The University of Central Florida, College of Medicine, Office of Diversity and Inclusion offers the Health Leaders Summer Academy (HLSA). The Academy provides a one-week hands-on educational summer experiences for high school students who have a strong interest in pursuing a career in medicine. HLSA is a collaboration between UCF COM-Office of Diversity and Inclusion, Orange County Public Schools and the School District of Osceola County. Applicants must be current tenth-grade students (rising juniors). Students must also have completed one year of Biology prior to the start of the Academy. The academy is open to students in Osceola and Orange Counties only and is very competitive.
Students from underrepresented groups will be given first consideration during the application process. The University of Central Florida, College of Medicine values diversity in its education, research and community. Our commitment to reflecting the diversity of the Central Florida community in our faculty, staff and students will guide applicant selection. HLSA will take place during two separate weeks based on the county. Osceola County will have their summer academy the week of July 08-12,2019. Orange County will have their Health Leaders Summer Academy the week of July 15-19, 2019.
Lunch will be provided on a daily basis and is at NO COST. Students will need to provide their own transportation to/from UCF main campus and College of Medicine campus.
Application Availability- TBD
Acceptance Notification- TBD
Parent/Student Meeting(mandatory)-Osceola County TBD.
Parent Student Meeting(mandatory)-Orange County TBD.
Through the course of the one-week academy, students will participate in exciting and interactive activities in many areas, including the following:
- Microbiology and Forensics Labs
- Group Research
- Lectures and Demonstrations
- State-of-the-art Anatomy Lab
- Opportunity to interact with medical students
- Health Leaders Summer Academy – Osceola County Students July 08-12, 2019
- Health Leaders Summer Academy – Orange County Students July 15-19, 2019
- Summer Academy Brochure
Frequently asked questions:
Who can apply to the program?
- Students in Osceola and Orange County only will be considered.
How many students are admitted per county?
- 35 students per county are selected.
What will the students be doing?
- Our program provides hands-on educational experiences for high school students who have a strong interest in pursuing medicine.
Where will the HLSA be held?
- On the UCF main campus and College of Medicine.
Students will need to provide their own transportation to and from both campuses.
How do I apply?
- Complete the online application by the deadline date at 11:59pm.
You will be notified by email of your acceptance to the Summer Program.
Office of Diversity & Inclusion
6850 Lake Nona Blvd.
Orlando, Fl 32827