Welcome to the UCF College of Medicine Office of Continuous Professional Development (CPD)! Are you looking for CME? You’re in the right place. COM has developed a global office for professional development in order to effectively incorporate educational activities for physicians, nurses, pharmacists and other members of the health care team. CPD works with faculty, clinical and research departments and affiliate academic and healthcare partners to identify relevant, educational opportunities designed to change learner competence, performance, or patient outcomes.
The University of Central Florida College of Medicine’s Continuous Professional Development (CPD) Mission is to change our learners’ competence, performance or patient outcomes. In order for the CPD Program to achieve its mission, 70% of the activity respondents will have indicated changes in competence, performance or patient outcomes on the evaluations and outcome surveys as a result of their participation in CPD educational activities. CPD will accomplish the expected results by developing and implementing a broad range of educational activities designed to convey up-to-date clinical practices and faculty development.
Integral to our mission, is the ongoing Program evaluation and analysis to assess the efficacy of the Program’s activities in attaining the intended changes in our learners, the extent to which our mission is being met, and the identification of needed or desired changes in the overall Program to improve our ability to meet the mission. Lastly, we will support the mission of the University of Central Florida College of Medicine by inspiring individuals to be exemplary physicians and scientists, leaders in medicine, scholars in discovery, and adopters of innovative technology to improve the health and well-being of all.
In collaboration with UCF’s Office of Continuing Education, CPD offers full service educational event planning, continuing medical education/continuing education credit, and education consulting services.
Specific services include:
- ACCME accreditation compliance
- Educational activity approval
- Credit tracking
- Consultation on educational processes and accreditation issues
- Activity development assistance
Event planning services include:
- AV Operations
- Bill processing
- Budget development and monitoring
- Meeting logistics
- Meeting reports
- Onsite registration services
- Printing and graphics
- Promotion and publicity
- Record maintenance
- Meeting website support
- Speaker arrangements
- Travel and transportation
Through both direct and joint sponsorship, CPD offers regularly scheduled conferences (seminar series and grand rounds), regional and national symposia, enduring materials (online learning), live courses and workshops, research conferences, faculty development programs, and professional skill-building activities.
Continuous Professional Development serves as a provider, co-provider, or joint provider of educational activities that do not accept commercial support.
If you wish to offer AMA PRA Category 1™ credit for your next event please follow the procedure instructions and download the accompanying materials below.
- Complete CPD Disclosure Form.
- All planners and faculty in charge of the content of the educational activity must complete the CPD Disclosure Form for identification and resolution of any potential conflicts of interest.
- Complete CPD Application.
- The CPD staff can offer assistance to ensure that the educational activity has been planned in compliance with ACCME Criterion, Standards for Commercial Support, UCF Industry Relations Policy and Guidelines, and CPD policies.
- Submit the CPD Application and all planner/faculty disclosure forms for processing.
- E-Mail completed materials to the CPD Coordinator (Alaina West, email@example.com)
- The CPD Coordinator will review the application and forward to the CPD Advisory Committee for approval and provide additional instructions once an approval decision has been made.
Advancing Clinical Teachers (ACT)
*up to 5.5 AMA PRA Category 1™ credits
ACT is an online program that reviews relevant clinical teaching topics. The ACT program will instruct residents and faculty in best practices for medical education. Participants should bear in mind that the concepts in these modules will not only advance their teaching ability, but also provide them with the tools to become a better lifelong learner. If you would like to receive a Certificate of Completion for this course please contact Faculty Development at firstname.lastname@example.org to be enrolled.
This program can be customized for specific faculty groups. Please contact Faculty Development at email@example.com to customize a program for your faculty group.
Faculty Curriculum Retreat 2017: Curricular Reform
*up to 3.5 AMA PRA Category 1™ credits
This retreat explored the College of Medicine’s readiness for curricular change and competency based medical education. Presentations were given by two prestigious guest speakers: Dr. Vivian T. Obeso, MD FACP, Associate Professor, Assistant Dean for Curriculum in Medical Education, FIU College of Medicine whose presentation was on using EPAs as one framework for competency based education; and Dr. Karen Hauer, MD, PhD, Professor, UCSF School of Medicine, who presented information about shifting the curriculum and creating a dashboard for the UCSF bridges program.
For more information on the bridges curriculum: http://meded.ucsf.edu/bridges
M3/M4 Recognition Event
September 15, 2017
2.0 AMA PRA Category 1™
Despite enormous advances in healthcare, patients and doctors alike are dissatisfied with their experience. So much of medicine has been boiled down to rote algorithms and assembly line care. Seeking inspiration from the gripping narratives of urban medicine to the unlikely poetry of the ICU, Dr. Danielle Ofri’s presentations probes the most fundamental aspect of medical care – how doctors and patients connect. Dr. Ofri is an Associate Professor at the NYU School of Medicine. She will be giving two presentations: What Patients Say, what Doctors Hear (And Vice Versa) at 12:30 PM and Singular Intimacy: Connecting the Bridge Between Doctor and Patient at 6 PM. Each session will offer 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1™ credits.
CPD Advisory Committee
- Richard Peppler, PhD, Faculty and Academic Affairs, Medical Education, COM**
- Stephen Berman MD, PhD, Clinical Sciences, COM
- Andrea Berry MPA, Faculty Development, COM
- Shiva Kalidindi, MD, MPH, MS(Ed.), FAAP, Nemours Children’s Hospital
- Bernard Gros MD, Internal Medicine, COM
- Mary Beth Harris, Graduate Medical Education, COM
- Victor Herrera MD, Florida Hospital
- Todd Freece, UCF Continuing Education
- Saleh Naser PhD, Burnett School, COM
- Andrew Payer PhD, Medical Education, COM
- Lucia Schweitzer, Planning and Knowledge Management, COM
- Jennifer Thompson MD, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Orlando
- Sharon Whitmer EdD, Advisor
- Loretta Forlaw, PhD, RN, FACHE, College of Nursing
- Shannon Miller, Pharm D, BCACP, UF College of Pharmacy, Orlando
- Alaina West, CPD Coordinator
- Mariana Dangiolo MD, Clinical Sciences, COM*
*Ad hoc member for activities seeking AAFP certification
**Continuous Professional Development Advisory Committee Chair
CPD has established the following policies to remain compliant with accreditation standards.
- Policy 1.0 – Advisory Committee Membership
- Policy 2.0 – Expenditures and Income for Educational Activities
- Policy 3.0 – Planning an Educational Activity
- Policy 4.0 – Honorarium, Out-Of-Pocket Expenses and Travel
- Policy 5.0 – Commercial Exhibitors
- Policy 6.0 – Independence from the Control of a Commercial Interest
- Policy 7.0 – Management of Associated Commercial Promotion
- Policy 8.0 – Appropriate Handling of Commercial Support
- Policy 9.0 – Disclosure of Relevant Financial Relationships
- Policy 10.0 – Resolution for Conflicts of Interest
- Policy 11.0 – Commercial Bias in Content and Format
- Policy 12.0 – Content Validation and Verification
|Wednesday, August 16th||The Ophthalmic Exam SAVED my Child’s Life: Clinical Clues to Systemic Disorders
Presented by: Karen Shimshak, MD
8:00 – 9:00am; Nemours Children’s Hospital Auditorium
|Online||Advancing Clinical Teachers
Created by COM Faculty Development
Click here for more information!
* up to 5.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits ™
|Faculty Curriculum Retreat: Curricular Reform
Presented by COM Faculty Development
Click here for more information!
* up to 3.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits ™
|Online||Medscape Online CME Activities
Browse dozens of free CME activities organized by specialty
Click here for more information!
If you have any questions, concerns, or need assistance with your CME tracker profile please do not hesitate to contact the CPD Coordinator, Alaina West.
Continuous Professional Development
University of Central Florida | College of Medicine | 6850 Lake Nona Boulevard, Orlando, FL 32827
Office: 407-266-1128 | Fax : 407-266-1199 | firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Central Florida is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.