The UCF Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences has established agreements with a number of health care provider organizations and physician practitioners in the greater Orlando area to implement one-semester long clinical shadowing internship opportunities for UCF premedical students, as well as a one-year Clinical Research Internship with Florida Hospital Orlando. Participating students are required to register for one credit (MCB 4941) for the one-semester internship courses, and for two credits for the one-year research internship course (MCB 4912). The students’ service efforts and attendance record are evaluated at the end of the semester of service by the physicians they shadow, or by pertinent administrators of the medical facility where their service took place.
Dr. Alicia Hawthorne and Dr. Genaro Lopez oversee the management of these internships, including the selection, placement, and the grading of participants, while the Office of Pre-Health and Pre-Law Advising (OPHPLA) has generously agreed to link interested students with our BSBS website. A committee of faculty from UCF will participate in the review of applications and selection of the internship student participants. The left side of this webpage has descriptions of each internship and their requirements. An Orientation session for selected student participants will take place during the first week of classes on the main UCF campus.
Applications are due by August 1st at 5:00 p.m. for the Fall semester, and by December 1st at 5:00 p.m. for the Spring semester. To apply for one of these internships, please submit an application online and email supplemental materials detailed in the application to BSBSClinIntern@ucf.edu. For questions, please contact Dr. Alicia Hawthorne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications for Spring 2019 BSBS Clinical Internships are now open.
The Optometry Clinical Internship application is due Mon Oct 29 at 5:00 pm:
Optometry Clinical Internship Application Link
The Private Practice and Surgical Internship applications are due Mon Dec 3 at 5:00 pm:
Private Practice and Surgical Internship Application Link
We expect Radiology Clinical Research to open in April for Summer 2019 – Spring 2020.
In addition to the online application, you must submit the following attachments by email to BSBSClinIntern@ucf.edu by the deadine. Please put all items in a single attachment. We prefer pdf but will also accept Word documents.
- Grades: The “Course History” section from your myKnight’s Degree Audit is preferred; however, an unofficial transcript is acceptable. Highlight courses from your major and any other hard science courses you have taken. List the expected grades for courses in which you are currently enrolled.
- Involvement: A CV or resume, including experiences, shadowing, research, clubs, leadership positions, etc., including locations and total hours, if relevant, for each.
- Schedule: Your course schedule (“weekly view”) for the desired internship semester. Note/explain any classes with flexible days/times during the internship semester.
- Picture: A head shot of yourself looking professional, similar to a passport photo.
- Letter of Recommendation: Applicants who are not Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences majors must include a letter of recommendation from a UCF professor. The letter should be emailed as an attachment directly from the professor to BSBSClinIntern@ucf.edu with the student’s name in the subject. The letter must be emailed to BSBSClinIntern@ucf.edu by the deadine.
Please contact Dr. Alicia Hawthorne email@example.com with questions.