About David Portée, M.D.
Dr. David Portée earned his medical degree from the University of Michigan. He completed his internship at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit and residency at Detroit Rehabilitation Institute, Wayne State Medical Center. Dr. Portée is board certified in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. He is also board-certified being EMG/NCS. He currently holds two appointments with the Orlando Veterans Administration Medical Center, Research & Development Committee member and Chief of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.
Dr. Portée has been given the “Top Doctors” Award Orlando, Florida, in 2008, 2009, 2010, & 2011 and was the first physician to receive the Florida Safety Council’s Golden Star Safety Award, 2005. Throughout his medical career, Dr. Portée has been affiliated with a wide variety of community activities. Most recently, he was Chairman of the Steering Committee for the “Karting with the Stars” Fundraiser in Orlando, Florida. This organization is made up of volunteers that seek to make a difference in the lives of spinal cord injury survivors.
In partnership with the VA, UCF College of Medicine has identified individuals that provide a significant contribution to the college and medical students. Dr. Portée joined the college in June of 2016 as part of this partnership. VA faculty members are invited to participate in teaching assignments, curriculum and admissions committees, student affairs and research mentorship. Their contributions make a significant impact for both the college and students.
Recent Publication and Presentations
- The Relationship between Autonomy, Performance, and Satisfaction: Lessons from a Three-Week User Study with post-SCI Patients using a Smart 6DOF Assistive Robotic Manipulator. Proceedings of 2010 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation. Anchorage, Alaska. May 3-8, 2010.
- 3rd Annual Orthopedic Educational Summit Rehabilitation Medicine and Pharmacology. ORMC. Orlando, Florida. July 14, 2012.
- Spinal Cord Injury Seminar, Pain Management and Rehabilitation. ORMC. Orlando Health. Florida. October 18th & 26th, 2011.
- CMS Final Rules and Rehabilitation Medicine. American Medical Rehabilitation Providers Association (AMRPA). Orlando Health, MD Anderson. Orlando, Florida. November 12, 2010.
- Management of Upper Extremity Spasticity. Open Arms Campaign, Independence Expo. Orlando, Florida. October 1, 2010.
- Empowerment of the Older Women: Sexuality after Stroke. Florida Gerontological Nursing Association. Clarion Inn. Altamonte Springs, Florida. May 13, 2010.
- Focus on Rehabilitation: Advances in Spasticity Management. Orlando Health, Lucerne Hospital. October 9, 2009.
- Pain Management and Traumatic Brain Injury. The 2nd Annual International Brain Conference. Orlando, FL. January 26, 2008.
- Handling Catastrophic Injuries – Damage Control. The 61st Annual Workers’ Compensation Educational Conference. Orlando, FL. August, 15, 2006.
- Stem Cell’s Rehabilitation. Florida Rehabilitation Nurses Association. Orlando, FL. May 13, 2005.