The College of Medicine has the following academic units through which it delivers its academic programs:
BURNETT SCHOOL OF BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES
The Director of the Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences reports to the Dean and is responsible for the conduct of research within the School for the undergraduate and graduate programs offered by the School at the University.
DEPARTMENT OF CLINICAL SCIENCES
The Chair of the Department of Clinical Sciences reports to the Dean and is responsible for the conduct of research, healthcare delivery, and education by the faculty within the Department.
DEPARTMENT OF INTERNAL MEDICINE
The Chair of the Department of Internal Medicine reports to the Dean and is responsible for the conduct of research, healthcare delivery, and education by the faculty within the Department.
DEPARTMENT OF MEDICAL EDUCATION
The Chair of the Department of Medical Education reports to the Dean and is responsible for the conduct of research, and education by the faculty within the Department.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF DEPARTMENT CHAIRS
Chairpersons are appointed by the Dean and serve at the pleasure of the Dean for terms renewed annually, starting at the beginning of the academic year. For the academic mission, the following responsibilities will apply to Chairs, and will be evaluated by the Dean:
- To convene regular meetings of the Department for the purpose of discussing curriculum, scheduling, staffing and other concerns.
- To serve as a member of the Executive Faculty and the College of Medicine Enterprise and to represent the Department with the administration and personnel committees regarding new appointments, reappointments, and terminations.
- To make recommendations concerning the appointment of faculty, division chiefs and program directors (where appropriate), and to supervise and evaluate their performance of duties.
- To assure the maintenance of quality of instruction, organization of faculty evaluation, review of faculty credentials, and recruitment of faculty as necessary.
- To oversee the design of an appropriate syllabus for each module or clerkship.
- To coordinate the purchase of equipment, and to develop and to manage the Departmental budget.
- To prepare an annual report to the Dean concerning Departmental activities.
- To maintain Departmental records.
- To assist COM in ongoing reviews by external agencies (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Liaison Committee on Medical Education, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education) program review.
- To facilitate assessment activities.
While Chairs are evaluated annually, they will undergo more comprehensive reviews and reappointment on five year cycles. The review will consist of personal performance reviews of the Chair and comprehensive reviews assessing the state of their Department against national norms. Faculty and staff polling and external evaluators may be used in these five-year reviews.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE DIRECTOR OF THE BURNETT SCHOOL OF BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES
Similar procedures are applicable to the Director as stated for Chairpersons. The Director is a member of the Executive Faculty and the College of Medicine Enterprise.