Dr. Rizvi joined the UCF College of Medicine in 2021. He previously held academic practices at the Medical College of Georgia, University of South Carolina, and Emory University. He is active in patient care and his interests include diabetes, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, thyroid disorders, dyslipidemia, adult growth hormone replacement, and general endocrinology. He is particularly interested in intensive glucose monitoring and optimal treatment of diabetes and its complications in the outpatient setting, in hospitalized patients, and at the societal level.
Dr. Rizvi has had extensive experience in teaching endocrine fellows, internal medicine residents, and medical students. He has been the recipient of the Community-Based Teaching Award from the American College of Physicians and two Teaching Advancement Awards. In recognition of his distinguished teaching and scholarship efforts, he was awarded the A.T. Chalk Endowed Chair Professorship in Internal Medicine by the University of South Carolina, which he held from 2007 to 2019. Caring for his patients and training future doctors give him the greatest satisfaction.
Dr. Rizvi has contributed to professional medical societies and served on several institutional, statewide, and national committees. He participates in clinical and research collaborations internationally. He has received numerous research grants and has authored many publications and scientific presentations. He volunteers in the community and at camps for children with diabetes. Dr. Rizvi enjoys reading, running, swimming, and hiking during his free time.
- Banerjee Y, Pantea Stoian A, Cicero AFG, Fogacci F, Nikolic D, Sachinidis A, Rizvi AA, Janez A, Rizzo M. Inclisiran: a small interfering RNA strategy targeting PCSK9 to treat hypercholesterolemia. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2021 Oct 1. doi: 10.1080/14740338.2022.1988568. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34596005.
- Rizvi AA, Stoian AP, Rizzo M. Metabolic Syndrome: From Molecular Mechanisms to Novel Therapies. Int J Mol Sci. 2021 Sep 17;22(18):10038. doi: 10.3390/ijms221810038. PMID: 34576200.
- Shahzadi SK, Naidoo N, Alsheikh-Ali A, Rizzo M, Rizvi AA, Santos RD, Banerjee Y. Reconnoitering the Role of Long-Noncoding RNAs in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: A Descriptive Review. Int J Mol Sci. 2021 Aug 29;22(17):9378. doi: 10.3390/ijms22179378. PMID: 34502285; PMCID: PMC8430576.
- Rizvi AA. Metabolic Aspects of Five Commonly Used Non-Insulin Anti-Hyperglycemic Medications in Type 2 Diabetes. Journal of Modern Medicinal Chemistry. 2021;9:25-31.
- Rizvi AA, Stoian AP, Lessan N, Rizzo M. Endocrinology in the Time of COVID-19: A Rapid Evolution of Knowledge and Care. Medicina. 2021; 57(8):805.
- Banerjee Y, Pantea Stoian A, Silva-Nunes J, Sonmez A, Rizvi AA, Janez A, Rizzo M. The Role of GLP-1 Receptor Agonists during COVID-19 Pandemia: a Hypothetical Molecular Mechanism. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2021 Aug 23. doi: 10.1080/14740338.2021.1970744. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34424130.
- Dogru T, Kirik A, Gurel H, Rizvi AA, Rizzo M, Sonmez A. The Evolving Role of Fetuin-A in Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: An Overview from Liver to the Heart. Int J Mol Sci. 2021 Jun 21;22(12):6627. doi: 10.3390/ijms22126627. PMID: 34205674; PMCID: PMC8234007.
- Rizvi AA, Janez A, Al Mahmeed W, Rizzo M. Diabetes and COVID-19: A Tale of Two Pandemics. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2021 Jun 25. doi: 10.1097/FJC.0000000000001047. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34173808.
- Lewis CE, Fine LJ, Beddhu S, et al.: SPRINT Research Group. Final Report of a Trial of Intensive versus Standard Blood-Pressure Control. N Engl J Med. 2021 May 20;384(20):1921-1930. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1901281. PMID: 34010531.
- Giglio RV, Stoian AP, Al-Rasadi K, Banach M, Patti AM, Ciaccio M, Rizvi AA, Rizzo M. Novel Therapeutical Approaches to Managing Atherosclerotic Risk. Int J Mol Sci. 2021 Apr 28;22(9):4633. doi: 10.3390/ijms22094633. PMID: 33924893.
- Rizvi AA. Progress in Metabolic Syndrome Research. First ed. Ulrig GT, editor. New York: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.; 2006. Chapter 4, The emerging role of inflammatory markers in the metabolic syndrome 89-109p.
- Rizvi AA. Research Trends in Nutrition for the Middle Aged and Elderly. First ed. Urster JP, editor. New York: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.; 2008. Chapter 6, 2. Nutritional considerations in older persons with diabetes mellitus 187-206p.
- Rizvi AA. Inflammation Research Perspectives. First ed. Romano GT, editor. New York: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.; 2008. Chapter 2, Inflammation in type 2 diabetes and the metabolic syndrome 17-39p.
- Rizvi AA. Metabolic Syndrome Research Trends. First ed. Batone TE, editor. New York: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.; 2008. Chapter 7, The emerging role of inflammatory markers in the metabolic syndrome 171-190p.
- Rizvi AA. Hypertension: A Case-Based Approach. First ed. DiPette DJ, Edwards E, editors. New Delhi, India: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd; 2018. Chapter 11, Management of Hypertension in the Patient with Diabetes p 235-251p.
Education & Specialties
Education and Training:
MD: King Edward Medical College, Lahore, Pakistan
Internship, Internal Medicine: Nassau County Medical Center, Long Island, New York
Residency, Internal Medicine: Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio
Fellowship: Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism: Stanford University, Palo Alto, California
- Endocrinology and Diabetes
- Insulin Resistance, Diabetes, Hypertension, and Metabolic Syndrome
No recent media. Please check back soon.