Medical Center (2013)
- Ethics 101, Bay Pines VA Medical Center (2013)
- Ethics and the Law, Bay Pines VA Medical Center (2012)
- Insanity Defense, Bay Pines VA Medical Center (2012)
- Borderline Personality Disorder, Bay Pines VA Medical Center (2011)