The University of Central Florida College of Medicine, Diversity and Inclusion offer a summer program, Health Leaders Summer Academy (HLSA),is a collaboration between Orange County Public Schools and the School District of Osceola County. The Academy provides hands-on educational summer experiences for high school students who are interested in pursuing professional health related careers. Applicants must be current tenth-grade students (rising juniors) with a strong interest in pursuing a career in the medical field. Students must also have completed one year of Biology prior to the start of the Academy. The academy is open to students in Osceola and Orange County students only and is very competitive.
Students from underrepresented groups in healthcare will be given first consideration during the application process. The University of Central Florida College of Medicine values diversity in its education, research and community. Our commitment to reflecting the diversity of the Central Florida community in our faculty, staff and students will guide applicant selection. The Health Leaders Summer Academy will take place on two separate weeks based on the county. Osceola County will have their summer academy the week of July 09-13,2018 and Orange County will have their Health Leaders Summer Academy the week of July 16-20 2018.
Lunch will be provided on a daily basis and is held at NO COST, although students will need to provide their own transportation to/from UCF main campus and College of Medicine campus.
April 20, 2018-Application Deadline
May 31,,2018-Acceptance Notification will be sent out via email
June 02, 2018-Parent/Student Meeting(mandatory)-Osceola County for students accepted into the program.
June 09, 2018-Parent Student Meeting(mandatory)-Orange County for students accepted into the program.
Through the course of the one week academy, students will participate in exciting and interactive activities in many areas, including the following:
- Microbiology and Forensics Labs
- Group Research
- Lectures and Demonstrations
- State-of-the-art Anatomy Lab
- Opportunity to interact with medical students
If you have any questions regarding the program, please feel free to contact our office at 407-266-1030.
- Health Leaders Summer Academy – Osceola County Students July 09-13, 2018
- Health Leaders Summer Academy – Orange County Students July 16-20, 2018
- Summer Academy Brochure
Frequently asked questions:
Who can apply to the program?
- Students in Osceola and Orange County only will be considered. Only 35 students per county are selected for the summer program.
What will the students be doing?
- Our program provides hands-on educational experiences for underserved high school students who are interested in pursuing professional health related careers.
Where will the Health Leaders Summer Academy be held?
- On the UCF main campus and College of Medicine. Students will need to provide their own transportation to and from both campuses.
How do I apply?
- Complete the online application and apply by deadline date of Thursday, April 20, 2018 by 11:59pm (online electronic application). You will be notified by email of your acceptance to the Summer Program.