About Saleh M. M. Rahman, MD, Ph.D., M.P.H
Dr. Saleh Rahman received his Doctor of Medicine (M.B.B.S) degree from Sir Salimullah Medical College, Dhaka University, Bangladesh in 1992, Post-Graduation Fellowship in Endocrinology, Joslin Diabetes Center, Harvard Medical School under the International Diabetes Federation Short Training Fellowship Award in 1995, Master of Public Health degree from Harvard University School of Public Health in 1997 and Doctor of Philosophy degree from UAB School of Public Health in 2001.
The UCF College of Medicine welcomed Dr. Rahman as a Professor of Medicine in July of 2016. Dr. Rahman is a member of the Medical Education department. He is responsible for integrating preventive and social medicine, epidemiology and biostatistics in particular, into the medical education curriculum. He is actively involved in the Focused Inquiry and Research Experience in the first two years. Before joining UCF, Dr. Rahman previously taught as a Professor of Behavioral Science and Health Education at Florida A&M University, Clinical Research Professor of Medicine at Florida State University College of Medicine, served as the Director, Community outreach and Preventive Services Core, a NIH-funded P20 Center of Excellence for Cancer Research, Training and Community Service. During his time at FAMU, he was awarded the Public Health Teacher of the Year award in 2013, American Public Health Association-PHEHP Early Career Award in 2006, AACR Minority Serving Institution Faculty Scholar Award in 2008 and 2010. Dr. Rahman has professional experience in health disparity research, CBPR, Global Health, Diabetes prevention, HIV/STDs prevention, and cancer prevention and control.
Dr. Rahman is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), American Public Health Association (APHA) and the International Diabetes Federation (IDF). He serves as an Editorial Board Member of Universal Journal of Public Health and as a reviewer of numerous peer-reviewed journals. He is an elected Council of PHEHP Section and PHEHP Liaison to International Health Section of APHA. He has presented his research at numerous national, international and local conferences, and published scholarly articles in a variety of peer-reviewed scientific journals. Dr. Rahman is also a nationally awarded published author of his mother tongue, Bengali (pen-name: Sezan Mahmud) and so far published 27 books in his native language.
- Brown, J., Rahman SMM., et al., Community Intervention Increases Breast Cancer Knowledge among Underserved African-American Women, Health Education and Behavior (Under review)
- Kanninjing E., Rahman SMM., Close F., Pierre R., Dutton M., Lamango N., Onokpise O. Prostate cancer screening knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs among men in Bamenda, Cameroon. International Journal of Public Health and Epidemiology. Vol 6(4), pp 339-349, 2017.
- Sadiq B., Brown CP., Huffer FW., Onubogu U., Dutton M., Becker A., Rahman SMM., : Effect of Meteorological Variables on Malaria Incidence in Ogun State, Nigeria. International Journal of Public Health and Epidemiology. Vol 4(10), pp 205-15, 2015.
- Rahman SMM., Brown J., Rahman S., Vilme H., Hayes M.. Evaluation of community-based projects to reduce cancer disparities among underrepresented groups and participants satisfaction in health disparities projects. Cancer and Oncology Research, Vol.1(2): 55-64, 2013
- Rahman SMM., Rahman S., Vilme H., Hayes M. Closing the Gap: An evaluation of community-based projects to reduce diabetes disparities among minority and underrepresented groups. Universal Journal of Public Health, Vol. 1(3), 65-71, 2013.
- Boston PQ., Rahman SMM., Brown CP., Lopez IA., Musinggo M., Gadio CM., The Ability of Women to Overcome Household Food Insecurity: Social Support & Social Networks. Universal Journal of Public Health, Vol. 1(4), 166-171, 2013.
- Wilson M., Rahman SMM., Lopez IA., Kiros GE., Delores JCS., Dignan MB. Perceived Parental Support and Self-efficacy for Avoiding Sedentary Behaviors and Overweight Status among African American Children, Universal Journal of Public Health, Vol. 2(1), pp. 1 – 9 , 2014.
- Rahman SMM., Price JH., Dignan MB, Rahman S. et al., Access to Mammography Facilities and Breast Cancer Stage at Diagnosis Does geographic distance predict? International Journal of Cancer Prevention (IJCP), 2010. Vol.3 (3), 137-147.
- Rahman SMM, Rahman S. Breast cancer perceptions, knowledge and behavioral practices among women living in a rural community, International Journal of Cancer Prevention (IJCP), Vol.2 (6), 415-425 2008.
- Rahman S., Price JH., Dignan MB, Rahman SMM et al., Access to Mammography Facilities and Detection of Breast Cancer by Screening mammography: A GIS Approach. International Journal of Cancer Prevention (IJCP), Vol.2 (6), 403-414, 2008.
- Rahman S.,, Hu H., McNeely E., Peters J., Rahman SMM., Harris C. M., Harris C. H., Prothrow-Stith D., Krieger N., Gibbs B., Gragg R. D. Social and Environmental Determinants of Hypertension in African American. Florida Public Health Review, Vol. 5 (2), 64-72, 2008.
- Rahman S., Rahman SMM. Perceptions, Knowledge and Behavioral Practices Related to Screening Mammogram in Muslim Women. International Journal of Cancer Prevention (IJCP), Vol. 2 (4), 289-296, 2007.