About John Kirkpatrick, M.D.
Dr. John Kirkpatrick has over 30 years’ experience in the medical field and is certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. Dr. Kirkpatrick is the Section Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery with the Orlando VA Medical Center. He has held numerous affiliations and academic appointments throughout his career. Most recently, he was a Professor in the Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation with the University of Florida College of Medicine Jacksonville where he served as chairman from 2006-2013 and program director from 2006-2014. While with the UF College of Medicine, Dr. Kirkpatrick was presented with the Advances in Medical Education Most Outstanding Poster by Faculty Award in 2010.
Dr. Kirkpatrick is a member of the American Orthopaedic Association, where he has served on the Fellowship Committee, Council of Orthopaedic Residency Directors, Sub-Committee on Knowledge and Skill, and Nominating Committee. He is also a Board of Specialty Societies Representative for the Cervical Spine Research Society and an Oral Examiner for the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. Dr. Kirkpatrick is an editorial reviewer for The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Journal of the Southern Orthopaedic Association, and The Spine Journal.
In partnership with the VA, UCF College of Medicine has identified individuals that provide a significant contribution to the college and medical students. Dr. Kirkpatrick joined the college in April of 2016 as part of this partnership. VA faculty members are invited to participate in teaching assignments, curriculum and admissions committees, student affairs and research mentorship. Their contributions make a significant impact for both the college and students.
- Keen J, Lissy C, and Kirkpatrick JS. Failure Mode of Pedicle Screw Fixation Depends Upon the Presence, Absence, and Position of Interbody Spacers. A Pilot Study. Journal of Testing and Evaluation 43(6):1239-1246, 2015.
- Elliott MR, Kirkpatrick JS. Type IIa Hangman’s Fracture with pure distraction: not your typical Type IIa fracture. The Spine Journal 14(7):1360-1361, 2014.
- Kirkpatrick, JS. A Comparison of C1-C2 Transarticular Screw Placement after Self-Education and Mentored Education of Orthopaedic Residents. Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques 25(6):E155-160, 2012.
- Castillo D, McEwen DS, Young L, Kirkpatrick J. Micropuncture Needles Combined with Ultrasound Guidance for Unusual Central Venous Cannulation: Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures-A New Trick for Old Anesthesiologists. Anesthesia and Analgesia 114(3):634-637, 2012.
- Ruffin, S and Kirkpatrick, JS. Rhabdomyolysis and acute renal failure resulting from the prone position on the Jackson spine table: a case report. J Bone Joint Surg Case Connector 1(2)1-3, December 28, 2011.
- Kirkpatrick JS, Cornell CN, Hoang BH, Hsu W, Watson JT, Watters WC, Turkelson CM, Wies JL, Anderson S. AAOS Technology Overview Summary: Bone Void Fillers. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 18(9): 576-579, 2010.
- Mihalko WH, Greenwald S, Lemons JE, Kirkpatrick JS. Orthopaedic Advances: Reporting and Notification of Adverse Events in Orthopaedics. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 18(4):193-198, 2010.
- Hanley EN, Herkowitz HN, Kirkpatrick JS, Wang JC, Chen MN, Kang JD. The Orthopaedic Forum. AOA Symposium. Debating the Value of Spine Surgery. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 92-A(5):1293-1304, 2010.
- Kirkpatrick, JS and Stevens, TR. The FDA Process for Evaluation and Approval of Orthopaedic Devices. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 16(5):260-267, 2008.
- Riel R, Lee M, Kirkpatrick JS. Measurement of a Posterior Occipito-Cervical Fusion Angle. Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques 23(1):27-29, 2010.
- Hodges FS, McAtee S, Kirkpatrick JS, Theiss SM. The ability of MRI to predict failure of nonoperative treatment of pyogenic vertebral osteomyelitis. Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques 19(8):566-570, 2006.