About Xiang (Shawn) Zhu
Xiang (Shawn) Zhu has his Masters of Science degree in Biology and has over 25 years of experience as a biostatistician. He began his career at the National Environment & Wildlife Monitoring Center for the State Forestry Administration in Beijing, China as a biostatistician, senior biologist, and wildlife ecologist. He developed survey and monitoring methods for large-scale environmental protection projects at the national level, and was a member of IUCN Species Survival Commission Specialist Groups. After a decade of work experience there, Mr. Zhu continued his career in a number of roles at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, including teaching assistant and research assistant in the Department of Zoology, and Faculty of Forestry. In the past 10 years, he worked as a senior biostatistician and database administrator for the Cancer Institute and the Center for Interventional Endoscopy at Florida Hospital in Orlando. He supported, consulted and performed statistical analysis for over 100 clinical trial researches, and developed solid skills in mentoring students and delivering consultation services to physicians of various specialties.
Mr. Zhu joined the College of Medicine in 2019. He works as an Assistant in Medicine and Biostatistician for the Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences. He will be involved in faculty research projects, providing biostatistical consultation and data analysis services. He also acts as support for the faculty in study design and preparation of NIH grant proposals throughout the year. He mentors students for their research needs and thesis writing. Mr. Zhu is a member of the American Statistical Association. His solid expertise in Biology and as a Bio-statistician, plus skills on Stata, SAS and R programming, will serve him well in this role.
- Jessica A. Kennard, Amanda J. Stephens, Sarfraz Ahmad, Xiang Zhu, Charanjeet Singh, Nathalie D. McKezie, James E. Kendrick, Robert W. Holloway. Sentinel lymph nodes (SLN) in endometrial cancer: The relationship between primary tumor histology, SLNmetastasis size, and non-sentinel node metastasis. Gynecologic Oncology, April 2019.
- Udayakumar Navaneethan, Xiang Zhu, Mansour A Parsi, Shyam Varadarajulu. Pre-operative biliary drainage is associated with shortened survival time in patients with cholangiocarcinoma. Gastroenterology Report, February 2019.
- Reza J, Almodovar AJ, Srivastava M, Veldhuis PP, Patel S, Fanaian N, Zhu X, Litherland SA, Arnoletti JP. K-RAS Mutant Gene Found in Pancreatic Juice Activated Chromatin From Peri-ampullary Adenocarcinomas. Epigenet Insights, February 2019.
- Yuan C, Boyd AM, Nelson J, Patel RD, Varela JC, Goldstein SC, Ahmad S, Zhu X, Mori S. Eltrombopag for Treating Thrombocytopenia after Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant, January 2019.
- Wang RC, Mori S, Zhu X, Varela JC, Dickman D, Patel R, Ward D, Goldstein SC, Chang CC. Increased bone marrow CD56bright natural killer cells at 30 days after allogeneic stem cell transplantation associated with adverse patient outcome. Bone Marrow Transplant, December 2018.
- Arnoletti JP, Fanaian N, Reza J, Sause R, Almodovar AJ, Srivastava M, Patel S, Veldhuis PP, Griffith E, Shao YP, Zhu X, Litherland SA. Pancreatic and bile duct cancer circulating tumor cells (CTC) form immune-resistant multi-cell type clusters in the portal venous circulation. Cancer Biol Ther, August 2018.
- Udayakumar Navaneethan, Xiang Zhu, Dennisdhilak Lourdusamy, Vennisvasanth Lourdusamy, Bo Shen and Ravi Kiran. Colorectal cancer resection rates in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: a population-based study. Gastroenterology Report, 6(4), 2018, 263–269.
- Benjamin Tharian MD, Konrad Krall BS CT, Xiang Zhu MS, Nayana George MD, Michael Chambers, Shyam Varadarajulu MD, and Shantel Hebert-Magee MD. Endosonographer-driven dynamic telecytopathology of pancreatic lesions—a pilot study. Journal of the American Society of Cytopathology (2018) 7, 86-91.
- Zhou Y, Chen S, Zhu X, Gui J, Abusaada K. Prior beta blockers use is independently associated with increased inpatient mortality in patients presenting with acute myocardial infarction. Int J Cardiol. September 2017.
- Navaneethan U, Njei B, Zhu X, Kommaraju K, Parsi MA, Varadarajulu S. Safety of ERCP in patients with liver cirrhosis: a national database study. Endosc Int Open. 2017 Apr;5(4).