About Angel Cruz, M.S., M.D.
Dr. Angel Cruz has over 40 years’ experience in the medical field. He began his career at the University of Puerto Rico, where he served as Assistant Professor for 5 years at the Medical Sciences Campus in the Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology. Dr. Cruz has also served as Acting Chief of Neurology Service and as Staff Neurologist with the VA Medical Center in Bay Pines, FL.
Dr. Cruz is a member of the American Academy of Neurology and the American Speech, Language and Hearing Association. He also received a Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology (CCC-A) in American Speech with the Language & Hearing Association in Maryland and is a Fellow American Academy of Audiology.
In partnership with the VA, UCF College of Medicine has identified individuals that provide a significant contribution to the college and medical students. Dr. Cruz joined the college in April of 2016 as part of this partnership. VA faculty members are invited to participate in teaching assignments, curriculum and admissions committees, student affairs and research mentorship. Their contributions make a significant impact for both the college and students.
Publications & Research Projects:
- Antonio Culebras, Mark Kline and Angel R. Cruz: “Mapas Topograficos de EEG Cuantitativo,” Rev. Espanola de Neurologia, Vol 1 No.6 325-329, l986
- Majid Molaie, Angel Cruz and Antonio Culebras: “The Effect of Epileptiform Discharges on Neurohormonal Release in Epileptic Patients with Partial Complex Seizures,” Neurology, 38:5, May 1988
- Majid Molaie and Angel Cruz: “The Effect of Sleep Deprivation on the Rate of Focal Interictal Epileptiform Discharges,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, 70:288-292, 1988
- Zachariah SB, Borges EF, Varghese R, Cruz AR, and Ross GS: Response to oral divalproex sodium (Depakote) in patients with spasticity and pain from traumatic injury. The American Journal of Medical Sciences, 3081:1, 38-40, July 1994.
- Vitamin E and memantine in Alzheimer’s disease: Clinical trial methods and baseline data. Dysken MW, Guarino PD, et al. Alzheimers Dement. 2013 Apr 11
- Effect of vitamin E and memantine on functional decline in Alzheimer disease; the TEAM-AD VA cooperative randomized trial. Dysken, MW, et al. JAMA, 311(1); 33-44, JAN 2014
- Antonio Culebras, Mark Kline, Gilbert Ross, Charles Hodge and Angel R. Cruz: “Quantitative EEG Mapping of Cerebral Ischemia,” Neurology, 36:4, April l986
- Majid Molaie, Antonio Culebras and Angel R. Cruz: “The Effect of TRH on Nocturnal Epileptiform Discharges,” Epilepsia, Sep./Oct. Vol. 27, No. 5, p. 623, April l986
- Majid Molaie, Angel R. Cruz and Bobby Taskey: “The Effect of Sleep Deprivation on Interictal Epileptiform Discharges,” Neurology, 37:3, p.100, March 1987
- Majid Molaie and Angel R. Cruz: “The Effect of Epileptiform Discharges on Neurohormonal Secretions,” Neurology, 37:3, p. 145, March l987
- Safety and Effectiveness of the TRAXON Spinal Cord Repair Stimulator in the Treatment of Spinal Cord Injury, Protocol Number 10-28-93-01, Department of Veterans Affairs & American BioInterface Corporation, Co-Investigator, 1993-1994
- Blockage of CGIIB/IIIA Receptor to Vascular Occlusion. Department of Veterans Affairs, Co- Investigator, 2004-2005.
- PRoFESS – Prevention Regimen for Effectively Avoiding Second Strokes, NCT00153062: A Double Blind active and placebo – controlled study of Aggrenox vs clopidogrel + aspirin with and without Micardis. Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Site Principal Investigator, 2003-2007.
- CSP #546 – A Randomized, Clinical Trial of Vitamin E and Memantine in Alzheimer’s Disease (TEAM-AD), NCT00235716: A double-blind, placebo controlled study to compare alpha-tocopherol and memantine (Namenda), or the combination, to significantly delay clinical progression in mild to moderately demented patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Department of Veterans Affairs, Site Principal Investigator, 2009–2012.
- Examination of Optic Nerves Using Fundus Photography: Comparison of Patients with Alzheimer’s Disease with Elderly Normals: Vernon J, Russel T.R., Adler, S.A., Cruz, A, Mcninch, D, Leys, M. Journal of Ophthalmology and Clinical Research Nov, 2014; 1(1):1-4.