The University of Central Florida College of Medicine, Diversity and Inclusion Health Leaders Summer Academy provides hands-on educational summer experiences for 30 high school students who are interested in pursuing professional health related careers. Applicants must be current tenth-grade students (rising juniors) with a strong interest in pursuing a career in the medical field. Students must also have completed one year of Biology prior to the start of the Academy. Students in the Central Florida region will be considered.
Students from underrepresented groups in healthcare will be given first consideration during the application process. The University of Central Florida College of Medicine values diversity in its education, research and community. Our commitment to reflecting the diversity of the Central Florida community in our faculty, staff and students will guide applicant selection. The Health Leaders Summer Academy will take place on two separate weeks based on the county. Osceola County will have their summer academy the week of July 10-14,2017 and Orange County will have their Health Leaders Summer Academy the week of July 17-21 2017, lunch will be provided daily basis and is held at NO COST, although students will need to provide their own transportation to/from UCF main campus and College of Medicine campus.
April 29, 2017-Application Deadline
May 05, 2017-Acceptance Notification will be sent out via email
May 13, 2017-Parent Meeting for students accepted into the program.
(Parent meeting location to be announced in acceptance email)
Through the course of the one week academy, students will participate in exciting and interactive activities in many areas, including the following:
- Microbiology and Forensics Labs
- Group Research
- Lectures and Demonstrations
- State-of-the-art Anatomy Lab
- Opportunity to interact with medical students
At this time, with the number of students applying in Central Florida we haven’t opened it out to other counties. If you have any questions regarding the program, please feel free to contact our office at 407-266-1030.
- Health Leaders Summer Academy – Osceola County Students July 10-14, 2017
- Health Leaders Summer Academy – Orange County Students July 17-21, 2017
- Summer Academy Brochure
Frequently asked questions:
Who can apply to the program?
- Students in the Central Florida region will be considered. Only 30 students are selected for the summer program, if we do not meet the number of students we will open it to other counties.
What will the students be doing?
- Our program provides hands-on educational experiences for under served high school students who are interested in pursuing professional health related careers.
Where will the Health Leaders Summer Academy be held?
- On the UCF main campus and College of Medicine. Students will need to provide their own transportation to and from both campuses.
How do I apply?
- Complete the online application and apply by deadline date of Saturday, April 29, 2017 by 11:59pm (online electronic application). Make sure to include all the requested documents from the check list and email it to the location listed on the application. You will be notified by mail of your acceptance to the Summer Program.