About Aunali Khaku, M.D.
Dr. Khaku is a licensed and board certified Neurologist and Sleep specialist. Dr. Khaku directs the Multiple Sclerosis Clinic at the Orlando VA, where he established the Multiple Sclerosis Center of Excellence Hub. He is a current member of the Florida Society of Neurology.
Dr. Khaku has supervised many UCF medical students and UCF Internal Medicine residents. Additionally, he holds several hospital and university appointments. These include Assistant Professor of Neurology with UCF COM, Assistant Professor of Neurology with Nova Southeastern University, and Orlando VA Research and Development Committee member. Dr. Khaku has been awarded numerous honors over the course of his career. Most recently he received several Blue Ribbon awards for excellence in customer service with the Orlando VA Medical Center.
In partnership with the VA, UCF College of Medicine has identified individuals that provide a significant contribution to the college and medical students. Dr. Khaku joined the college in August of 2016 as part of this partnership. VA faculty members are invited to participate in teaching assignments, curriculum and admissions committees, student affairs and research mentorship. Their contributions make a significant impact for both the college and students.
Recent Publications and Presentations
Peer reviewed articles
- Razafsha M, Khaku A, Azari H, Gold MS et al. Biomarker identification in psychiatric disorders: from neuroscience to clinical practice. J Psychiatr Pract. 2015 Jan;21(1):37-48.
- Razafsha M, Behforuzi H, Harati H, Wafai RA, Khaku A, Mondello S, Gold MS, Kobeissy FH. An Updated Overview of Animal Models in Neuropsychiatry. Neuroscience. 2013 Jun; 14;240:204-18.
- Khaku AS, Hedna VS, Nayak A. Teaching NeuroImages: Hypomelanosis of Ito. Neurology. 2013 Mar 19;80(12):e130.
- V Hedna, et al. Trends in the management of atrial fibrillation: A neurologist’s perspective. J Cardiovasc Dis Res. 2012 Oct;3(4):255-64. (Contributing Author)
- Hedna VS, Stead LG, Bidari S, […], Khaku A, […], Waters MF. Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome (PRES) and CT perfusion changes. Int J Emerg Med. 2012 Feb 29;5:12.
- Khaku AS, Heilman KM. Normal pressure hydrocephalus: measure twice, shunt once. Neurology. 2012 Jan 17;78(3):225-6.
- Guerrero W, Khaku A, Kumar A, Heilman K. Spatially Adherent Graphemic Perseveration. Cogn Behav Neurol. 2010 Dec:23(4):269-73. Poster presented at the AAN Annual Meeting, 2010
Books and Book Chapters
- (In Print): Khaku, A.S. and Ali, SK: Rule Out Acute Stroke. In Neurologic Emergencies: How to Do a Fast Focused Evaluation Of Any Neurologic Complaint, ed: Latha Ganti & Josh Goldstein. Springer.
- Berry, R.B, Khaku, A.S. Chapter 14: Narcolepsy and Idiopathic Hypersomnia. (pp. 185 – 202) in Clinical Sleep Disorders by Paul R. Carney, Richard B. Berry, James D. Geyer. 2012. Lippincott. ISBN: 780781786928
- Ringdahl D.M., Snively C.G., Henderson M.M., Geyer J.D., Khaku A.S., Carney P.R. Appendix D. Pharmacologic Treatments in Clinical Sleep Disorders by Paul R. Carney, Richard B. Berry, James D. Geyer. 2012. Lippincott.